• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Downloads question!

Hello everyone!

I sell digital goods and have had problem with people paying less then they should and still being able to download the file.

My question is if there is a way to make OSC not allow download if the paid amount is less then the actual price listed?

Could you explain this in a little more detail? I'm working on a site thet sells downloads and I've never heard of this problem. You also might want to talk to Linda McGrath a.k.a Ajeh. She's the resident expert on downloads.

Hi Gregg,

Here is a scenario...

Lets say you are using paypal for payment (which is what I use).

You add a product to your cart go through the checkout process then when you get to the paypal page, in the URL, you change the amount to be paid to $1.00. Paypal will process the payment for $1.00 and send you back to the return url where you can freely download the software you "underpaid" for.

That can be also done with 2checkout by tweaking the form. :(

The program I use now does that, it checks the price against the actual amount paid and flags the order if it was underpaid.

I'm sure there is a way to do this in osc but I just don't have the knowledge to do it.

If using the MS1 or any snapshot that utilizes the orders_status in the Payment modules ... get the Downloads Controller v5.3

This is written to specifically handle the various payment methods and the orders_status used controls whether or not downloads are immediately available or have to have Admin intervention ie. Change of orders_status to >= 2

It also has an Update orders_status which resets the maximum downloads and days from the Admin so you don't have to fuss with the MySQL table to fix that.

Ajeh: I'm trying to set up the same kind of shop (downloads only) and have installed the Easy Update and Attributes Sorter mods (both the latest versions).

I still have the issue that adding a new list of products is a pain though, since I have to:

1) Import products (Easy Import)

2) Set up attributes for each individual product, since the download file is different for each

Is anyone working on a way of bulk importing digital/downloadable products so that they work immediately (i.e. you don't have to mess around adding attributes by hand)?

:(

Apples...why did they have to be apples?

above

P.S. I have no problem working together to create such a contribution - I just see no point in duplicating what may have already been done! 8)

P.P.S. Why is there no "edit post" option?! :evil:

Apples...why did they have to be apples?

Hi Linda,

Thank you for replying :D

I will install the contrib!

One question, can I set it so if the item is undepaid the immidiate dowload is flagged?

Thanks for your help!

Hi Linda,

Thank you for replying  :D  

I will install the contrib!

One question, can I set it so if the item is undepaid the immidiate dowload is flagged?

Thanks for your help!

Say that again in english? I am tad slow at times ... :wink:

Here is a scenario...  

Lets say you are using paypal for payment (which is what I use).  

You add a product to your cart that costs $100.00, go through the checkout process then when you get to the paypal page, in the URL, you change the amount to be paid to $1.00. Paypal will process the payment for $1.00 and send you back to the return url where you can freely download the software you "underpaid" for.

Hi Linda,

Can the above be prevented using the Download Controler? ;)

I am afraid it doesn't know when someone cheats.

It only looks for the order being completed and the orders_status you defined for that payment module.

If you find they cheat you too often on the PayPal, you could set it to not be an auto download after the order is complete.

I have not looked at the add-ons for PayPal to see if they do anything to handle this issue.

You might check the threads on them and ask the nice fellow from PayPal, whose name escapes me at the moment, if he has any advice on this.

Hi Linda,

I think his name is Pablo!

He said there might be something like that coming out but doesn't know when.

Another thing is, the cheating can be done with 2checkout too :cry:

Those are the only ones I have used so I can't say for anything else!

These gateways need to send back silly things like:

I got this much money from 'em ...

And go to the right URL after completion.

Or at least a code of some sort to say the amount stated was not the amount applied.

But then ... that's just how I think things should be done ... 8)

So what you are saying is that the gateways don't reply with the amount the customer paid like paypal does?

Well, I guess I'll just have to pray I get a lot more honest customers then cheating ones :crazy:

Thanks for your help Linda ;)

I really cannot say on all of them.

My code is just looking at the fact the order was created. It does not care what created that order.

I have not broken down the payment gateways to know if they are verifying the amount or not.

Perhaps someone more into the payment modules can answer this one better.