osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Responsive osCommerce - Bootstrap

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@burt,

What's the status of this project? Will you continue with it or will it just became 2.3.6 and finish your community version effort?

I'f love to see the admin side integrated with bootstrap like 2.4 is.

Any particular reason for this css:

@media only screen and (max-width: 768px)
custom.min.css:6
.row.list-group {
    -webkit-flex-direction: column;
    flex-direction: column;
}

which results in this on portrait iPad?

Just checking before I remove it on my installation :-)

ipad_css.PNG

osCommerce user since 2003! :thumbsup:

@frankl that code has to do with the new approach to the perceived equal height problem.  I hated the .js approach to it, so changed it to a .css solution.  See 

The particular piece of code you posted appears to be code I added to force the layout into one column in small devices.  Instead of fully removing, try change 768 to a lower number (ie works on mobile phone, but won't work on portrait ipad)...

Report back if you can ?

@burt

Replacing it with

@media only screen and (min-width: 320px) and (max-width: 479px) { .row.list-group{-webkit-flex-direction:column;flex-direction:column;}}

fixes iPad portrait, but iPhone 6 landscape looks a little different. I'm not concerned, I wouldn't think many people would browse websites in landscape mode on their smart phones :)

ipadportrait.PNG

6slandscape.PNG

@frankl

Hi Frank,

What software are those screenshots from (to test a site in different type of mobile browsers)? I use Opera Mobile Emulator, but the mobile versions available for testing are outdated. Thanks.

osCommerce: made for programmers, ...because store owners do not want to be programmers.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&geo=US&q=oscommerce

@frankl

that's just the Chrome browser, right? I use their development tools console, but I've never seen a place to test for different mobile devices.

osCommerce: made for programmers, ...because store owners do not want to be programmers.

@frankl see https://github.com/gburton/Responsive-osCommerce/pull/538

If I remember right there were some quite big differences between actual device behaviour and what the emulations show. Of course it's a moving feast anyway and you pretty much have to decide where to draw the line.

Maybe you need an equal widths module for the iphone!

Contact me for work on updating existing stores - whether to Phoenix or the new osC when it's released.

Looking for a payment or shipping module? Maybe I've already done it.

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

@BrockleyJohn

I know emulators aren't quite "real", so my workflow is to do all the dev using emulators and then for final tweaks check on the actual devices themselves. The emulators come quite close but you need the real device with the actual browser and OS to do a final check. Even the responsive design mode on Safari doesn't always match up to what you get on various iPads and iPhones.

• 2 weeks later...

is there a simple way to nest a module inside another?

I installed the Horizontal Categories Menu and want to use the header buttons module inside of it, but nothing seems to work. I tried including the template, and then added the code inside that menu module template, but this is just kicking back errors.

Ok, so I solved the issue of placing the header buttons module in the Horizontal Categories Menu module (for tablet screen size) ..by setting the sort-order higher for the header buttons module and then setting its margin-bottom to -34px (height of the button group) and bottom to -10px. See attached screenshot.

I did not nest the modules, but just applied a CSS fix. However, I’d still like to hear from one of the experts, if there is a simple way to nest a module inside another?  

My new challenge is with including some of the sub-modules from the navigation bar in the Horizontal Categories Menu module as part of the menu.

header-menu-screenshot.png

I am no expert but I think it depends on the module contents some might work together others might not.
I personally think your css fix is good and should cause no problems. As long it looks and works as you like keep it as is now with the css fix. Just make sure you cover all viewports XS, SM and so on...

Hi, This is a slight divergence to the “Emails in 2.4” question raised by  @frankl - 
I am currently trying to make changes to 2.3.4bs without tampering with core code - using jQuery (until pages are fully modularised) in new footer content scripts it is possible to make significant changes to page content/layout (is this OK or unwise?). Is it also possible using a header_tag script to add code that would otherwise be in application_top (is there a better way?).

However, I have not yet found a suitable way to externally change functions. I would like to make minor changes to tep_href_link, tep_address_format, and tep_mail without meddling with core. Apparently there is no PHP facility to delete/replace (system/user) functions.

Is there a suitable solution?

58 minutes ago, trier said:
Hi, This is a slight divergence to the “Emails in 2.4” question raised by  @frankl - 
I am currently trying to make changes to 2.3.4bs without tampering with core code - using jQuery (until pages are fully modularised) in new footer content scripts it is possible to make significant changes to page content/layout (is this OK or unwise?). Is it also possible using a header_tag script to add code that would otherwise be in application_top (is there a better way?).

However, I have not yet found a suitable way to externally change functions. I would like to make minor changes to tep_href_link, tep_address_format, and tep_mail without meddling with core. Apparently there is no PHP facility to delete/replace (system/user) functions.

Is there a suitable solution?

Avoid changing core code when there's a sensible alternative, but if the most straightforward way of doing something is to change the core, do it that way and make sure you keep track of what you have done.

It's only really going to matter in the future if and when you're working on a live shop that can be updated automatically. Then core updates will be dangerous. For now, they're not a sin if they're the best way of doing it. In my view it's more important for addon developers than for capable people working on their own store not to change core code.

Contact me for work on updating existing stores - whether to Phoenix or the new osC when it's released.

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

Afterthought: when changing content using jquery you need to bear in mind that it might affect how it's analysed by search engines. I'm guessing you're just moving stuff around which might not matter but make sure to check how the page appears on webmaster tools and so on.

@burt @BrockleyJohn

Hi, Thank you for your comments. Because of the significant number of changes to my website, keeping it up-to-date is always a headache (particularly given my total lack of organising/documentation skills). Although there is obviously a bit of a processing overhead, I figured changes would be easier to identify/understand if kept outside core scripts.

Regarding search engine view of pages where elements have been moved/replaced/deleted by jQuery, the product_listing & product_info page titles/headings are quite heavily changed, I may need to check that it doesn’t have a negative impact.

Thank you for your help

• 2 weeks later...

ok, so I noticed something that I think needs to be addressed. While working on my site I am seeing that my own customer test-account session never ends. The one for my admin session seems to end sporadically and only after a few days. Today I searched for a fix and found one, though I have not implemented it yet.

Possibly for a future release, this should be something the store owner could control and it should not be set to last forever as default.

So, my question is,.. is the solution in the link above the best one or is there a different fix for this issue? Thanks.

3 hours ago, Demitry said:

this should be something the store owner could control and it should not be set to last forever as default.

It isn't and it doesn't.

This would be a problem at your end...perhaps at your configuration or perhaps at your server.

Hi, @Demitry and @burt

it is the same here on my BSEdge playground, running on german 1und1 shared hosting, PHP Version 5.6.31, sessions stored in file, the above mentioned fix works, I have to hope it is not harmful in anyway.

Best regards

Christoph

6 minutes ago, beerbee said:

Hi, @Demitry and @burt

it is the same here on my BSEdge playground, running on german 1und1 shared hosting, PHP Version 5.6.31, sessions stored in file, the above mentioned fix works, I have to hope it is not harmful in anyway.

Best regards

Christoph

Same here, i had to learn early that the sessions don't run out. i am on my own server and using the same solution @Demitry mentioned earlier.

• burt locked this topic
  • burt unlocked and locked this topic

Archived