• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

2.2 RC2 to current stable?

KirkVoclain

Here is my situation.....

I had to move my server because of a BUG of some kind that was on the old server...and the only way to FIX THIS problem was to get a whole new server then move over all the data and data bases and such.

With the new server came all new server software. Php, mySQL, and such are now all the latest stable version.

EVERYTHING is up to date and working perfectly except for OSC!

Because I was running v. 2.2 RC2....these updates are causing issues and thus I need to update my OSC.

I would love to do it the best way...I do not have a whole bunch of stuff in my cart....frankly less than 10 items.....

So....I'm reading that doing a clean install is the best? IS THAT correct?

And is there any suggestions on doing that? Do I "DELETE" the old 2.2? Delete the Database? then do the install? Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

MOVING over all my products is not really a problem....the OLD server is still active and accessible for about another month. Thus....I can easily copy and paste over the wording and such....images etc. from the old server as I set up the latest OSC version.

Thank you for your product and any and all support!

Yours,

Kirk

Yes a clean install is best if you have a domain name to work with on the new server just install the latest version 2.3.3.4 of oscommerce in a sub directory and start work, having only a few products it probably is not worth while trying to import the old details into the new database (takes a bit of time) as you would be quicker doing manually but if you have a lot of customers etc.. you maybe should consider an import.

Guess it really depends if you can start work on the new server immediately means you must have another domain name if not you would need to work on the old server installing the new site in a sub directory and working there.

When it is time for the change it is only a question of pointing your domain nameserver to the new host can take 24 hours to propagate

and adjusting your x 2 configure.php and possibly the .htaccess to reflect the new settings

Regards

Joli

PS: you do not need to delete anything until the new is up and running.

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

So long as you install the new (2.3.3.4) osC into its own directory (can be under your existing domain), and let it work with a new database, it will not interfere with your old store (a moot point if the old store is broken). Once you have your new store tuned and tweaked the way you want it, and know how to migrate your data from the old store (rather than re-entering everything, if you want), you shut down the old store, migrate the data one last time, and move the files into their proper place.

Archived