• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Responsive osCommerce - Bootstrap

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it possible that all of the changes be posted on these forums so others can update their sites. There is no point in doing upgrade work if no one knows about it. People are now going to say about using github, but how many users of oscommerce BS use github. Many shop owners dont, but would like to keep their stores updated and current.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Is it possible that all of the changes be posted on these forums so others can update their sites. There is no point in doing upgrade work if no one knows about it. People are now going to say about using github, but how many users of oscommerce BS use github. Many shop owners dont, but would like to keep their stores updated and current.

All you/anyone needs to do is download the changed file and upload to their live site...

That assumes that the shopowner has not mutilated their code by adding in stuff the "old way" of course!

But how do people know what files have been changed.

I look on github and have no idea what a push, pull request or whatever is so I just go away and do nothing. I also suspect that many shop owners do the same. If it was all put in a simple post on these forums more would be keeping their stores up to date, which at the end of the day is the whole point of making it modular and easier to upgrade. If no one know whats been upgraded there is no point in keeping it easy to upgrade.

https://github.com/gburton/Responsive-osCommerce

Hit "commits".

Hit the button on each one, a bunch of random numbers.

Hit unified or split depending on your taste.

Not so hard?

Eg:

https://github.com/gburton/Responsive-osCommerce/commit/473577bee32bbf842cc61aac78ba9d2218e70361?diff=split

Or download Sourcetree, and learn something new.

Lots of shopowners have done just that...

Right that looks relatively simple. How do I know what each commit does, and why was it decided to update certain files, or do I just blindly change my store. As a store owner new to this platform, how do I know github exists and that its expected that I have to go there to find out about updates, and nothing will be mentioned in the support forum. Surely that is what the support forum is for.

Gary you know my new store, how far back do I go looking for updates that are required to bring the store code up to date. How do I find out whether there has been another code change or update. How often do I need to look to see whats been changed and whether it affects my store.

If there was a post on these forums about the updates, I, and many other users could then see in one place whether there was anything that ought to be updated. Why make the whole update process easier, then not tell everyone that there has been an update.

Lots of shop owners may have downloaded sourcetree and I would not like to challenge your figure for saying lots have, or in fact try to define lots, but what about the ones that havent. How do they know there has been an update. Why keep it a well hidden.

Sounds like a useful and helpful undertaking Steve.  I know finding your way around Github can be very challenging and as you say, how would you even know to look.

This is probably something the community could do to help out and an opportunity for those who are not interested in the coding side of things to pitch in and pull together the details of the changes being made, what they do and where to get them. 

How about setting up a thread to spare head that?  I'll pitch in and help where I can and I'm sure others will too.

It really is a great idea.

Dan

Frankly, the proper solution to this mess is for osC to formally adopt 2.3.4BS as the new official version (either 2.3.5 or 2.4). Let the work already done on 2.4 catch up as 2.4.1 or something. The old model of maintaining osC has clearly broken down, with updates so rare that the world thinks it's dead. I haven't seen anything from Harald or Jan for ages... are they still involved with osC? Are they even alive? (seriously) If nothing happens soon to move osC forward, I think it might be appropriate to officially fork a new product (2.3.4BS-based) under a new name, and leave osCommerce behind to moulder under the sod. The only alternative would be a new owner/governance for osCommerce, requiring Harald to turn over legal ownership to it.

Personally I think we need to stop moaning and groaning....it is what it is, and that's not likely to change.  If it does it'll be a bonus.  There are however things we can change and I think Steve's idea is one of those.  Lets focus on what we can do and not on what we can't.

Let our glasses be half full. :thumbsup:

Dan

@@MrPhil

I have to agree with you on this. As far as the outside world knows the latest thing that happened at oscommerce was the introduction of the paypal app. Thats what the website says, thats what facebook says, and thats what twitter says, and that was Dec 2014. Wikipedia has not been updated since 2014. Not one official update was released in 2015 and none so far this year. Its a shame, but something ought to be done. At the end of the day its up to Harald as its his baby, and if he wants to let it die, then he can. It would be nice if he turned it over to the community, but I cant see that happening as the community will only argue. Still this has been discussed many times and nothing happens so its really no point in going over old ground again.

To be honest, I dont understand the updates on github!

Admin; last commit 2 days ago, when I open the file the last commits of the files are 2 years ago???

open backups -> htaccess ; last commit 2 years ago.

I started a new shop with 234BS EDGE a few months ago, so I suppose i'm up 2 date.

The only clear file is https://github.com/g...0361?diff=split in this one I see the differences between old and new.

If others files are not like this one I dont RISK to updating my working shop.

I'm happy with 234BS EDGE, it does what I whant and I will never return to the regular OSC.

Where do I find Sourcetree?

Thanks all for this great ecommerce shop and for the support

Google Atlassian Sourcetree for the software.  Be forewarned there's a bit of a learning curve but putting in the time to learn is well worth it if you want to keep up on the latest.

As far as commits, they are incremental, chronologically listed.  You probably could cherry pick what commits (updates) you want but it's probably best to just keep up.

Get your Sourcetree going and you be able to select each commit, find and locate the files updated on your local working copy and put them in your system, using file compare software to check for any changes you might have made otherwise.  Doing the file change analysis is much easier in Sourcetree.

It might be worth it to bite the bullet and go straight to edge.  You'll have to deal with your configure files, images and some database stuff but it's worth it I'd think.

Maybe the forums could help out on that stuff, or get some help from a professional.

To be honest, I dont understand the updates on github!

Admin; last commit 2 days ago, when I open the file the last commits of the files are 2 years ago???

open backups -> htaccess ; last commit 2 years ago.

I started a new shop with 234BS EDGE a few months ago, so I suppose i'm up 2 date.

The only clear file is https://github.com/g...0361?diff=split in this one I see the differences between old and new.

If others files are not like this one I dont RISK to updating my working shop.

I'm happy with 234BS EDGE, it does what I whant and I will never return to the regular OSC.

Where do I find Sourcetree?

Thanks all for this great ecommerce shop and for the support

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

@@14steve14 What needs to be remembered is that the BS version is the "community " version, not the official one. As such, it's actually an indulgence that we are allowed to post about it on the official osCommerce forums. Better that until the BS version becomes official, it is hosted and info on it is kept as much as possible on Github.

osCommerce user since 2003! :thumbsup:

@@MrPhil @@14steve14

I'm not getting involved in fruitless discussion about what should or should not happen to the Community Responsive with regards to having it official. Been done too many times already.

@@14steve14

For updating, you can follow commits manually (as I showed), or with Sourcetree as @@altoid points out. Sourcetree has a learning curve, but it's worth it.

Another option;

Keep a copy of your live site on your desktop (in a folder).

Download latest Edge once a month or so and save it in a different folder on desktop.

Use winmerge to scan both folders and it will show you all the differences between yours and Edge.

Another option;

Some enterprising developer could set up a service for shopowners, where they install new commits to shopowners live shop.

Monthly "beer fee" to cover it.

@@Melhor

If you are on the Edge version from a few months ago, you are a few months out of date.

Another option;

Keep a copy of your live site on your desktop (in a folder).

Download latest Edge once a month or so and save it in a different folder on desktop.

Use winmerge to scan both folders and it will show you all the differences between yours and Edge.

@@Melhor

If you are on the Edge version from a few months ago, you are a few months out of date.

I always have a normal copy and a zip copy on the server, on my desktop, on external harddisk and in my cloud.

Few months out of date?

Shop is working properly, why I should update?

New features? Faster? More security? 

@@14steve14, @@Melhor  (why update? new features - SEO)

I am just looking at an easy way of doing this for someone and the early view is that github releases are the key.

Although it's a big software word, basically it just means a snapshot of all the files at a certain time.

This is a way to keep track of how your store was the last time that you updated it. Github will happily chuck out a zip of the whole system (eg. the gold download), but it doesn't have to be a proper bs release, you can do the same thing based on your own development branch, and the view is saved there for you.

The next time you're ready to hit your store with the latest changes, however many days, weeks, months down the line; you just make sure your master branch is up to date via your preferred method and then draw up a new release. The github tools can show you all the differences between the two stages.

You really don't need to worry about what's in individual commits and trying to pick and choose between them is not a good idea.

Contact me for work on updating existing stores - whether to Phoenix or the new osC when it's released.

Looking for a payment or shipping module? Maybe I've already done it.

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

I just dont get what is so hard about letting the whole forum know when something has been updated by posting something as simple as a quick note to say that there is an update.

Still never mind.

Some enterprising developer could set up a service for shopowners, where they install new commits to shopowners live shop.
Monthly "beer fee" to cover it.

Tell me your thoughts on this, shopowners.  There must be some developer who'd be up for it?

Tell me your thoughts on this, shopowners.  There must be some developer who'd be up for it?

Back from a trip..lots of catching up to do....

@@burt For the 95% shop owner/5% code maintainer people, unless they drill down through commit discussions (where there is any) understanding what technically the commit does/fixes is probably an issue with them.  

The developer you mention above may do well to have a site that lists the commits and gives in shop owner terms what it will do for the shop owners site.  Enhance, fix, whatever.

Perhaps a scale of 1 to 5 on urgency to install the commit.  Example 1 not so important and the shop will probably do fine without it to 5 where this is urgent and if not updated will do this, that or the other thing.

One need I see is a developer helping a Gold responsive shop owner get to Edge by the way.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

One need I see is a developer helping a Gold responsive shop owner get to Edge by the way.

Indeed.  To go from Gold to Edge should be fairly simple even if shopowner has changed core code.  

For a good developer, it would not be more than a days work, for sure => it's pretty much "ctrl+c ctrl+v" in all the right spots.

Once at Edge, possibilities open up for the Shopowner in terms of future updates.

hi all,   thanks for this great version of bootstrap.

i have a problem with product layout with the index.php or product_listing.php

http://depanneur-virtuel.info/images/banners/milkcat.bmp

index.php

product_listing.php

• v2.3.4 Bootstrap

Age_rectricted_category_v2.3.1.rar

Ajax categories caroussel.rar

ajax content.rar

Ajax whats new and promo.rar

Create Account & Manual Order Maker For OSC 2.3.4 V3.1.rar

install seperate taxe pricing..rar

@@devastator

Have you enabled the equal heights head tags module in admin?

admin > modules > header tags > equal heights

Dan

It appears that the original plan was to combine the Paypal App into the next version of osCommerce. Is there any plan to do this to the Bootstrap version?

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

• burt locked this topic
  • burt unlocked and locked this topic

Archived