• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Content not changing for info pages

ValBuh

For example, this is the conditions.php. Even though I changed the text information it does not change on the

actual conditions page. I don't know where else to look. Incidentally the Navbar Title and the Heading title don't work either and I have not touched either of those. Why does this page not work. Thanks.

define('NAVBAR_TITLE', 'Conditions of Use');

define('HEADING_TITLE', 'Conditions of Use');

define('TEXT_INFORMATION', 'By using this site, you are agreeing to be bound by our terms and conditions.');

What do you mean by "does not change" or "don't work"? Are you seeing the previous page version (before you edited it)? That would suggest that you're viewing a cached page. Try Ctrl+F5 to force a complete reload of that page, and see if it updates. If it doesn't go into your hosting File Manager and see whether your edited version made it to the server. If not, if the file is read-only, your edits or uploads will silently fail.

If you are seeing the text NAVBAR_TITLE, that means the file defining that macro text is not loading for some reason. Make sure it's not missing, and still contains that entry, and has readable permissions.

No I tried refresh. Nothing happened.

I am trying to add content to info pages, I have file zilla, I found the page and typed my content between the qutes to edit the page and uploaded it again. But when viewed in the browser even after hitting refresh, the content still reads Put your text here or something like that. The content has changed on the page that I uploaded to what I typed in, but it is not updated in the browser..

then I noticed that the NAVBAR Title on the actual page still shows as NAVBAR Title and not the content between

the quotes. I have not altered that part myself at all, that is as the page was installed.

Something is not working as it should. I checked all the other info pages and tried to add content to them. In each one I typed something between the quotes in the hope that one page would work, so I could then use it as a template, but no, each info page does the same thing and on each one NAVBAR title shows as Navbar Title in the NAVBAR on the actual browser page.

Why would content between the quotes not display on the web page even after refreshing, when the content has actually updated on the page itself?

You've checked the files on the server to confirm that they've been updated as you desire? Remember that if the server files are read-only, you won't be able to overwrite them with a file upload or an on-server edit. And of course, you haven't done something silly like upload files to the wrong place? If you use your hosting system's file editor to change a file, does it show up then? If it does, it's very likely that you failed to upload the edited file, or you uploaded it to the wrong place.

If the navbar's title shows up literally as NAVBAR_TITLE, it means that the file defining that constant name is probably missing or is unreadable (wrong permissions). Check for both.

Be careful when "typing something between the quotes" that any ' (single quote/apostrophe) in your text is escaped: \' otherwise, it will cause an error.

But when viewed in the browser even after hitting refresh, the content still reads Put your text here or something like that.

That text is in catalog/includes/languages/english/index.php Is that the file you are editing?

Live shop Phoenix 1.0.8.4 on PHP 7.4 Working my way up the versions.

Yes I am checking the correct file and yes it is updated on the server. I am going to look at the file permissions on the file. I definitely carefully typed only between the quotes. I did not accidentally delete anything. To prove it I tried from my backup file a couple of times with the same result. Although the fact that NAVBAR_TITLE was not displaying correctly before I touched it kind of tells me that I haven't done anything wrong and I need to look elsewhere for the problem, also all four info pages are doing the same thing.

Right looked at the filenames file and all the info pages appear in the list and are defined. The pages themselves are in language English Everythiing is updated on the server. Where else can I look please?

No I tried refresh. Nothing happened.

I am trying to add content to info pages, I have file zilla, I found the page and typed my content between the qutes to edit the page and uploaded it again. But when viewed in the browser even after hitting refresh, the content still reads Put your text here or something like that. The content has changed on the page that I uploaded to what I typed in, but it is not updated in the browser..

then I noticed that the NAVBAR Title on the actual page still shows as NAVBAR Title and not the content between

the quotes. I have not altered that part myself at all, that is as the page was installed.

Something is not working as it should. I checked all the other info pages and tried to add content to them. In each one I typed something between the quotes in the hope that one page would work, so I could then use it as a template, but no, each info page does the same thing and on each one NAVBAR title shows as Navbar Title in the NAVBAR on the actual browser page.

Why would content between the quotes not display on the web page even after refreshing, when the content has actually updated on the page itself?

Tell me what version of oscommerce are you using

What exactly do you mean / are you seeing when you say "Put your text here or something like that"

maybe this is a default text. Please go to visit the admin and change it. ???

I am wondering if you have a page manager installed or if you are using an older version the newer versions have no text in a standard setup

Regards

Joli

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

Right looked at the filenames file and all the info pages appear in the list and are defined. The pages themselves are in language English Everythiing is updated on the server. Where else can I look please?

If you are using an addon, like Information Pages which your statement seems to suggest, then the content is edited in admin, not the language files.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Finally fixed it. Thanks to all who pointed me in the right direction although I am not actually sure why it should work now. I am using the latest version 2,3,3,4. All I did was re-download it into a directory on my hard drive.

Extracted it to a folder there. Went into the appropriate folder where the info pages are located. Found the relevant pages and overwrote them. I.e, Conditions.php, Privacy.php, Shipping.php, Contact Us.php. They are all working perfectly now.

Thanks again.

I'm dealing with a different issue. the pages I have created in Information pages on the admin side are not showing up.

I'm not dealing with any PHP errors currently, I am however getting apache errors...

[Thu Apr 03 14:00:59 2014] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] client denied by server configuration: C:/wamp/www/images/index.php, referer: http://localhost/index.php/products-products-c-2

[Thu Apr 03 14:00:59 2014] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] client denied by server configuration: C:/wamp/www/images/index.php3, referer: http://localhost/index.php/products-products-c-2

[Thu Apr 03 14:00:59 2014] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/wamp/www/images/site/top_nav_sep.png, referer: http://localhost/includes/css/menu.css

Any clue why the pages I'm creating aren't showing up on the webpage, or why I'm getting these errors?

Thank you.

Archived