• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Testing New PayPal Express Checkout Module

Harald Ponce de Leon

Hi All..

The new PayPal Express Checkout payment module is nearly ready and would like to ask if you could spend a few minutes to test it out at the demo site:

http://demo.oscommerce.com

Please perform an order with addresses inside and outside Florida, USA, and also change the shipping address during the Express Checkout flow.

The new module is configured to use the new In-Context lightbox checkout flow but can break out and revert to the classic checkout flow depending on your browser and PayPal buyer account settings.

As In-Context does not currently work with the Instant Update callback, the Instant Update feature is not enabled at this time.

Line items may or may not be passed to PayPal depending if the line item calculations do not match the order total calculations. If they do not, then only the order total is passed to still allow the customer to make a purchase. Line Items will almost always be sent and will not in rare situations when extra order total modules need to manipulate the order total tax values.

You will also notice that when testing and switching between addresses inside and outside Florida, USA, that when returning back to the store you may be redirected to the checkout confirmation page if the transaction total does not match the order total. This would be due to taxes being added or subtracted depending on the shipping address. Otherwise if the order totals match, the order is processed immediately.

Thanks, and please report back on your findings.

(BTW, the top Express Checkout button should be used on the shopping cart page. The one below it is for PayFlow which will be updated next with the recent updates)

:heart:, osCommerce

Don't have a PayPal Sandbox account? You're more than welcome to test Express Checkout by checking out as a guest.

The new module no longer sends guests a randomly generated password for their newly created account but provides the opportunity to set a password in the My Account page. (The "Change my password" link automatically becomes "Set account password")

If no password is set, the guest cannot log into their account through the store but can still access their account going through the Express Checkout process. (or using Log In with PayPal)

Hello Harald,

I tested by paypal login

in shopping cart,I see 2 button checkout with paypal

else seems work well.

ps : paypal standard (with login paypal on the website) doesn't open the account paypal to process the order. Is it normal or this process is only for paypal express ?

Regards
-----------------------------------------
Loïc

Contact me by skype for business
Contact me @gyakutsuki for an answer on the forum

Hi Loïc..

in shopping cart,I see 2 button checkout with paypal

Yep, I mentioned in the post that the top button is for the global Express Checkout and the bottom one is for the PayFlow Edition. Both modules are installed and enabled for testing purposes, and as both are in sandbox mode you can make sure the correct one is clicked on my hovering the mouse pointer over the button. A popup title should inform you of the module used.

ps : paypal standard (with login paypal on the website) doesn't open the account paypal to process the order. Is it normal or this process is only for paypal express ?

That is normal behaviour - Log In with PayPal seamless checkout only works with Express Checkout. Usually only either Standard or Express Checkout is installed for an online store. As it is the online demonstration, all PayPal modules are enabled for testing :)

Those using IE, try Express Checkout with Chrome or Firefox and the In-Context lightbox checkout flow should work fine. It currently breaks out for IE which PayPal are working on fixing.

Hello there, checking out with PP sandbox, successful for two purchases one in and one out of Florida. I saved the checkout confirmation.php screenshots if you want to see those.

Checking my account, I have the primary address automatically assigned as in San Jose California. During the checkout process I created the Florida account. Both showed up in my account details on the osc test site.

So for now, that's what occurred.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

Hello there, checking out with PP sandbox, successful for two purchases one in and one out of Florida. I saved the checkout confirmation.php screenshots if you want to see those.

Can you confirm that the checkout confirmation page was only presented for the Florida address? The outside address should have processed the order immediately when returning back to the store.

Thanks,

The attached are screenshots of just before confirming the order.

As I recall, the sand box checkout took me back to the shop then for the order confirmation for both transactions, but I can try again and look for something specific you want to know aboiut.

post-231701-0-37173400-1398949252_thumb.png

post-231701-0-02047900-1398949275_thumb.png

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

Unfortunately the In-Context lightbox checkout flow is not ready for the public and had to be removed at the last minute due to concerns over security and phishing. It will be brought back in the future when PayPal have further strengthened the checkout flow.

It was great to be an early adopter of In-Context and I personally look forward to making it available again once it is ready for the public.

As the module now uses the classic checkout flow again, Instant Update works out-of-the-box and can be tested on the online demonstration site.

As I recall, the sand box checkout took me back to the shop then for the order confirmation for both transactions, but I can try again and look for something specific you want to know aboiut.

I just pushed out a fix - you should not ever ever see the checkout confirmation page on the online demonstration site :)

It is rare for the checkout confirmation page to be shown and is only shown when a third-party order total module manipulates the order tax values in some manner.

If that fix is in the demo shop now I'll test it out again.

Made a test purchase with my sandbox acct and using PP Express button, proceeded to the page displayed per attachment.

Then clicking pay now went to the test site checkout_confirmation.php page.

Then confirming order took me to test site checkout_success.php page.

post-231701-0-03336500-1399035090_thumb.png

Once I've selected an item, I click the top Checkout with PayPal button, which takes me off site to the PayPal sandbox domain.

From there my two options are to log in using my sandbox email account or select the "don't have a paypal account" option. I've been signing in and going through the process that way.

I've never signing onto the test site as a user, only gone through the EC process.

I tried entering my sandbox email onto the test site to reset my password, get the reset message is on the way, but there's nothing coming to that live email account.

I just tried ordering as a guest in California, USA and can complete the order without hitting the checkout confirmation page.

The sandbox environment does not send out emails but they can be read logging into https://developer.paypal.com and going to Applications -> Sandbox Accounts -> [sandbox Account] -> Notifications.

The password can also be updated on the Applications -> Sandbox Accounts -> [sandbox Account] -> Profile page.

Here is a site that generates fake/testing credit card numbers:

http://www.getcreditcardnumbers.com

OK, when I saw that Don't Have A PP Account, and clicked it next step wanted CC information and I was at a standstill. But I see the post about getting CC numbers above.

Question, apparently when the customer uses EC, an account is somewhere along the line made in the OSC shop? If I have that correct, if the customer wishes to access his/her OSC account info, what password do they use since the EC password is for PayPal?

The current module emails the customer an automatically generated password. The new module leaves their password empty and the new Content Modules feature of v2.3.4 automatically changes the My Account -> Change Password link to a Set Password link.

The customer cannot log in again through the store if they do not set their password unless they go through EC or through Log In with PayPal.

Thanks for the explanation.

I just accessed my account by signing in with my sandbox acct, then upon seeing the "set password" link , clicked that and set up a shop password. So good to go on that.

I'll run those tests this morning after some coffee

Could you provide a list of steps to reproduce getting the checkout confirmation page? (starting from logging into the store or starting EC as a guest, and logging into EC or proceeding as a guest, ..)

Thanks,

What happens after logging into store:

Select item, click add to cart, arrive at shopping_cart.php

Click top checkout button, arrive at https://www dot sandbox dot paypal dot com/us

Select "Don't Have PayPal account?", get to the page where the test CC info can be entered. Click Pay now

Now at the PayPal page to review the info I entered, click pay now, get PayPal page offering opportunity to sign up for PayPal acct. Click "No Thanks"

Arrive at checkout_success.php

It's possible to control the button label shown in EC to show either "Continue" or "Pay Now".

"Pay Now" is used as the majority of the cases the order will be processed directly skipping the checkout confirmation page. If the order totals do not match (due to a third pary order total module manipulating the tax values, or Instant Update not being used), the checkout confirmation page is shown.

This might confuse the customer due to the "Pay Now" button label in EC, however a notice is added to the top of the confirmation page that order must be confirmed for it to be processed.

This is much better than having the EC button labelled as "Continue" and processing the order directly (illegal in Germany) or showing the checkout confirmation page when it is not necessary.

Thanks for the documentation. I'll be trying this out when released.