• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Migrating from LAMP (centOS) to Windows Server AMP.

sunbound2

I've tried searching for this information, but haven't found it. If this has already been done, if someone could provide a link, that would be awesome!

I've been tasked with migrating our current webpage from CentOS to Windows Server. Both are locally hosted in-house. I'm a complete "noob" when it comes to this stuff.

Installed MySQL, Apache, and PHP. I think I have everything configured correctly as far as the AMP goes, but at this rate its going to take forever to go through file by file, hunting for what I need to change in order to get our current established website working correctly. Ideally, I would like OSC to work the same on windows as it does right now on the LAMP.

Has anyone here moved from a Linux to windows stack before with success? What did you have to change and move?

Our current website was contracted and it looks like they have added some modules or extensions in the tools section and I cannot figure out how they had them "installed". (ez-pages for example)

I've heard all the arguments about hosting pages on Linux, and don't wish to re-hash those; we only use windows machines here, and the "powers-that-be" wish it to remain that way.

Thanks guys!

OK, thanks for your reply.

If i needed details, where should I turn? Again, i'm completely new to this, and I'm unclear how Apache, MySQL, PHP, and OScommerce mesh together. I understand, basically, what each one does, but i don't understand how they are intertwined, and where each section is kept in linux.

Thanks for your help.

Of course, in the two (sometimes three) configure.php files, you'll have to update the absolute file paths ("FS" entries) to reflect the Windows flavor of doing things. You shouldn't have to touch the "WS" entries. I'm not sure about cookie settings, etc.That should be "it" for osC itself. Ypu can grep/findstr the files to see if there's anything else specifying the filesystem, but I don't think there is, at least in vanilla osC.

You are going to be maintaining the server itself, rather than hosting with a commercial server? Oh man, you're going to get your clock cleaned by hackers. Do you have any staff there who is expert on running servers, and how to properly secure them and back them up? They would be the ones responsible for properly installing and configuring the server, PHP, MySQL, etc., leaving you to only fiddle with osC. If all that falls to you, you have my condolences. Did your PHBs (Pointy Haired Bosses) realize what they were getting into by insisting on Windows?

We actually always had an old windows based website hosted here before, but on IIS. When we contracted the new website out, we also hosted on our own servers, but they where on Linux. We just want to move the new site back over to windows. We don't have anything hosted outside.

Thanks for your help man.

I have made quite a bit of progress in transferring the site over to a dev server for now. the admin stuff looks pretty much the same, the website looks pretty much the same.

Biggest issue now Is that whenever I click on the products link or any of the categories under it, I get a "webpage not found" error. Admin side, it looks good.

Any ideas?

What link does your browser say it's trying to go to, and is it correct? Did you have Search Engine Friendly URLs before? Remember that the old .htaccess files from an Apache server won't work on any Windows server. I think there's some equivalent function available for Windows servers, but you'll have to rewrite the .htaccess files.

on the development windows server, the browser says for brochures (for example) "http://localhost/brochures-i-66.html?osCsid=ia68k528oist0i4vtcgd690up5. When i click on the link, it gives me a 404 error.

on the live LAMP server it says something a little different; http://www.***.com/brochures-i-66.html (*** being the actual website). On neither server is there a brochures-i-66.html file, but i understand that PHP might be producing it on the fly.

Again, I'm completely new to this, so I'm hoping this is something that is obvious to you guys, but its completely OBLIVIOUS to me, and i'm hoping you can point me to the right direction.

The LAMP server is CentOS, Apache 2.2.15, mysql 5.1.73, PHP 5.3.3/Zend 2.3.0 OScommerce ver 2.3.3(thats what its always been)

The windows machine has changed; I installed WAMPserver 2.2e on the windows machine, because it was the closest to what the LAMP server had on it. That's currently apache 2.2.22, mysql 5.5.24, PHP 5.3.13. Do you think some of my issues could be due to version differences?

I also noticed that my EZ pages is back, the pages i'm having difficulty with (the 404 errors) i cannot edit them in EZ pages... it says "this page cannot be displayed. I'm assuming these two issues are related, but i don't know where to start looking to fix this issue.

Thanks for your help so far. it feels like im going around in circles.

A URI like /brochures-i-66.html?osCsid=... is a sure sign that your old site is using SEO. It is using code in the /.htaccess file to convert this to a dynamic URI using XXXX.php?var=value. Your Windows server can NOT use the current .htaccess, at least not without installing some sort of plug-in. I'm not familiar with how it's done in Windows, so someone else will have to help you here. I'm assuming that it's not as simple as throwing a switch "use SEO" to the "off" position, although if you're lucky, it might be. Assuming you want to keep your SEO formatted URIs, you will have to do whatever it takes in Windows to translate this.

Thanks man! that gave me a direction to look a little further. I do see a switch for SEO URL's in the OSC admin page to turn them on and off... and it is currently set to on... but ill start looking there.

Thanks again man!

I played with the SEO URL setting... turning it off allowed me to see the pages that wouldn't come up. I'm currently looking at SEO mods to fill that space. Unfortunately, EZ pages is still busted though. Any ideas on what might be causing that?

You've been really helpful so far... too bad you aren't local, id buy you a beer after all this.

Good to hear you're making progress. Unfortunately I have no experience with EZ pages, although it's plausible that their SEO names don't match up with their real file names (rewrite by .htaccess).

For some reason, i thought EZ pages was a native tool in this distribution, I see thats not the case now. . I'm not sure how the original webpage designers integrated it into the admin page.

I'll have to look for another info page manager.

I'm curently still working on this migration project.

1) I was having issues with the RFQ2 module loading and that was ironed out...

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/396504-issues-installing-rfq2/

The other issues im currently trying to tackle are

2) SEO URLs. Previously i was using "Ultimate SEO URLs" from Chemo, but i found out that wasnt compatable with windows, so i installed "Ultimate SEO URL's 5 pro" because thats supposed to be compatable. Its not working correctly, and I've currently posted errors and questions on the support page...

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/336702-ultimate-seo-urls-5-by-fwr-media/page__st__4000#entry1694873

post #4020 and #4021

3) Captcha isnt working... shows up as a black box in IE.

I'll be updating my posts as i go, just in case this can help someone else if they are trying to migrate this way.

Any help anyone with experience can provide is greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I just thought I would update this considering i have made some progress during the migration.

Apparently one of the biggest things I missed was the fact that some of the code was written in perl. I stopped using WAMP, and started using XAMPP, and that made a world of difference. :D

Nope.

But to be clear, I'm not completely certain what perl or python code "looks" like. When i went through the list of mods that where installed on the LAMP server, I saw mod_perl and another mod that had to do with python... what that one was, I don't remember; and i neglected to write it down.

Once I moved to Xamp (because it was easier than trying to figure out how to get perl working in WAMPserver more things where working.

Using Perl and/or Python based pages is optional for web applications. I don't think osC uses either, but it's possible that some add-on or utility package might. Don't worry about Perl and Python, unless you have to support other applications that use them.

That's just it... I'm migrating everything over, and we had no clue what they did to build this page. The only indication I had that I needed perl and python was because mod_perl and mod_wsgi was installed on the original LAMP server. I'm thinking that's why I was having some of the problems I was having. Once I dropped my webpage files into XAMPP (from WAMP), some of my issues went away. Now i just have to figure out how to get WSGI installed properly, and I'm hoping some more issues go away.

I DID try ampps, but i was having less luck with that. If i was building from scratch, that might have been a good option, but i'm kind of reverse engineering things here, without really having a firm grasp of what I'm looking at.

Unfortunately, not everything is working, but that was kind of expected. I'm just happy that i'm making progress at this point.

Again, thanks for all your help.

Those two are often installed by default (the second "P" in *AMPP stands for Perl). If you don't think you have anything using Perl or Python, don't worry about installing those languages. If something you use breaks because something was missing, you know you need to go ahead and install them.

Ok, so here im sitting so far...

I have everything setup on XAMPP + python installed with mod_WSGI. Some things are still/or broken again and cant figure them out.

1) Captcha is broke again. I"m going to re-trace my steps and see what went wrong there.

2) some links are getting a 404 error, with and without SEO URL pro enabled and disabled, so I dont think its an SEU URL issue.

PHP errors im getting

First, the times in my PHP error log are jumping back and fourth. the time stamps are like this a lot.

[14-Apr-2014 16:37:49]

[14-Apr-2014 10:24:11]

[14-Apr-2014 17:51:56]

I'm guessing that has to do with the PHP.ini file, but i don't see anything configured incorrectly there.

CAPTCHA: does it use the GD image processing library? Make sure you have the right version installed.

PHP error log times: can you correlate them to, say, correct local time and GMT/UTC? That might give a clue as to their origin and incorrect settings.

I've re-traced my steps, and my captcha is still busted. Same symptoms as before.

Ive copied the whole catalog directory after i got it to work last time, changed the directories in the config files to reflect whats been changed, and it still doesn't work. GD is enabled, but I'm not sure how to tell what version is required for this to work.

As for the wonky times in the error log, they are not doing that anymore... I think the timestamp is UTC... every-time i change that to my local-time, my logs stop working, so i just leave it be.

Archived