• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How to remove underscore in cPath=48_68 and products_id=

mousewebdesign

For the best SEO underscores can't be used, but when you want to go to a subcategory you get something like this:

www.yourdomain.com/index.php?cPath=48_56

How to remove the underscore between the last 4 digits.

And also when you go the a product detail-page on product_info.php (which I change by hand to product-info.php) the URL displays:

www.yourdomain.com/product-info.php?products_id=235

How to remove the underscore in products_id

I found several pieces of code in application_top.php, general.php and index.php but when I change the underscore to a minus the links won't work.

There is benefit in using a hyphen as opposed to an underscore but only for keyword-related words. No one is going to search for product-info.php and 48-56. Changing the underscore would not make any difference at all with regards to SEO.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

You have a point @@Jack_mcs, but when reviewing the site with popular SEO checkup sites like seositecheckup.com and woorank.com they notice underscores in the url's.

Therefor, to get the best test results, I want to get rid of them. There must be a way I suppose.

It doesn't matter what seositecheckup and woorank think about your level of SEO, it's what Google and other major search engines think. "Test results" are largely irrelevant. Underscores are not seen as separators, but as just an alphabetic character. No one is going to search for 48_56 vs. 48 and 56 (separated by hyphen). Google does not penalize you for having terms linked by an underscore, but you might do better in rankings if you have separate keywords joined by a hyphen instead an underscore (which creates one long word).

Don't blindly follow SEO advice from automated sites. Understand what (and why) they're saying before making changes.

Sites like that just perform tests to check for the presence of the underscore. They don't evaluate it. You are completely wasting your time trying to do what they say.

As for changing the url, I'm sure it is possible but it would be messing with how the basic code works. It would be another mistake. See my profile for what I recommend with regards to SEO. You will do your site a much greater service by making changes that will actually help with SEO.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived