Latest News: (loading..)
burt

Bootstrap 3 in 2.3.4 - Responsive from the Get Go

2,175 posts in this topic

What do you mean with "end of the road"?

@@Dan Cole I have one more thing I would like to do with Edge and then that will be the end of the road.

You may very well find that some modifications you had to do to your 2.3.4...are already built into the Responsive.

Best advice:  install on a test site/server an out of the box Responsive and have a play with it.

Thanks for the answer, I installed it. Very good work on it!!!

Altho I have to make some of the features that I created before like "Checkout without registering", I wonder if I should create it like a Content Module so it can be installed like an addon.

Altho I have to make some of the features that I created before like "Checkout without registering", I wonder if I should create it like a Content Module so it can be installed like an addon.

That is the best approach....if the core changes you won't need to redo it again...at worst, you should be able to just install the content module again.  You'll also be able to contribute your work to the community if you wish.

Dan

@@fanaya

Thanks for the answer, I installed it. Very good work on it!!!

You can use PWA (Purchase Without Account) BS reloaded, I think that it does the same things like your "Checkout without registering".

@burt so I guess updating the core tep_validate_ip_address function to work with ipv6 is out of the question?

Do these conversations then move to the 2.4 tread?

Yeah we're at the end of the road pretty much.  Run out of gas, and tyres are bald I'd say.

When and/or If  more releases of 2.3 (official) are made, I may (or may not) mirror any changes made into the Community Version.

If you find bugs or changes needed in anything that is in Community but not in Official:
It can be looked at by reporting bugs at Github (my Repo)

If you find bugs or changes needed in anything that is in Community AND is in Official:
It can be looked at by reporting bugs at Github (osCommerce Repo)

Posted (edited)

To valid the ipv4 or ipv6 i recommand to use http://php.net/manual/en/function.inet-pton.php  PHP 5 >= 5.1.0, PHP 7

I did change in an inofficial version the old function (tep_validate_ip_address ) too:

function isValidIpAddress($ip_address) {
    $IPaddr = inet_pton($ip_address);
    if ( $IPaddr == false) { 
    	return false; 
    } else {
     	return true;
    }
  }

it's working very well.

Edited by mcmannehan

1 hour ago, mcmannehan said:

To valid the ipv4 or ipv6 i recommand to use http://php.net/manual/en/function.inet-pton.php  PHP 5 >= 5.1.0, PHP 7

I did change in an inofficial version the old function (tep_validate_ip_address ) too:

function isValidIpAddress($ip_address) {
    $IPaddr = inet_pton($ip_address);
    if ( $IPaddr == false) { 
    	return false; 
    } else {
     	return true;
    }
  }

it's working very well.

@burt do you want to move this discussion into its own thread?

Thank you kindly.... @mcmannehan

Is this not sufficient (?

function tep_validate_ip_address($ip_address) {
    if (function_exists('filter_var') && defined('FILTER_VALIDATE_IP')) {
      return filter_var($ip_address, FILTER_VALIDATE_IP);
    }

return false;
  }

And I presume the DB also needs to be changed... To VARBINARY(16)

Posted (edited)

14 hours ago, greasemonkey said:

@burt do you want to move this discussion into its own thread?

Thank you kindly.... @mcmannehan

Is this not sufficient (?

function tep_validate_ip_address($ip_address) {
    if (function_exists('filter_var') && defined('FILTER_VALIDATE_IP')) {
      return filter_var($ip_address, FILTER_VALIDATE_IP);
    }

return false;
  }

And I presume the DB also needs to be changed... To VARBINARY(16)

@greasemonkey your welcome!

Why not use a PHP function? It's there so i use it. I did post extra the link to the PHP manual because you have to filter the ip numbers too and the if statement for

defined('FILTER_VALIDATE_IP')

i do before in my filter function for the ip numbers.

Your resolution have to filter too, a lot more then the inet_pton function. read here: http://php.net/manual/de/function.filter-var.php

Of Course DB have to change. I didn't test your resolution maybe it's sufficient.

Edited by mcmannehan

I have an old oscommerce site with v2.2 RC2, yeah I know its old but I need to create all new site based on the old one quick.  php v2 is too old for my server host. Tried 2.3.4 but it wont even start to load for the set up. WSOD. I don't have time for this nonsense.  Last thing I can find is you all talk about  a BS version and a BS Gold. Are there plenty of updates for it?  From what you all are saying I don't understand any of it. Anyone speak English here?  What's up with this? Which is newest? I don't want to do a total new set up and find there is something else right around the corner it won't work with.  Anyway - who can point me in the right direction to hit the ground running? I thought I had the latest version, and I am finding out now no it is not. I liked the look and feel of it cause it reminded me of the 2.2 when I first did it. Why is the latest not on the normal oscommerce download page?  I am seeing samples of it and it is a white space and weird.  Not what I am used to.  Will it be hard for me to make my store look like the old store? Don't tell me this is the new trend - I hate it. Help....

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, jimsmega said:

I have an old oscommerce site with v2.2 RC2, yeah I know its old but I need to create all new site based on the old one quick.  php v2 is too old for my server host. Tried 2.3.4 but it wont even start to load for the set up. WSOD. I don't have time for this nonsense.  Last thing I can find is you all talk about  a BS version and a BS Gold. Are there plenty of updates for it?  From what you all are saying I don't understand any of it. Anyone speak English here?  What's up with this? Which is newest? I don't want to do a total new set up and find there is something else right around the corner it won't work with.  Anyway - who can point me in the right direction to hit the ground running? I thought I had the latest version, and I am finding out now no it is not. I liked the look and feel of it cause it reminded me of the 2.2 when I first did it. Why is the latest not on the normal oscommerce download page?  I am seeing samples of it and it is a white space and weird.  Not what I am used to.  Will it be hard for me to make my store look like the old store? Don't tell me this is the new trend - I hate it. Help....

Take a breath, Stefanie! I know all this stuff is frustrating. A modern version (which the official 2.3.4 isn't) won't look exactly like your familiar store because it needs to work on mobiles - half your visitors will be using them. You should be taking the BS community version everyone is talking about (Gold/Edge). Although it's not an official version, its catalog code is incorporated into the next official version (currently in beta) and we're assured there will be a migration path from Edge to one of the official releases. Customisation (addons) done in the community version will give less problem for upgrades if done properly. WSOD is probably a php version issue. Here's what I think you should do:

- download the Edge version

- create a subfolder in your webspace to use for trying out the new version (eg. /test)

- make sure you're running php5.4 or higher in that subfolder (but not your main store or you'll break it)

- create an empty database to use for your install

- run the install on the new shop by visiting /test

- check your new install works, and have a look at how the modules work in this version (boxes, content)

- create a copy of your live database

- run the migration scripts on your database copy (see answer to you here https://forums.oscommerce.com/topic/408979-upgrading-to-the-latest-version/?do=findComment&comment=1757560)

- change the test config files to point at the migrated database instead

- make it look how you want!

...if you have addons in 2.2 you may need to do some extra stuff to cater for them. When you get stuck, start a thread and we'll help on the detail. If I don't see it, message me.

Edited by BrockleyJohn
BS!

On 26/06/2017 at 0:04 PM, burt said:

MySQL 5.7 compatibility

https://github.com/gburton/Responsive-osCommerce/pull/563

Pending commit for testing.  2 lines of code to add.

Call out to folks working on their own server (physical or virtual) to test this please. It needs trying out on an installation running the default server options for MySQL 5.7 which won't be the case on shared hosting.

frankl likes this

Question, is there an addon for this version to make the image bigger? In the listing and in the product info, in the normal version when the user clicks on the image, the image gets bigger. I don't see that happening anymore.

trier  I don't understand what you mean by "promote" but the Edge version is the latest version, if that helps.

fanaya2000 The size of the popup image has always been the full size of the image. It is never a good idea to artificially enlarge an image since definition can be lost.

1 hour ago, Jack_mcs said:

trier  I don't understand what you mean by "promote" but the Edge version is the latest version, if that helps.

fanaya2000 The size of the popup image has always been the full size of the image. It is never a good idea to artificially enlarge an image since definition can be lost.

I don't get a popup. Maybe I didn't install something correctly? I click in the image and nothing happens.

Posted (edited)

Hello @fanaya2000,

check in your admin area if you have the following module installed and activated:

admin -> modules -> header tags -> colorbox script

and then in the module check if you have the page "product_info.php" ticked

Edited by raiwa

7 minutes ago, raiwa said:

Hello @fanaya2000,

check in your admin area if you have the following module installed and activated:

admin -> modules -> header tags -> colorbox script

and then in the module check if you have the page "product_info.php" ticked

Thank you very much, that was the issue.

I am learning oscommerce this is a good ecommerce platform, would like to know if I can use Gold Download and Edge (from Burt) for commercial use.

If this turns out to be a long term platform hopefully we will be able to afford a paid template in future.

Posted (edited)

Do you mean "can I use this software for a commercial, money-making online store"? Of course! That's what about 99.999% of the other people here are doing. If you mean "can I sell copies of the store, or otherwise make money off this software itself", there are limits on that (e.g., you can sell services and templates). Please read the license carefully and consult with an Intellectual Property lawyer first. Even better, state here what you want to do, and the people here will tell you if it's acceptable.

You don't need any paid templates. You are free to modify the software and its configuration (CSS, etc.) yourself. In fact, templates tend to be a big problem for store owners -- best to avoid most of them.

By the way, you should use osC 2.3.4 BS Edge, not Gold. You don't use both of them together.

Edited by MrPhil

@manwanis You can certainly use a Gold or Edge store to sell stuff, that's what it's designed for. You don't necessarily need a paid template either, as Phil suggested you can alter the css yourself or you can use one of the free Bootstrap templates available. 

@manwanis Cool. Let us see the results when you open your store.