burt

Bootstrap 3 in 2.3.4 - Responsive from the Get Go

@@burt

I tried it Gary....I removed the rewrite rule I had in my .htaccess file and then tested to see if problem reoccurred and it did...I then added the snippet you directed us to and as far as I could tell it didn't change anything that I could see...the problem certainly continued...I then added my rewrite rule back and again the problem went away.   In summary the snippet was a no go...

@@Dan Cole - you can use the rewrite rule, no real problem doing so.   It's a good idea to force www (or not) anyway to help stop duplicate content.

@@Harald Ponce de Leon - can you recall what amendments you made to the server config to combat this ?

This is a signature that appears on all my posts.  
IF YOU MAKE A POST REQUESTING HELP...please state the exact version
of osCommerce that you are using. THANKS

Get the latest current code (community-supported responsive 2.3.4.1BS Edge) here

@@burt

We had the missing Icon problem when you were still building the osC BS shop and asked us to test various things.
At page 21 of this topic people started to mention missing Icons when accessing the page with or without www.
then on that same page someone posted this

http://forums.oscommerce.com/topic/396152-bootstrap-3-in-2334-responsive-from-the-get-go/?p=1694888

and you added it to your test site and it seemed to have solved the issue.

I just did another test on my test site. Removing that snipped from the htaccess file and accessing my test site "with" www.

After hitting ctrl+F5 (to clear the cache) i have the missing icons issue. Adding that snippet back into the htaccess file i can access the site with or without www.

and the icons show all just fine.

@@burt look at the htaccess file of your test site the snippet should be still inside it. try to remove it, hit ctrl+F5 and see for yourself.

@@Tsimi

@@burt

Thanks Lambros and Gary...I just tried it again and it does indeed work...cache issue perhaps. BTW, is it any different from using a normal rewrite? It seems to do the same thing...rewrites the incoming URL.

I'm using something similar to the following nginx rule for the website:

location /public/sites/Website/ {

if ($http_origin ~* (oscommerce\.com|library\.oscommerce\.com|ssl\.oscommerce\.com)$) {

add_header Access-Control-Allow-Origin "$http_origin";

}

}

There are too many variables involved in trying to detect this so redirecting from main domain to subdomain would be the safer route to go. A header tag module could even take care of this so no web server configuration would be needed. Something like:

$server = ($request_type == 'NONSSL') ? HTTP_SERVER : HTTPS_SERVER;

$local = parse_url($server);

if ( isset($HTTP_SERVER_VARS['HTTP_HOST']) && ($HTTP_SERVER_VARS['HTTP_HOST'] != $local['host']) ) {
  tep_redirect(tep_href_link($PHP_SELF, tep_get_all_get_params()));
}

* non-tested code

:heart:, osCommerce

@@Tsimi - do you know where the snippet originally came from ?  In other words where in the billions of pages on the net it was found ?  Thanks

@@lorem_ipsum - any ideas - is the code usable in a GPL project?

Edited by burt

Get the latest current code (community-supported responsive 2.3.4.1BS Edge) here

@@burt

no clue where that came from.

the other member (lorem_ipsum) that you mention in your post posted that code on page 21.

Hi all,

there are conflicts between ssl and non ssl cached links in oscommerce cache file system.. otherwise the absolute links would be better to work with. A lot of crawl bot are running on fail with relative links opposite to when I used on absolute. Images, fonts and all links are sensitive.

well as the bootstrap icon conflict appeared the link problems will be burn on our fingers..

Edited by Gergely

:blink:
osCommerce based shop owner with minimal design and focused on background works. When the less is more.
Email managment with tracking pixel, package managment for shipping, stock management, warehouse managment with bar code reader, parcel shops management on 3000 pickup points without local store.

Anyone know where I find the bootstrap footer that Gary built? I couldn't find it on GitHub or in the 2.3.3.4 osC bootstrap version I downloaded? There is reference to it needing to be installed in the Admin->Modules area but I can't see it anywhere.

Footer boxes are installed at admin > modules > boxes.  

Choose "footer" for position.

Thanks @@burt I figured that based on your notes on GitHub but I don't see a footer module listed there.

There is no footer module ... the footer is "made" from the selected boxes.

@@burt

Hi Gary!

I was working on something that required to use a modal.

Now when the modal shows up the whole shop shifts to the right for about 10-15px.

It is a known issue https://github.com/twbs/bootstrap/issues/9855

and there are some temporary solutions out there but the best would be to updated Bootstrap to the latest version 3.2.0

Did you make any particular custom changes inside the css and js files of bootstrap? Or are they vanilla BS?

I installed 3.2.0 and the search bar in the header shrinked so something is different then before...

If you tell me that you used the vanilla BS files then I will just need to go adjust the code inside the search header_tags module.

No bootstrap .js .css was touched.

This is the exact reson why custom.css and user.css exist (so as not to have to touch files, making upgrades easy [drop in the new files and reference them if the names have changed]).

Ok thanks then the new 3.2.0 version is the cause for the change of the search bar. It went from col-md-6 to what looks to be a col-md-2 not really sure yet need to take a look at it.

Also inside the create account file the asterik are going wild. There are now more then necessary...also something i will look into it as soon the modal thing is done.

Thanks Gary.

Hi @@burt

I have installed the files and have come accross some problems that i dont know if you can help me with please. My website is cardsinspain.com

1- the products dont seem to line up.

2- when clicking on view, the products page are blank.

3- categories dont line up either.

Can you please help me out, thankyou

@@rankedsites this thread is for discussion of the BS core.

Check your error_logs (in your hosting control panel) for any problems and try to find the solution for those problems

Make a NEW thread if you need further help

Edited by burt

Sorry @@burt.

I thought this was related to the boostrap theme as i only seem to get the problem when i install it.

The error logs indicate no problems so not sure whats wrong

@@burt

I updated the BS to version 3.2.0 and looked at the shop page by page and the only thing that looks not same anymore are the things i already told you.

The search input field and the asterik in the create account page.

I did some changes and I hope you find the time to confirm them that this is a way to do it or not.

html_output.php line 425

replace

'class="navbar-form"'

with

'style="margin: 10px 0px 10px 0px;"'

or use

'class="navbar-form navbar-right"'

to keep the search input field small but most right of the screen. I felt that it actually doesn't look that bad with a small search field. But that is just my opinion...

english.php

remove form-control-feedback from

define('FORM_REQUIRED_INFORMATION', '<span class="glyphicon glyphicon-asterisk inputRequirement"></span> Required information');

add new definition for the checkboxes

define('FORM_REQUIRED_INPUT2', '<span class="glyphicon glyphicon-asterisk inputRequirement"></span>');

keep this following definition as it is for the other input fields

define('FORM_REQUIRED_INPUT', '<span class="glyphicon glyphicon-asterisk form-control-feedback inputRequirement"></span>');

create_account.php

change this code around line 296

from this

<?php echo FORM_REQUIRED_INPUT; ?>

to this

<?php echo FORM_REQUIRED_INPUT2; ?>

I will keep looking around maybe there is more to change...

Edited by Tsimi

the following two files also contain the gender checkboxes.

account_edit.php

includes\modules\address_book_details.php

so just change to <?php echo FORM_REQUIRED_INPUT2; ?>

Edited by Tsimi

I did some changes and I hope you find the time to confirm them that this is a way to do it or not.

It is a way, but is not the way.

@@burt

I hope you will enlighten us in the near future by showing us "the way". Till then "a way" will have to suffice. ;)

I've just moved what's new, greetings text and upcoming products to newly created modules. I hope I did it well with Github, I'm still trying to figure out how it works.