• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Responsive osCommerce - Bootstrap

just wondering, in BS, is the top level category never clickable when you have subs ?

eg you can call up the gadgets page, but not the hardware category page ?

That's interesting...hadn't noticed it before...I googled for it and found...

That's the default behaviour. The nav's are activated by clicks, not hovers. This explains why clicking the anchor, is revealing the submenu instead of following the link.

There is a work around to make the menu drop down on hover rather than on click but that seems to create problems on small devices where there is no hover.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well done Matt....good work around for the parent category issue....hopefully this will find it's way into Gary's release...I appreciate your stepping up and tackling the horizontal navbar issue. :thumbsup:

Awesome work, so far. It looks very promising. :)

That looks quite good and very clean, but what happens or how does it look, when there are more categories(10, 15, 20)?

Does it expand to two (or more) rows?

I'm wondering, if it stays this clean or if it becomes a bit confusing.

AD

@@wHiTeHaT

Yes. I thought about it other ways but seeing how the bootstrap.js uses it to control things, I figured it was suitable.

@@AngusD

There is a max_level variable as part of the class that generates the menu. I believe it can be used to set how deep it goes into the category tree but I have not played with that function yet. ***EDIT Yes, setMaximumLevel() works for this.

Matt

Awesome work, so far. It looks very promising. :)

That looks quite good and very clean, but what happens or how does it look, when there are more categories(10, 15, 20)?

Does it expand to two (or more) rows?

I'm wondering, if it stays this clean or if it becomes a bit confusing.

AD

Yeah was wondering myself if a shop has a lot of cats then it will probably double up or ...???

which is confusing like the old superfish nav bar

done this a while ago it is a bit of a mess and not really responsive although looks ok on smaller screens but decided that the best way to display was

to have just the By Catagory at top level same with manufacture and from there to expand out and down .

Sort of keeps things tidy no matter how many category.

--> link

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

OK, I misunderstood. I thought we were referring to child categories not parent.

I suppose something like this could try to be incorporated if a shop owner needed it. http://geedmo.github.io/yamm/

As always lots of options out there...

@@wHiTeHaT

Yeah it isn't 100% ideal but it works. There aren't really good fallbacks for no-js situations with bootstrap that I have seen, not that they couldn't be coded.

Matt

A horizontal top menu should be optional, it will not work for shops that have many top level categories. Alternatively a solution to select which top level categories are included in the horizontal nav could be added.

Hi

On the index page where the New Products for the Month are shown, will the

Price of the item also be shown. It seems a little strange asking someone to "Buy Now" when they are unable to see the price. I am aware that if they click on the item they are taken to the product page where the price is shown. I the price should show, but thats just me.

This maybe has been addressed in previous posts.

Cheers

On the index page where the New Products for the Month are shown, will the Price of the item also be shown. It seems a little strange asking someone to "Buy Now" when they are unable to see the price. I am aware that if they click on the item they are taken to the product page where the price is shown. I the price should show, but thats just me. This maybe has been addressed in previous posts.

This has come up a few times and if I recall correctly Gary has agreed that it needs to be added. If not, I'm sure the general community will fix it quickly.

Changed template_bottom.php (Added jQuery.js and bootstrap.js for faster page loading)

Could you gtmetrix/yslow the base install...

Then move the calls to .js to footer and do again...

Could you report back the difference.

I will do the same (later on tonight) and if someone else could the same as well, that would be helpful.

Yours shows a .11 seconds decrease in page load time; 1.60 -> 1.49

Header: http://gtmetrix.com/reports/www.template.me.uk/ZC1h6Swt

Footer: http://gtmetrix.com/reports/www.template.me.uk/xkXswPqv

Mine shows a .07 seconds decrease; 1.18 -> 1.11

Not a massive difference, but it's worth making this small change, I'll do the commit later on.

So i want to do a proposal.

This proposal is in majority for the mobile view, because there is the most trouble when implement sub-menu's.

The proposal is good, I absolutely hate the horiz menu as it stands in XS view. I wonder though how you're going to code up 1 thing for "this" (> XS) and another for "that" (= XS) ?

Ah ok, I thought you made is sound a bit easy :D

A horiz menu isn't going to make the 1st core release I think, so when it arrives it can easily be added as a module - I'm about to make some changes in the header to allow modularity a bit like the footer area...

Greetings. Not a profesional programmer or developer; just a DIY amateur trying to cobble together my first (responsive) shopping cart. I bought a couple of other templates, but couldn't make them do what I wanted.

My goal is to keep my site *very* simple. These are items that I manufacturer, and initially there are only 2 catagories and 12 part numbers. I don't need "What's New", "Reviews", "Manufacturers", "Specials", etc. I need the site to be very phone-friendly, as I suspect that's where most of my customers are.

Found this thread, been following it intently, and have learned far more than I would have imagined. I downloaded the ZIP file and installed it on my test machine. I've managed to strip out most of what I don't need, and am pleased with the results, but still have some things that need to be fixed.

One thing I'd like to see is the ability to have a description field for a catagory, such as in this addon:

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/2343

I've tested this on a generic osCommerce shopping cart, and it does what I need. I have not yet tested it with your template, but I hope to do so when I get a little more time.

Another thing I'd like to see is the ability to incorporate a guest check-out.

I've got a test site available, and I hope to post what I've done so far soon.

Thanks,

Malcolm

I would suggest you use the reloaded contribution

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8864

as you should have meta tags etc anyway and at the same time this will give you a category description as regards the guest checkout I personally would use the better checkout although it is commercial

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/user/289095-mattjt83/

as I believe it would be the easiest to tweak for mobile use

Just my opinion other members may have different ideas

Regards

Joli

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

@@wHiTeHaT

I agree that something different, more elegant, should happen, but without having to implement another 3rd party script.

I can see the accordion working well, if it can be laid the right way.

I too had extended the category_tree class about the same time as Matt, and found the same issues that came up here - I had to add in an extra link inside the dropdown to navigate to the category root, and saw its weakness handling deeper levels.

I *thought bootstrap 2.XX handled unlimited nesting?

Follow the community build:

BS3 to osCommerce Responsive from the Get Go!

Check out the new construction:

Admin Gone to Total BS!

• burt locked this topic
  • burt unlocked and locked this topic

Archived