• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Responsive osCommerce - Bootstrap

Hi

So this is a really stupid question, but I've just installed the "Edge" version of this on a test server, but for some reason I can't see the headers.

My site seems to start at the top of the Categories box.

I saw somewhere that this sort of thing can now be changed from the Admin section, but I couldn't find anywhere to change it.

My site:

http://test.sundance.com/shop/

Saying that, I'm not even 100% sure that the footer is there either...

Did I install it wrong? 

Or... ?

I tried googling this, but didn't find an answer.

I've been quite happy hacking along with the older version of OsCommerce, but we needed an update so I thought I'd start over with the responsive one.

Thanks.

Chris.

Admin - modules - content...then click on install modules in the top right eg. navigation bar.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are not the first to miss it, and you won't be the last.  

Any ideas, how can I make it more prominent ?

I remember back in the olden days (2.2) some instructions were printed on the index page, after the basic installation.

Perhaps we could go back to that sort of idea.

Thoughts?

Add a new first page to the installer, with some text saying "Read the instructions first" and a link to an HTML version of the instructions. Then a button at the bottom labelled "I have read the instructions" that starts the installer.

Probably a good idea to come up with some more friendly text, but you get the idea.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

This may seem daft, but how about chaging the wording on the "Welcome Guest" bit, or maybe add a bit to  "Welcome to Default osCommerce" on the basic default install?

These are both bits that will, or at least should, be changed when a site is developed / deployed

It was at this point that I noticed that I was missing something (like the headers and footers).

Even if it's just a link to a webpage somewhere?

If it helps, I can knock up a PDF that has screen grabs on how to run the whole install for both the Gold and Edge version?

Well, I did it.

There's a PDF here:

http://ftp2.sundance.com/Pub/temp/How%20to%20install%20oscommerce%20BS3.pdf

and the doc here:

http://ftp2.sundance.com/Pub/temp/How%20to%20install%20oscommerce%20BS3.doc

When I went through the install of the Edge version a few days ago, I'm sure that before I was asked for a name for what I wanted the Admin directory to be changed to, but when I ran though it for this documentation, I wasn't asked.

Is that a server setting, or something that I just imagined?

Also, the final page of the EDGE install doesn't mention stuff like deleting the install directory, changing the permissions of the config files etc.

I hope this help someone.

Chris

@@chrishamblin

Nicely done Chris! :thumbsup:

Curious though, in your install manual you describe how to change the admin name/folder. Why is that?

I have installed sure more then 50 test shops by now GOLD and EDGE and I always could enter the directory name on the 3rd page where you have to enter the admin username and password and so forth.

Here an image as proof.

Wonder why you don't get/see that part of the installation.

Wonder why you don't get/see that part of the installation.

This depend on folder permissions and server configuration

<?php
  if (osc_is_writable($dir_fs_document_root) && osc_is_writable($dir_fs_document_root . 'admin')) {
?>
      <div class="form-group has-feedback">
        <label for="adminDir" class="control-label col-xs-3">Administration Directory Name</label>
        <div class="col-xs-9">
          <?php echo osc_draw_input_field('CFG_ADMIN_DIRECTORY', 'admin', 'required aria-required="true" id="adminDir"'); ?>
          <span class="glyphicon glyphicon-asterisk form-control-feedback inputRequirement"></span>
          <span class="help-block">This is the directory where the administration section will be installed. You should change this for security reasons.</span>
        </div>
      </div>
<?php
  }

?>

I thought I saw that on one of the test installs I did, but couldn't see it when I came to do the guide.

In the end it’s possibly better to leave the guide as is, and then people will get a pleasant surprise when they find out they don't need to do that bit?

I'm glad to see that I wasn't going mad though.

Very Nice Chris!  But, I have a suggestion.  One is you refer to "/var/www/sites/" but for many it will be "home/username/public_html/". 

Thanks for that.  I'd forgotten that this was a choice I'd made when I set up my server.  It's the little things that will get you.  I'll update the files next week.

I'll try and dig out the relevant locations for Ubuntu, Centos and Windows. 

Are there any more popular OS's that would have a different path?

Chris.

Centos and Redhat I think are always "home/username/public_html", but i'm not positive.  My windows apache is "htdocs", but i install Apache, php, and mysql separately and not part of a package like wamp. 

One other note is severs runing as a cgi like Mod_Suphp can run php files more securely at 600 and 400 for config.  I don't know if you want to include that or not.

I'm not really a dog.

@@burt just updating my site from your git to add the font awesome changes and noticed you didn't change Menu icon-bar the navbar template.

<button type="button" class="navbar-toggle" data-toggle="collapse" data-target="#bs-navbar-collapse-core-nav">
        <span class="sr-only"><?php echo HEADER_TOGGLE_NAV; ?></span>
        <span class="icon-bar"></span>
      </button>

Could be (should be?)

<button type="button" class="navbar-toggle" data-toggle="collapse" data-target="#bs-navbar-collapse-core-nav">
        <span class="sr-only"><?php echo HEADER_TOGGLE_NAV; ?></span>
        <i class="fa fa-bars"></i> 
      </button>

Sorry @@burt one more....

In product_listing module

<a href="#" id="list" class="btn btn-default btn-sm"><span class="fa fa-th-list"></span><?php echo TEXT_VIEW_LIST; ?></a>
        <a href="#" id="grid" class="btn btn-default btn-sm"><span class="fa fa-th"></span><?php echo TEXT_VIEW_GRID; ?></a>

The quality of the font awesome th-list and th don't work in a btn-sm - in particular on larger screens.

However changing it from btn-sm to just btn it is a little to large on xs screens.

Any thoughts?

I don't know if its off topic but I installed the "Total B2B" in OSC (BS) and in login.php I get this error?

Fatal error: Call to undefined function tep_draw_password_field() in /users/xxx/www/oscbs/login.php on line 126

@@burt

icon-bar is not a glyphicon, so it can be left as is.  Or it can be changed.

yes, got it... it was more of a suggestion I guess. Although it only saves a couple lines of code.... I'm not sure it was worth the time to write it down.... lol   :blush: 

th and th-list in a small button ... try some of the other fa icons?

I think the th and th-list make the most sense (although I'll try some others). They just don't render on a large screen in a btn-sm.

Best I can come up with is add fa-lg... or remove the btn-sm (my preference). Again just a suggestion..... not a biggie either way.

Thanks for that.  I'd forgotten that this was a choice I'd made when I set up my server.  It's the little things that will get you.  I'll update the files next week.

I'll try and dig out the relevant locations for Ubuntu, Centos and Windows. 

Are there any more popular OS's that would have a different path?

Chris.

Good job, Chris. I think it could be a good idea also to cater for shared hosting which can be a variety of formats... if folks are using filemanager in a control panel or an external ftp they may never even need to know the full path now it gets put into the config files for them. Do you need to refer to the full physical path throughout anyway, maybe [catalog]/install etc? People operating from the command line who need to know, probably don't need telling.

Maybe also tell shared hosting people not to start with the version of osc that comes as an install option in their control panel as it's easier to start fresh.

...and in the vain hope that someone will read all the way to the end, something about equal heights might reduce the number of non-bug reports.

Here are some layout notes I began earlier - use/ignore as you will. (ms-word doc)

If only the responsive github had been set up with a catalog folder and a docs folder, there'd be somewhere to put it :P

I did wonder about the repo wiki but I've a feeling no one would ever look at documentation if it's not in the download package, though maybe if linked from the default catalog index and somewhere in admin?

Contact me for work on updating existing stores - whether to Phoenix or the new osC when it's released.

Looking for a payment or shipping module? Maybe I've already done it.

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

• burt locked this topic
  • burt unlocked and locked this topic

Archived