• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

2334BS - Enhanced Contact Us

first thought,...why don't you speak in your videos. Would like to hear your voice once. lol

How about touch panels? can you swip/drag n drop the circle inside the square?

Great alternative to your math mod. Imagine math and drag n drop. lol

The customer is gonna go nuts. :D

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Desktop systems: Tested in Firefox 29.0 on Linux. No problems found. I hit the 15 minute limit when trying to test with Chromium 34.0.1847.116, Opera 12.16, Midori 0.4.3, and the Windows version of Safari 5.0 under Wine, but I was able to drag and drop to activate the form in each case. I'll try again later if you want.

Mobile: Tested on Android 4.3 (Samsung Galaxy S3) which was also successful.

I like this a lot. If you don't make it an Addon, can I have the code?

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

@@kymation thanks Jim - a couple more testers (hopefully with similar results to yours!) and I'll put something together..

I'll shorten the email timeout to 1 minute (for testing purposes) - I didn't think of that, thanks for the heads-up (now done).

Been testing Burt's initial Math code.

In addition to fixing the typo mentioned in a prior post, I also shorten the math question from: 'What is the sum of %s and %s ?' to: 'What is %s + %s ?' in order to fit the space allocated in 2334bs. I'm still working on a couple of issues:

1) If the customer either doesn't enter the math answer, or gets it wrong:

A ) Burt's "You are a robot or you think 2+2=5. Please go away." message appears at the top of the screen (where the 'Message Sent Successfully' displays), and the pre-filled out form remains, awaiting a correct math answer. However, due to a bug/feature in Firefox (and possible other browsers), the screen refreshes part way down the page, waiting for the user at the top of the form. This causes the 'Please go away' message to display 'above the fold', and the user has to scroll up to even know that it is there.

B ) Since the 'Please go away' code is located high up in contact_us.php, when the screen re-loads, some variables are not re-defined. Thus, I'm seeing the following errors in KissER:

KissER Error Handling:

KissER Error Handling:

E_NOTICE Error Count: 2

Error: Undefined index: subject

File: contact_us.php

Line: 36

Error: Undefined index: orders_id

File: contact_us.php

Line: 39

2) I'm also thinking that, if the customer gets the math wrong, it might be better to display the 'Please go away' message *without* the rest of the 'Contact Us' form on the screen, just like the 'Message Sent Successfully' screen. This way, there's less clutter, and they don't have to scroll up to even know that there is a message/error there. Unfortunately, if/when they then hit the back arrow, they'd have to fill in the form again.

Would it be possible to have a 'Click here to try again' (with the form already pre-filled out) and a 'Click here to cancel' buttons?

Malcolm

PS: Even though I'm testing the Math Question code here, I'm thinking that some of the Logic *may* also apply to other challenges, including Burt's new 'swipe' code.

http://www.template.me.uk/2334bs3/contact_us.php

Note: highly experimental code! May not work, and is not likely to ever be committed.

If some testers can test it, and it works, I'll make an addon of it.

Two quick observations:

1) There is no warning if the user hasn't slid the circle into the square. *Some* users *may* be confused as to why it isn't working.

2) Once you slide the circle into the square, and it says that you can submit the enquiry, you can slide the circle OUT of the square, and the enquiry will still send. I don't see this as a flaw, just an observation.

Malcolm

Bug found: When resubmitting the form in Chromium and Midori after the timeout warning, I can drag the circle and get the "You may now submit the form!" message, but the page just refreshes. No warning is displayed and no message is sent (I assume). Trying a second time works as expected.

Opera and Safari work as expected the first time.

What does the timeout message do? If it's not a complete page refresh, maybe something essential is not getting reset.

Regards

Jim

Rewind...

You've sent a message (successfully) and then inside a minute (timeout) you want to send another message ? In this case, the action_recorder over-rides everything and so no message would be sent, even after the ball is placed into the box...

Let me try this again....

I tried to send a message and got the 15-minute timeout warning message. So I waited more than 15 minutes, and a lot more than the one minute you changed it to, and tried again. This time some browsers sent the message, and some just refreshed the page. No timeout warning message appeared this time. No error message at all. Just a refresh.

Does that make it clear?

Regards

Jim

user.css

#draggable {
 width: 100px;
 height: 100px;
 padding: 0.5em;
 float: left;
 margin: 10px 10px 10px 0;
 border-radius: 100px;
 text-align: center;
 padding-top: 35px;
}
#droppable {
 width: 250px;
 height: 150px;
 padding: 0.5em;
 float: left;
 margin: 10px;
 border-radius: 20px;
}

/includes/template_bottom.php (after the call to the jquery.js, approx line 45)

<script src="//code.jquery.com/ui/1.10.4/jquery-ui.js"></script>

<script src="ext/jquery/touch-punch.min.js"></script>

includes/template_top.php after the endif approx line 42

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="ext/jquery/ui/redmond/jquery-ui-1.8.22.css" />

contact_us.php at the very end of the file after everything

<script>
$(function() {
 $("#draggable").draggable();
 $("#droppable").droppable({
   drop: function(event, ui) {
       console.log(ui.draggable.length);
       $(".submission").val(ui.draggable.data('text'));
       $(this).addClass("ui-state-highlight").find("p").html("You may now submit the form!");
   }
 });
});
</script>

same file, just above buttonset div

note: I don't particularly like the idea for this block of code, but it's what I coded to test the concept, an input field set to display: none; that is required (thereby until it is filled out the form is impossible to submit), and can only be filled out by js trickery (moving the ball into the court)...

<div id="draggable" class="ui-widget-content" data-text="submission">
   <p>Drag me...</p>
 </div>  
 <div id="droppable" class="ui-widget-header">
   <p>Drop here...</p>
 </div>
 <?php
 echo tep_draw_input_field('test', NULL, 'required aria-required="true" style="display: none;" class="submission"');
 ?>
 <div class="clearfix"></div>

DONE!

EXTERNAL SCRIPTS

Now grab the external 3rd party script that allows the jqueryui to be swipeable, it's called "touch punch".

Here is the code: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/furf/jquery-ui-touch-punch/master/jquery.ui.touch-punch.min.js - copy and paste that code into a new file called touch-punch.min.js and save this new file into /ext/jquery/

Visit the contact us page and test it out.

My conclusion:

It is an interesting concept, and could potentially be a good way to stop bots dead...but does need some better "instructions" for the average user...and overall polishing. It's not something I would use on my own sites, I prefer the simple maths question.

Thanks @@burt. I'll go play with that some more when I get a chance.

If you want a really low-impact way of stopping the bots, just add an extra input field and hide it in your stylesheet. The bots never pull the stylesheet, and they try to fill every input, so they'll hit this one too. Just check if the field is not blank and silently fail to send. Works 99% of the time, and the customer never sees a thing.

Regards

Jim

• 1 year later...

@@videod

Hi Dave

Don't know what happen exactly to this story but here a topic about Anti Spam.

Inside it I explain the same thing as shown in the link of my first post in this topic. Burts math solution, simple and easy.

There is a topic somewhere where Mort-lemur shows reCaptcha 2 a newer version of the old reCaptcha.

Then there is burts second solution with the moving shapes into position. That I think was explained also here in this topic.

@@videod if you get the one I mentioned here: http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/408475-recaptcha-v2-looks-so-cool/#entry1734943working then I would be interested in seeing the solution.

Thanks

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

@@burt Tested and works great - but it has not asked me to do any of the quizzes - so I cant comment on the functionality of that part.

Many Thanks

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

@@burt Does that mean Im officially "Normal" ?? (w00t)

Archived