• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

OSCommerce appears to be totally outdated

Fusion616

@@14steve14 - that post states the obvious. It won't happen as no-one has the time to make it happen. The one or two who do have a loaded version won't or can't share. In no way do I say a loaded version would not be useful, in fact I clearly state that having a barebones version allows the shopowner to load up exactly to his/her needs and not to what a developer provides. Can't seem to get through to you that making a loaded version leads to less choice for the shopowner => shopowner want Melons, but loaded give you Lemons, hey, you're stuck with Lemons. BTW how was your experience with Opencart? I guess it was a failure as you're still at this forum and still using osCommerce (15 months later).

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dont you think that all the items I listed should be in the core code. They are in most of the other oscommerce competitors.

Nope. See previous post re Melons and Lemons.

Bit by bit;

Sorry but osC developers seem only to be wanting to produce add-ons that they think the store keeper needs or should have, not what the store keeper really wants.

Absolutely not true. Any developer will continue to work his/her code until the shopkeeper is 100% happy.

Every add-on in the osC database has been designed to work with the author's or developer's own store not for just anybody's store - it might work, it might not, usually it can be made to work if the store owner desperately needs it.

And every addon was uploaded by the author at no cost to the end user of it. It is the end users responsibility to make it fit better if it is not perfect.

You are suggesting that a plug in system will work but what you don't say is whether it will be exactly what the store owner wants, and then the store owner has to wait on the developer to get what he wants but the developer doen't know, care or understand what the store owner wants and insists that his plugin does exactly what the store owner needs.

Of course it won't be exactly as the shopowner wants - as it is not built specifically for that shopowner :rolleyes:

osC developers are the tail of the dog - they need to listen carefully to what the head of the dog - the store owners - have to say about what they want in their store, not try wagging the dog as they seem to be now!

LOL, I like this saying. Seems to me shopowners have forgotten who creates & supports. It aint other shopowners, eh Juls ?

@@14steve14 - that post states the obvious. It won't happen as no-one has the time to make it happen. The one or two who do have a loaded version won't or can't share. In no way do I say a loaded version would not be useful, in fact I clearly state that having a barebones version allows the shopowner to load up exactly to his/her needs and not to what a developer provides. Can't seem to get through to you that making a loaded version leads to less choice for the shopowner => shopowner want Melons, but loaded give you Lemons, hey, you're stuck with Lemons. BTW how was your experience with Opencart? I guess it was a failure as you're still at this forum and still using osCommerce (15 months later).

Burt stop making it personal. It makes you look bad. My views and opinions are different from yours, and every time you ask for a shop owners opinion, you know what you wil get. this time though i wasnt on my own and other store owners said the same thing. yet you out right dismissed what store owners wanted.

I am developing my new store at the same speed that oscommerce is being developed. very slowly. I have two test stores. One oscommerce and one opencart ( i removed the magneto one) and have yet to make my mind up as to which one will be best to use. When tested side by side on another forum, I was advised to ditch oscommerce as it was dated and poorly coded in favour of opencart. I have yet to decide. The trouble being that I currently have a working store and its hard to let go, and take the plunge and change.

Your personal attitude towards me, and other shop owners may well make my mind up. thanks for the help and the push I was requiring.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

It was actually a question that I would have been keen to hear considering it is 15 months ago that you stated the exact same thing, yet you are still here. We must be doing something right ;)

As it is, I already explained (multiple times) that making a loaded version leads to less choice yet most shopowners (yourself included) fail to see that viewpoint.

Once again, I reiterate; you want Melons, we give a loaded full of Lemons, you're stuck with Lemons. You want that? Anyone want that? What I want to give is a core that has no Melons and no Lemons, then allow the shopowner to choose either or both or Canteloupes if that's what they want. You want loaded, load it up yourself to your exact specs, perfection!

I will see it like this....

When i found my wife.... she had Lemons , however i wanted that she hat Melons.

In the "New World" , she has No Lemons & No Melons , however i can plugin Melons.

@@burt again raising my head above the battlements - and this is not a complaint, just an observation

Absolutely not true. Any developer will continue to work his/her code until the shopkeeper is 100% happy.

I know of two recent changes where the developers did the exciting developer stuff to develop a couple of new modules, namely:

• Recently Viewed Module
  • Modular Checkout Success

However, then they were dropped, leaving quite a bit to be desired in the appearance (alingment etc) of the module, I remember asking how to align certain things and was told to do something with alpha and omega classes - so I had to go for a lay down to stop my head hurting.

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

Recently Viewed Module

Was the module made for you to your exact specifications ?

If not, you got it for nowt, in which case the 2nd part of the post/quote you quoted rings true...ie, it becomes your responsibility to take the given code and play with it until you're happy or if you can't get to a happy place with the code, get someone to do it for you.

Question; is it possible that some shopowners expect more than they should expect (with regards to free code) ? Genuine question, not trying to be facetious or argumentative ... I need to get my head around how non-developers see something that is given to them, but then expect more (than that which is given). Hope the question makes sense.

Modular Checkout Success

Far from dropped, which you will see in the next release of osc...

We will always focus on one core solution that can be extended on through Add-Ons. The basic features included in the core solution should be suitable to start an online store from. It doesn't make sense to offer a "skeleton" version where our users have to bother to install the basic features from Add-On packages, and it doesn't make sense to offer a "fully loaded" version as not everybody needs a "fully loaded" version (whatever that is).

It's a nice idea to provide a Recommended Add-Ons page to the Administration Tool. It's a good idea to allow 1 click installations (and uninstallations) for Add-Ons from the Administration Tool.

This can be done with v2.x where the Add-Ons don't require source code changes. Just during v2.3.3.x it was made possible to add pages to the Administration Tool without needing to edit core source code files (filenames.php and database_tables.php are being ignored). It's amazing how far the v2.x codebase has come along all these years introducing new modular features along the way.

It won't meet everyones needs but I personally stopped trying to do that long ago (after that was achieved in v3.0 ;)).

:heart:, osCommerce

As you say bit by bit

Bit by bit;

Providing, of course, the shop keeper is happy to keep paying :-

And every addon was uploaded by the author at no cost to the end user of it. It is the end users responsibility to make it fit better if it is not perfect.

Yes, yes, is that not what I said in a different manner? - the point I'm trying to make is that the ability to make it better may not be available in the future with plug-ins especially designed by developers

Of course it won't be exactly as the shopowner wants - as it is not built specifically for that shopowner :rolleyes:

And if it's not built for that shopowner, who is it buit for? apart from the developer - ahhhh..... the developer :-

LOL, I like this saying. Seems to me shopowners have forgotten who creates & supports. It aint other shopowners, eh Juls ?

Have shopowners forgotten the creators - really?

I used to see a lot of shopowners supporting on this forum - must admit I haven't been here for a year or so so I can't comment on shopowner support.

osC developers need to listen carefully to what osC storeowners are saying if they want to get osC back on top

My store is currently running Phoenix 1.0.3.0

I'm currently working on 1.0.7.2 and hope to get it live before 1.0.8.0 arrives (maybe 🙄 )

I used to have a list of add-ons here but I've found that with the ones that supporters of Phoenix get any other add-ons are not really neccessary

@@Xpajun

Juls - for an example see the post of Mort-Lemur and mine 2/3 posts prior to yours, where we talking about a "recently viewed" module. Do you think I built that for me (ie, the developer) ?? What really happened was I spent a bit of time putting something together (therefore at a *cost* to me) and made that code available on the forum for any shopowner to use.

Question; is it possible that some shopowners expect more than they should expect (with regards to free code) ? Genuine question, not trying to be facetious or argumentative ... I need to get my head around how non-developers see something that is given to them, but then expect more (than that which is given). Hope the question makes sense.

Gary, I don't expect more than I should expect with free code, but I do want to be able to carry on adapting that code freely (as in free of charge) to suit my store, or in a worse case senario pay someone to do it for me - like when I don't have the time to do it myself

I'm currently working on 1.0.7.2 and hope to get it live before 1.0.8.0 arrives (maybe 🙄 )

I used to have a list of add-ons here but I've found that with the ones that supporters of Phoenix get any other add-ons are not really neccessary

Post #136 is about the best post Ive seen on this thread - thank you Harald :)

adapting that code

Juls - that is precisely what I want also, but in addition, I want the core-code to be more modular (to allow the shopowner who has made custom changes) to be able to update to a newer core in minutes rather than hours!.

Put even more simply; nothing stopping you changing code now, nothing stopping you changing code in the future!

if you download an add-on regardless if that add-on is purchased, is able to plug&play , if is free, if is 100 year old code..... no one care about with what you do with it.

If you tweak that add-on to YOUR needs, that is totally fine.

If you think someone else would be happy with it, commit the changes to the downloads section.Or post your tweaks/edits to the forum.

A skeleton is a good way, i disagree with Harold. But this is my view.

If demand , add some PLUG-INS with the core, but give option to get rid of them as well, with an remove button.

A skeleton is a good way, i disagree with Harold. But this is my view.

Apart from the payment modules, the modules included in the releases can already be considered minimal.

What would you remove from the release to have a skeleton?

@@Mort-lemur

! OFFTOPIC ! I have this Modular Checkout Success installed and did some changes to the code regarding visual appearence.

Maybe i can help you out if you have trouble with it. Just PM me...

....but if i remember well your checkout success page looked flawless. :rolleyes:

Content Modules are being introduced in v2.3.4 for the Login, My Account, and Checkout Success pages :)

Other pages will be modularized depending on the demand in incremental releases.

v2.4 should have all pages modularized.

Apart from the payment modules, the modules included in the releases can already be considered minimal.

What would you remove from the release to have a skeleton?

theoretical everything.

After installing would probably only see "Hello osCommerce" in the front end :)

But to be a bit more informative, lets take product_info.php

contains by default:

-product name.

-product price.

-product description.

-product image(s).

-product quantity.

-product weight.

Current above defaults can be debated ,it is an just example.

Let us call them Core Main Components.

At the moment i am not very creative of what could do with the product name... so i skip that.

But let's go for Core Main Component price.

We provide currency types, we provide tax types.

These are essentials, as they are need.(Core Essentials).

The problem now comes when i want to give & show you (as my client) a different price, i am forced to edit the core.

Take a look at the add-on SPPC (Separated Prices Per Customer) , it will show you how many files need to be edited, it affects almost every file in the core.

A "hook system" WILL prevent that.

And on that used hook it should be possible to hook another hook (what then can be done depend on the add-on writers creativity), and even if not need, on that other hook should also be able to hook on. etc etc etc

Of course i could write a big post of what all can be done when build a core what exactly does that, but i am sure you can fill the rest yourself.

It should be as flexible as a WordPress.

Of course i could write a big post of what all can be done when build a core what exactly does that, but i am sure you can fill the rest yourself.

Please just write half a big post and spend the remaining time on a working example and show us.

You won't see it in v2.3.x but that is what v2.4, v2.5, v2.6, .. is there for.

oh dear some got their knickers in a twist here over the last few days.....too bad I missed the fun ;)

It's really not that complicated, you want melons, add your own melons, you want lemons, add your own lemons, but don't impose them on anyone else becase hey, I personally want apples mixed with strawberries....is that so difficult to understand?!?

You want a developer's help, be prepared to pay, you don't want to pay, do it yourself.....and yippee! this way it's all free!

Yes there is a fully loaded version of osC, but the developer in question isn't prepared to give it out for free which I believe is his right. Again, you want that, you're gonna have to pay.

Finally, you like osC, then stay, you don't like it, just leave. No one's holding you captive.

~ Don't mistake my kindness for weakness ~

@@Biancoblu Just as I start to get to grips with melons and lemons - there you go throwing apples and strawberries into the equation ... This is all getting too fruity.... (w00t)

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

Sorry for disburb you.

Where I cand find a BIG buton in http://www.oscommerce.com/ where I will be able to see a demo version of oscommerce (also the admin section) ?

How many clicks I will be forced to do until I found a online demo? (I need 2 and scroll down the page to find the second link).

How many clicks I need to do until I will happy to found a API about oscommerce. A page, mainly for developers where someone will learn how to code acording the 'standart' osc code? Yes, sure, I can learning bootstrap reading the minified css version, but their docs helm me a lot to start learning... :thumbsup:

How many clicks I need until I found a DECENT addoms section where I can find ratings of users, if the adom work in 2.3.4.5.6, a CLEAR and separate link OUTSIDE the 'comments section' with the forun section and even a rating section?

Where I can find a official explanation about why osc 3 NEVER arrives? Is a bad soft or their code is outdated? What is the percentage of completion of this release? May be 80%-90%? May be I'm a little rude, but why spend time and effors making 2.4 or 2.3.4 instead finish the 3? May be 2.4 will allow the 2.2 or 2.3 addons? NOoooo. So, why?

Where I can find why osc 2.4 never arrives? Why develop 2.4 if the 3 version is the goal? What is the % of completion? 80%-90%? Why stop 2 meters before the 'Finish'?

Where I cand find where is the path that the osc developpers will run? I read that 2.4 will be the end of the 2.x series. It seems that thoday is not 100% right.

I'm sure I'm wrong but I think that there are more shoppers ussing 2.2.x than 2.3. A lot of people whith heavy modifications have the dilema of a long and pain path of updating or stay 'as is'.

Where can find a OFFICIAL pach located in the 2.3.x installation (admin/upgradedb.php) to update the old 2.2 database to 2.3.x? Nobody see that this one of the big chances for shopper to upgrade, the brave that starts upgrading and adding the trilliions of addoms that they need? (the ones that don't know to much about mysql) They are lot of people asking into the forum, others try to help them but again and again people arrives to ask the same question.

Where I cand find a robuts, clear and easy fo find 'Knoledge base' where find the repeating questions about osc? Burt try to clarify it a little in this forum but I don't tihk that is good make threats of XXXXX pages to find the proper reply. I would like to find a wiky section maintained by the official staff where find EXACTLY where update the database, where change the 'Welcome gest...' or repeated questions like that.

PLEASE, nobody must be offended. I'm only a shopper that likes php/mysql. I try to understand the two sides (people that coding in a altruistic maner and people that whanted to run a shop without a lot of headaches).

For the user: No more MS-dos, but ox or ubuntu... :lol:

Archived