• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Responsive osCommerce - Bootstrap

The label acts as a button anyway so it seems as though it's purely cosmetic?

@@burt

Just tested on Windows Phone and the reduced gender labels M and F are not sensitive, only the radio.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The change to the inputs (tel, email etc) adds a load of good useability so that will be next on the to-do list, thanks @@raiwa. I also like the stacking of labels and inputs, but that's cosmetic so the shopowner can do that on a per site basis.

Payment page is updated - I backported the table from 2.4.

The change to the inputs (tel, email etc) adds a load of good useability so that will be next on the to-do list, thanks @@raiwa. I also like the stacking of labels and inputs, but that's cosmetic so the shopowner can do that on a per site basis.

Payment page is updated - I backported the table from 2.4.

sure that doesnt need fix:

@@raiwa this will be left upto the shopowner. Code has already been given and if the shopowner wants something else, he can do whatever he likes. It is now time to drop this, thanks. Bearing in mind that the forms will soon be templatable (like the module boxes)..

sure that doesnt need fix:

@@raiwa

The example change given here http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/396152-bootstrap-3-in-2334-responsive-from-the-get-go/page-66#entry1711400 fixes the issue shown in your thumbnail images.

This is what we had to test. Labels are hidden in mobile view. (see image below)

@@burt

Sorry to harp on this, but is that example that you gave to test, what you plan to add to the master? Wasn't sure, since there was no mention.

The only thing I found when testing this change is (before and after), I needed to wrap a label tag around the "required input asterix" for gender to get it to line up with the radio buttons.

Also, will this eventually be used for the required input fields?

<span class="glyphicon glyphicon-asterisk form-control-feedback inputRequirement"></span>

cheers :santa:

post-290729-0-74330500-1419306428_thumb.jpg

My Add-ons
Advanced Cache Control Tool for osCommerce 2.3.x (non-bootstrap) Download Support
Ajax Product Listing for osC 2.3.4 (bootstrap) Download Support
Category New Products Carousel for osC 2.3.4 (bootstrap) Download Support
Category Popular Products Carousel for osC 2.3.4 (bootstrap) Download Support
Customer Testimonials for osCommerce 2.3.4 (bootstrap and non-bootstrap) Download Support
Front Page New Products Carousel for osC 2.3.4 (bootstrap) Download Support

Index Nested - Product Listing for osC 2.3.4 (bootstrapDownload Support
Match Categories in Search Results for osCommerce versions 2.3.x (non-bootstrap) Download Support
Modular Category Page for osC 2.3.4 (bootstrap)
Download Support

NEW Australia Post Shipping Modules for osCommerce 2.3.x (non-bootstrap) Download Support
NEW Equal Height Module for osC 2.3.4 (bootstrapDownload Support
Products Low Stock Report for osC 2.3.x (bootstrap and non-bootstrap) Download Support
Twitter Typeahead Autocomplete Search for osCommerce 2.3.4 (bootstrap and non-bootstrap)
Download Support

Upcoming Products Modules for osC 2.3.4 (bootstrap) Download Support

Assisted Add-ons
Scroll Boxes for osCommerce 2.3.x (bootstrap and non-bootstrap) Download Support

Bootstrap Add-ons created by other members
osCommerce Bootstrap Addons and Code

Buttons on GitHub.

Error in password_forgotten.php, line 98: class+"

<div class="buttonSet row"> 
   <div class+"col-xs-6"><?php echo tep_draw_button(IMAGE_BUTTON_BACK, 'glyphicon glyphicon-chevron-left', tep_href_link(FILENAME_LOGIN, '', 'SSL')); ?></div> 
   <div class="col-xs-6 text-right"><?php echo tep_draw_button(IMAGE_BUTTON_CONTINUE, 'glyphicon glyphicon-chevron-right', null, 'primary', null, 'btn-success'); ?></div>

cheers

My Add-ons
Advanced Cache Control Tool for osCommerce 2.3.x (non-bootstrap) Download Support
Customer Testimonials for osCommerce 2.3.4 (bootstrap and non-bootstrap) Download Support

Match Categories in Search Results for osCommerce versions 2.3.x (non-bootstrap) Download Support
Download Support

NEW Australia Post Shipping Modules for osCommerce 2.3.x (non-bootstrap) Download Support
Products Low Stock Report for osC 2.3.x (bootstrap and non-bootstrap) Download Support
Twitter Typeahead Autocomplete Search for osCommerce 2.3.4 (bootstrap and non-bootstrap)
Download Support

Assisted Add-ons
Scroll Boxes for osCommerce 2.3.x (bootstrap and non-bootstrap) Download Support

The example change given here http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/396152-bootstrap-3-in-2334-responsive-from-the-get-go/page-66#entry1711400 fixes the issue shown in your thumbnail images.

@@auzStar, I know this, it is based on my suggestion:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/396152-bootstrap-3-in-2334-responsive-from-the-get-go/?p=1710969

Although burts coding is of course more lightweight (I'm a bootstrap newbee).

The only question here was if to include the change to the core - master files.

Please @@burt, I do not pretend to be annoying, I try to contribute.

An intent to another point of view:

- open the create_account page

- relax

- lean back

- take a deep breath

- try to look on the screen with the eyes of a first time visitor

- ask yourself: why is all the text repeated twice?

In other words: do we need to use placeholders showing the same text like the labels?

Do we use them just like a new available toy, without necessity?

Merry christmas

@@auzStar, I know this, it is based on my suggestion:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/396152-bootstrap-3-in-2334-responsive-from-the-get-go/?p=1710969

Although burts coding is of course more lightweight (I'm a bootstrap newbee).

The only question here was if to include the change to the core - master files.

Hi @@raiwa,

Yes I'm not 100% sure if it is to be included either now. I think the fact the burt wanted it tested suggested his lightweight version was going to be included, ie to do list.

I think things started to get a little complicated when someone suggested it was not good to have the labels and placeholders disappear, so there were attempts to come up with a viable solution, ie help text etc. I'm just starting to get the hang of things also with bootstrap and needing to keep things simple. Thing is, you could find so many improvements/enhancements, if you were going to do them all you'd never finish.

I think we all need to chill. It's xmas.

cheers

My Add-ons

Download Support

Download Support

Assisted Add-ons

Buttons on GitHub.

Error in password_forgotten.php, line 98: class+"

<div class="buttonSet row"> 
   <div class+"col-xs-6"><?php echo tep_draw_button(IMAGE_BUTTON_BACK, 'glyphicon glyphicon-chevron-left', tep_href_link(FILENAME_LOGIN, '', 'SSL')); ?></div> 
   <div class="col-xs-6 text-right"><?php echo tep_draw_button(IMAGE_BUTTON_CONTINUE, 'glyphicon glyphicon-chevron-right', null, 'primary', null, 'btn-success'); ?></div>
cheers

:thumbsup: thanks

@@raiwa

placeholders are not labels and should not be used as such
labels are not placeholders and should not be used as such

if we take label away how does the shopowner now know that they can in fact have it
if we take placeholder away how does the shopowner now know that they can in fact have it

1. labels are staying as they are
2. placeholders are staying as they are
3. shopowners can decide if they want 1 or 2 or none
4. shopowners can decide the text they require in 1 or 2 or none
5. in the future forms and all their elements will be templatable

Code has already been given in the thread by me, where I asked people to test it. Zero response.

And by whitehat as well.

Conclusion:
No code is changing to deal with the perceived 'problem' of labels and placeholders

@@burt

:unsure: I tested. I know a little delayed with the response, but with all that toing and froing on placeholders etc I was waiting on an outcome before commenting (post #1330 above).

(I wonder why no-one is responding to your requests?)

This all started because someone complained about the placeholders disappearing on mobile when you type and disaster! disaster! if you leave what your typing part way through and go back and forget what you've typed. 

I think we should still go with it as the results in my attached image show, otherwise the label and input fields squash together on mobile as @@raiwa showed.

cheers

My Add-ons

Download Support

Download Support

Assisted Add-ons

Most forum members are apathetic until they need help with something that directly affects them.

It's the way it is ; no time for anyone else except themselves.

Could be that people are just taking care family stuff? Few days before Christmas it is normal that people start to spend more time with family or go travel somewhere or do other things that they usually can't/don't do. But this is just a guess of course.

You are right @@Tsimi. Good reason. I know exactly what you mean. Pressure in on for everyone this time of year.  :thumbsup:

have a great xmas

cheers :santa:

My Add-ons

Download Support

Download Support

Assisted Add-ons

imho, store owners first of all are busy at their store this time of year, and if they have little time, whatever you guys discussed is lost in the thread - i personally are unable to understand right now what this is exactly about, and have no time available - right now / this week - to figure it out to give any valuable input

Happy holidays !

. :santa: :christmas_tree:

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

I'll adjust my expectations and be happy when feedback is given rather than be disappointed when it is not  >_<

Next question, it's been brought to my attention that we have 1 place in which a change to core code has to happen;

https://github.com/gburton/osCommerce-234-bootstrap/blob/master/includes/template_top.php#L53

Here is where the designer/developer can set the container (fluid or not).  This needs to be changed to allow the designer/dev to set container or container-fluid, without touching core code, anyone got any ideas?

I'm no developer but how a variable that is set in the store configuration area in the admin section?  Maybe a place for bootstrap/template settings that could be added to as required.  That's probably not a very eloquent solution but it would at least allow you to leave the core alone. 

Dan

I'm no developer but how a variable that is set in the store configuration area in the admin section?  Maybe a place for bootstrap/template settings that could be added to as required.  That's probably not a very eloquent solution but it would at least allow you to leave the core alone. 

Dan

Thats an idea.  I hadn't thought of storing in the DB.  I was mulling over creating a header_tag module, or storing in the language file.

DB would definitely be easiest, thanks Dan.

If anyone has any objection to the above, nows the time.

What Dan proposes sounds good. Some Setting in the Configuration -> My Store area or Configuration -> Bootstrap Settings where the shop owner can setup if he would like to have a full width shop or not. 

If anyone wants to test;

https://github.com/gburton/osCommerce-234-bootstrap/commit/40fe1c4851606107f710a9030030038f89a9d8e0

This is very basic and the new options once installed can be found in admin at configuration > bootstrap setup

1/ allows shopowner to decide between "container" or "container-fluid" ( see http://getbootstrap.com/css/#overview-container )

2/ allows shopowner to no longer have to manually change /includes/classes/osc_template.php when wanting to set a different column width

Feedback is welcome, note that this is in my FilthyHobbitsesBootstrap Branch, and is not committed to Master (yet), in case you want to pull it @ github

Dan

+1

Malcolm

• burt locked this topic
  • burt unlocked and locked this topic

Archived