burt

Responsive osCommerce - Bootstrap

@@PiLLaO

What are you trying to achieve?

I thought osC has already a Free Shipping Over $XX function.

Yes, the problem is with osc free shipping over (include in osc BS), that is on order totals modules.

If you select a shipping method and go back click again in checkout, the order total change to "order total + shipping cost" and the price of ship changes.

Sorry if I can't explain correctly

Regarding equal height: Maybe I'm a little bit naive, but shouldn't have the space for images and products names have some predefined heights? You might have pictures of different height an also long product names which need a second line, well I couldn't help myself without doing the ultimate evil - changing core files - ad wrapped around a css class for  both of them.

I wanted for grid view: Equal height space for images, orientated to the bottom in that space,

Just a random thought on this... back in ye olden times, before CSS usage was widespread, people used tables to lay out their pages. Now, I'm not arguing that we should return to the days of table hell, with tables within tables within tables -- CSS is much better for layout purposes. However, tables are a legitimate way to lay out data in a grid, and cells in a row are automatically equal height. The downside is that I don't know how to change the number of cells in a row when the display width changes, so responsive design is difficult, if not impossible, with a table. Something would have to be done in Javascript to restructure the table, based on display width. Has anyone seen such a thing? I suppose you could send several different tables to the browser, and have one selected based on display width, but that seems rather inefficient. With adaptive design, that's easy (to generate a different table on the server, in the first place).

@@MrPhil I think it's much better to hand it all off to a framework and live with whatever limitations it has.

Now if you're looking for input to a framework you're writing and giving out for free...

:D

For a new install or if your store isn't mobile-friendly, get the community-supported responsive osCommerce (Phoenix).

here: on the official osc download page

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

Regarding equal height: Maybe I'm a little bit naive, but shouldn't have the space for images and products names have some predefined heights? You might have pictures of different height an also long product names which need a second line, well I couldn't help myself without doing the ultimate evil - changing core files - ad wrapped around a css class for  both of them.

I wanted for grid view: Equal height space for images, orientated to the bottom in that space, and centred within product holder.

Equal height for product names and centred along with the images..

For the images in product_listing.php wrapped them in:

<div class="center-block">

for which I ended up in my user.css with:

.grid-group-item .center-block {
  display: flex;
  height:310px;
  justify-content: center;
  align-items:flex-end;

}

where height could be some value maybe  defined per configuration of  SMALL_IMAGE_HEIGHT?

For the products name I added a class to h2 there like:

<h2 class="mumpel group inner list-group-item-heading">

which refers in my user.css to:

.grid-group-item .mumpel  {text-align:center;
display:block;height:45px;
}

Well it works at least with edge chrome and FF, I have no apples lying around here. But i confess I don't even know if I'm within the concept of responsive with that, so please kindly forgive me if that was worthless reading.

Best regards

Christoph

@@beerbee I'm sorry I missed your post at the time... was busy battling with safari!

There's nothing responsively wrong with your approach - and I understand why you'd want to do it as the core solution makes the boxes fit into equal height rows but it doesn't make the actual box-shaped outlines the same height as each other.

I think, perhaps, that you could have avoided the cardinal sin and not made any changes to the core code, though.

You can assign height to an anchor tag if you change its display so it's not inline, so you could probably write your center-block rule for the first anchor tag in an equal height class, something like

.equal-height > a:first-child {...}

Incidentally, I think your version only works on grid pages with grid/list choice enabled.

I don't think your second rule needs the extra class, you could select using a combination of the existing classes and the tag.

Overall, though, it's a good approach for your own store where you know the heights of the images and the font size.

Edited by BrockleyJohn

For a new install or if your store isn't mobile-friendly, get the community-supported responsive osCommerce (Phoenix).

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

Please see http://forums.oscommerce.com/topic/408314-equal-height-possible-new-approach/?p=1755668

This is a signature that appears on all my posts.  
IF YOU MAKE A POST REQUESTING HELP...please state the exact version
of osCommerce that you are using. THANKS

Get the latest Responsive osCommerce CE (community edition) here

I think it's much better to hand it all off to a framework and live with whatever limitations it has.

Yes and no. There are advantages to using a common framework, but having to put up with severe limitations is not an advantage. I only mentioned tables because some people seem to think it a mortal sin to use <table> for any purpose, including display of tabular data! Tables are bad for doing general layout, but still excellent for display of information that naturally falls into a grid. The only downside is that (currently) there does not seem to be an easy way to adjust the number of columns per row on the fly, for responsive layout. If improvements to Bootstrap/Flex/whatever library can either do that, or set up an equal-height row without adding layers and layers of cruft (divs within divs within divs...), that would be a winner.

Does CSS already support something like

<div style="height: max-child-height;">

? I've seen lots of discussions about making a parent the height of its children, but they always seem to come with plenty of caveats and restrictions and warnings. Is it simple to do, yet?

Now if you're looking for input to a framework you're writing and giving out for free...

By strange coincidence, input and participants welcome... http://www.catskilltech.com/forum/practical-computing/building-an-application-framework/

@@burt

If you refer to:

The Responsice images code does not need (and in fact, should not have) dimensions...

Images are fit 100% wide into their "space"...

I had already seen it but it raises some questions

So this would make addons like KissIT Image Thumbnailer BS obsolete for product listings?  What about bandwidth? Most of my images are 900xsomething.. And do you mean if they'd be small, that they should scale above their original size to fill 100%?

I did this because when viewing in grid mode to me it is like reading, which means having an orientation to the bottom line and buttons and text on the same height is much more appealing to my eye, I'd be happy to read of any other solution which could achieve this without fixed dimensions.

Best regards

Christoph

@@burt

hey G

I was looking through some files in Edge and realized that there is still the new_products.php file inside the modules folder. (catalog/includes/modules/new_products.php)

Isn't that obsolete? Now with the index and index_nested modules.

Isn't that obsolete?

Seems to be obsolete.

Question ... I've done many modifications to the oscommerce 2.3.4 that I have installed and I want to convert it to responsive, is there a guide to do it? Or do I have to install the responsive and then apply all the changes that I have done?

Thanks

Question ... I've done many modifications to the oscommerce 2.3.4 that I have installed and I want to convert it to responsive, is there a guide to do it? Or do I have to install the responsive and then apply all the changes that I have done?

Thanks

You may very well find that some modifications you had to do to your 2.3.4...are already built into the Responsive.

Best advice:  install on a test site/server an out of the box Responsive and have a play with it.

I am pleased to report that Edge is as of this moment...php7 ready.

A big thank you to @@BrockleyJohn for the hard work he has done on that part of the project.

A big thank you also to those who took the time out to have a play with the php7 changes, make feedback and so on.

A big thank you to @@BrockleyJohn for the hard work he has done on that part of the project.

A big thank you also to those who took the time out to have a play with the php7 changes, make feedback and so on.

NIce....Gary does this mean that EDGE will become a general release candidate now with future development continuing in a new version?

Dan

NIce....Gary does this mean that EDGE will become a general release candidate now with future development continuing in a new version?

Dan

Are you suggesting now's the time to pull off a 2.3.4BS Platinum release? Hmmm...

Updated my test site and switched the server to use php7 - everything runs smoothly without a hiccup.  Thanks to all who put so much time and effort on this!!

That is awesome  :lol:  :thumbsup:  (w00t)

Does that mean it also runs on earlier versions of PHP as well or just 7 and up.. (please excuse my ignorance)

Thanks for all the work

Doug

Are you suggesting now's the time to pull off a 2.3.4BS Platinum release? Hmmm...

Naming releases is a bit a mystery to me but I think it would be helpful.  As someone has mentioned on here, it is hard to develop anything for a moving target so I'm thinking it would be helpful to drop a target every now and again.  I seem to remember Gary saying something like that was in the plan as well.

Dan

Edited by Dan Cole

@@douglaswalker Edge should now work on any PHP version from 5.4 onwards.  

As the php people bring out newer versions, things might break.

@@Moxamint thank you for feedback

@@Dan Cole I have one more thing I would like to do with Edge and then that will be the end of the road.

@@burt

I have one more thing I would like to do with Edge and then that will be the end of the road.

Can you give us a hint? :P

Get the latest Responsive osCommerce CE (community edition) here .

It will be something from the never ending to do list.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

It's very easy to over complicate what are simple things in life

It will be something from the never ending to do list.

All gone.  Chucked the list in the bin.

You may very well find that some modifications you had to do to your 2.3.4...are already built into the Responsive.

Best advice:  install on a test site/server an out of the box Responsive and have a play with it.

Thanks for the answer, I installed it. Very good work on it!!!

Altho I have to make some of the features that I created before like "Checkout without registering", I wonder if I should create it like a Content Module so it can be installed like an addon.

Altho I have to make some of the features that I created before like "Checkout without registering", I wonder if I should create it like a Content Module so it can be installed like an addon.

That is the best approach....if the core changes you won't need to redo it again...at worst, you should be able to just install the content module again.  You'll also be able to contribute your work to the community if you wish.

Dan