• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Responsive osCommerce - Bootstrap

@@Jack_mcs @@raiwa

I don't know if this is possible but can it be offered as a compatibility module, without adding to the core?  

Dan

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@@Dan Cole I don't know if it would work as a module since the definitions have to be global. If that is possible then a module would work. If it was loaded with a hook, that would work. But the core code would still need to be changed. Plus, when installing an old addon when it says to make a change to the filenames file, that won't exist and it would cause confusion for some. 

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Feel free, developers, to make a compatibility module.

HT?

Hook?

Something else?

Upload it to the addons area.

Only if you have time though. Thanks.

If no-one has time;

This is the precise reason why GOLD exists.

If shopowners (or those who use it for their clients etc) use EDGE they should expect to have to deal with stuff like this.

The point, at least mine, is that it should be a change made to the core code and only you can do that. It doesn't require much of a change. Find the line that adds the configure file in applications_top, duplicate it and change it to filenames, database tables or whatever is needed, and its done. Here is what is needed for the filenames, placed above the code to load the configuration table.

if (file_exists('includes/filenames.php')) { //for backwards compatibility
    include('includes/filenames.php');
  }

I don't see how the above hurts the core code and it might make it so older addons can still work. Seems a win-win but maybe I'm missing something?

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

It's been removed from core code in Edge.

It is not going to be replaced into the core.

That truly would be pointless.

DEV'S:

Make your stuff for Gold if you don't have time or energy for Edge changes.

UNDEV'S (or not dev's, or shopowners):

Use Gold for your shop if you don't have time or energy for Edge changes.

And so, this conversation is done (from my end).

Should you all wish to discuss it further...feel free, but don't involve me or @ me :)

I think you may be missing the point. I'm not saying to add it back in to remove a change to the core code. This is for older addons. Consider a shop owner that knows enough to install an addon but not enough to get around problems like missing definitions. He tries to add an old addon but can't get past this point because the file doesn't exist. How would this differ from the blank user.css file that is part of the core code?

In the best of all worlds, someone would go in and rewrite the thousand or so useful addons that still reference the filenames but I doubt that will happen. So the question becomes if all of those addons, which is one of the reasons oscommerce is so popular and useful, are just abandoned. It seems to be a matter of ignoring what is best for the package in order to keep the core code pristine. If the change I mentioned would hurt the core code in any way, then I would agree. But since it can only help, I'm at a loss in understanding this position.  Maybe Harold, or someone else, can explain what I'm missing here.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

@@Jack_mcs Jack I'm thinking that those files are likely to get trashed every time there is an auto update....isn't that the reason for keeping changes out of the core?  I know we could code around that also but IMO it would be better to add the filename references to the contributions and save everyone from editing the filenames.php file on a going forward basis.  It is a bit of work but only needs to be done once.  As for the addons...the thousands you're talking about will likely need updating anyway to avoid changes to the core and subsequent issues as the core is continually updated.  Adding filenames to those contributions will be the least of our problems.

The nice part about this is that it is something the community can do without troubling those who are actively trying to move osC forward.

Dan

@@Dan Cole The user.css file is part of the core code and it is probably modified by most shops that use one of the bootstrap versions. If you had a working shop and a new version was updated, you would have to replace the user.css file with yours or your shop may not appear at all the way it did. I'm just saying that the same could be done with a filenames file. If an auto-update somehow skipped the user.css file, which it should, it could just as easily skip the filenames.php file. I agree that the addons need to be upgraded so this is not an issue. I don't agree with abandoning them for no good reason, that I can see.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

@@Jack_mcs user.css will definitely be a special case and need special consideration/handling. For me the filenames are not an issue.   As I think we've agreed, the addons will need to be updated anyway so sorting out the filenames, while someone is at it, should not be a big issue.  I'm curious about the configuration defines though and wonder if those could be handled through a ht module?

Dan

Dan - If you mean the configuration defines for an addon, then that should be handled by the addon. Most of the new addons written as modules apply the database changes from within the module already. So you could write such a module but it would have to be for each addon. And if that was going to be done, the addon might as well be rewritten.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

@@Jack_mcs

If you mean the configuration defines for an addon, then that should be handled by the addon.

I was referring to the configuration constants that Rainer referenced when he posted his suggestion.  I assume you can accomplish what he wanted to achieve by developing a hook or ht_module.  That seems like a way forward for anyone that wants to tackle it.

Dan   

fyi http://caniuse.com/#feat=flexbox

made me wonder what the minimum browser requirement is.

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

Absolutely @@bruyndoncx

Flexbox is built into bootstrap 4.  

Flexbox opens up so many possibilities...in the near future.

Even so, for an older browser, it just means the boxes will be uneven (like not having the equal-height ht module).  Remember, nothing to stop any shopowner from simply defaulting back to the equal height HT.

I believe this changeout of .css instead of a .js based solution solves more problems than it causes.

@@burt

i understand, it is just i noticed some issues with IE11 and wondered if the css has all the quircks covered. Guess if you start from bootstrap 4, it is as good as it gets ...

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

@@burt do you know of an addon for BS that changes the buy button to an inactive sold out button (or something similar) when the product quantity is 0?

No one yet. There's at least one for 2.2 but it's a difficult one to make without changing code. You'll have to make some changes in product_listing, product_info and maybe on other pages like comments, search.

This is what I used in product_info.php:

if ( tep_get_products_stock($listing['products_id']) <1 && STOCK_ALLOW_CHECKOUT == 'false') {
          $prod_list_contents .= '       <div class="col-xs-8 text-right">' . tep_draw_button(IMAGE_BUTTON_OUT_OF_STOCK, "fa fa-frown-o", null, null, array('params' => 'disabled="disabled"'), 'btn-danger btn-sm'). '</div>'; 

} else {
          $prod_list_contents .= '       <div class="col-xs-8 text-right">' . tep_draw_button(IMAGE_BUTTON_BUY_NOW, 'fa fa-shopping-cart', tep_href_link(basename($PHP_SELF), tep_get_all_get_params(array('action')) . 'action=buy_now&products_id=' . $listing['products_id']), NULL, NULL, 'btn-success btn-sm') . '</div>';
        }

@@burt

Gary, I am sure I have read somewhere about removing the gap above the 'Welcome to' message on the index page and all other pages so the page header aligns with the top of the info boxes but can not seem to find it or remember how to do it.

Please will you point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Mark

post-256780-0-90153000-1476210153_thumb.png

@@burt

Hi G

I was just updating one of the addons to by EDGE compatible and I saw that the TABLE_ definitions are still present in the latest EDGE version.

Weren't those TABLE_ definitions replaced once? Or was it just my imagination?

I was always replacing all FILENAME_ and TABLE_ definition in the files I am updating since....the past few months I think hope that was not the wrong thing to do.

:thumbsup: 

Thanks for confirming. :)

Depends on what you believe;

Seven blessings to you my friend.

or

May the Lord of Light be with you for the night is dark and full of terrors.

:D

• burt locked this topic
  • burt unlocked and locked this topic

Archived