• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

freo template for osCommerce version 2.3.3.4

Digibooks

Assume the contribution should read FREE ... but has anyone installed this?

I like the layout but it drops the breadcrumbs at the top of the page which, whilst I don't like, I want to amend in the product info display.

a bit of background: Manufacturers in my site have become Authors and Categories have become Genres.

In the original (v2.3.3.4) site the breadcrumbs would be something like Top >> Catalog >> Thriller >> Author Name.

I have changed the site template so it reads

BOOK NAME

IMAGE DESCRIPTION

What I really want to do is display:

BOOK NAME

by AUTHOR NAME

Genre: GENRE NAME

IMAGE DESCRIPTION

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

I have to ask why you would use a template (free or otherwise) where the stipulation is that you have to have a sitewide backlink on your site back to the template vendor. That is utter folly and will have an impact

When you install a template, free or otherwise, you are expected to get support from the Template vendor.

Well I clearly thought that as it's in the contributions and I'm still relatively new to this OSCommerce stuff that I would get the support of the (free) vendor ... nothing to date!

I have to say that a lot of people who post here tend to get short shrift when they don't understand a particular problem. We are not all PHP programmers and whilst having a basic logical understanding of how code works get stuck behind some very odd things we've never encountered before. All my previous sites were encoded in Perl but I DO like this software. I have had some very good help from contributors and members but sometimes you guys out there who know far more than I do tend to look down at those of us who are still learning.

I, like many of us, just need the occasional helping hand to understand the intricacies of PHP (with the added complication of jquery) and, it has to be said, that often these forums are very unfriendly and try to belittle the newbies.

I think also that if you are going to allow contributions in your addons database that you obviously don't agree with because of these backlinks then maybe you should be removing them from the site or at least warning us of the implications.

Edited by Digibooks

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm well so far, as expected, I have received no reply from the community on this one.

OK so maybe I'm stupid for installing an addon on that is on the OSC addon pages. Watching the video that G Burton so rapidly pushed in my direction I am absolutely none the wiser! He/She can obviously see a flaw with this addon but, typical of the OSC community, nobody actually wants to help anyone - just post derisive comments to those of us who are still learning this (rather crap) system!

I have to say that I have never seen such a mess of a database construction in all my life. 30 years ago I was writing databases in other languages that actually made sense. OSC is beginning to look like a waste of time

What part of "the stipulation is that you have to have a sitewide backlink on your site back to the template vendor" did you not understand after watching the video - I will put it into plain(er) english if you let me know.

With your 30 years experience it would be wonderful for you to help make this "rather crap" system better...

You will get a lot more help in achieving your goal by installing a 2.3.3.4 clean version and asking on the forum or searching for post on how to change specific aspects of your site.

Most users here would have no experience of this template so would not like to comment or give advice on something they know nothing about templates should always be supported by the template vendor no big deal takes me 10 minutes to change a custom design if the customer asks if it is simple no charge if it takes time TIME COSTS MONEY as in most aspects of life.

To get the most out of the forum it is always better to ask specific questions about problems or questions about ways ways to achieve your goal the advice here is free as are the addons so you really should not be complaining so much about something that is given free.

Back to your original question most of osommerce definitions are found in the language files if the product description as it stands is not enough there are several contributions to add extra fields

I remember from the past that many members have successfully used oscommerce to sell books here google is your friend

If you need help to change the product info a small image (mock up) would probably help to understand exactly what you want

Regards

Joli

Edited by joli1811
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

Hi Joli

I have clean install of 2.3.3.4 on a testbed but considering G Burton's post I haven't a clue where to go next!!!

I understand that most people may not have experience of this template BUT if G Burton obviously does because he/she knows about these linkback issues then maybe he/she might consider devolving this information rather than sitting back there as some smug idiot which, I hasten to add, is the norm for most OSC members!!!!

OK I get it ... yes we are all utilising FREE systems because you guys out there are FAR better at this stuff than we are ( for one I wish to utilise a free system because I charge nothing for my downloads!) but, let's be honest, there are a lot of you out there that really think you are the dog's doodahs and actually don't give a s**t about us newcomers to PHP AND OSC!

What part of "the stipulation is that you have to have a sitewide backlink on your site back to the template vendor" did you not understand after watching the video - I will put it into plain(er) english if you let me know.

With your 30 years experience it would be wonderful for you to help make this "rather crap" system better...

OK So tell me where in that video does it tell me Diddly Squat about what I have installed? You have clearly found a problem yet you won't actually tell me what that is. I am NOT a PHP programmer .... I do the best I can with a system that is overly complicated. A database should contain all the fields relevant to a given product so why OSC should split products into 10 separate tables is beyond me.

You guys clearly understand PHP better than I do ..... I could write local systems in other languages incorporating all the necessary fields / attributes in a single table .. so what's the problem?

Hi Alan,

Ok now when you have had your MOMENT :D lets get back to the point I personally prefer "snooty pants" => to dog's doodahs.

Now serious

point one I think is you want to change the layout a bit on product_info.php and possibly product_listing_php to reflect Authors /books etc

by AUTHOR NAME = category

Genre: GENRE NAME = manufacture

This could be as simple as

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/2202

book guy wrote updated to 2.3 below

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8528

More complicated maybe overkill

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8096

But gives a lot more options

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

@@Digibooks - I have no particular knowledge of this template, I am stating that you need to get help from the vendor of the template. If that help is not forthcoming then maybe it's not ideal to use the template...same for an addon or whatever.

What I do know is that being forced to have a sitewide link to an external site that has no relation to your own is hurtful to your seo efforts. That is what I have said in a few posts and that is what it says in the video.

Please refrain from hurling insults, I understand you're frustrated but there's no need to take that frustration out in this manner.

Reading through the install file included with the addon, you will have to do what it says. keep the links at the bottom, and get paid support if you wish to modify the template. Use the website for the poster of the addon and get help there. That is clearly stated.

This forum is for help for those with problems with the software supplied by oscommerce. Asking for specific coding help with a template will take up peoples free time. If you need help, there is a paid for support area, where someone may feel like helping you, but after abusing the software you wish to use, you may not get any.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP