burt

Bootstrap 3 in 2.3.4 - Responsive from the Get Go

@@bruyndoncx - nothing to stop people finding or making their own.

ofcourse, only time (and skills) and/or money required ...

just chiming in to keep the thread on top of the page :D

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

OK, I have reworked the horizontal header menu by extending the category tree class, which is much cleaner than the previous solution I had used. There is also an option to include the manufacturers. You can see multiple sublevel categories on the "Test" category:

http://bettercheckout.com/demo/2334_BS3/

Matt

Now that is looking great :thumbsup:

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

I note that your top bar has a changed sequence: it makes no sense to leave the Cart there and not alongside "My Account". I realise that you might just be experimenting. ;-)

At 800x600 and 768x1024 resolutions (Firefox responsive view), Test sub 3 vanishes off the edge.

Edited by ejsolutions

@@ejsolutions

The top bar is just what I had done as an alternative to what @@burt had done. He has taken bits and pieces and made his adjustments but I never changed mine to match :)

I see what you mean on test sub 3. We could add a media query to make adjustments for smaller screens but I don't want to do too much with it until more people give input as it may end up getting thrown out anyway.

Matt

@@mattjt83 Your Categories/Manufacturers menu gives further impetus to remove those infoBoxes, during the checkout process. :thumbsup: Wonders if @@burt has a cunning plan figured out for that. B)

Hi all!

Read this thread in full and all your work is great!

Since Burt asks for feedback... On iPad the dropdowns of the nav menu are showing behind the breadcrumb box. Probably needs a change in z-index.

Regards!

just wondering, in BS, is the top level category never clickable when you have subs ?

eg you can call up the gadgets page, but not the hardware category page ?

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

Hi all!

Read this thread in full and all your work is great!

Since Burt asks for feedback... On iPad the dropdowns of the nav menu are showing behind the breadcrumb box. Probably needs a change in z-index.

Regards!

Screenshot would be great help please. Thanks!

This is a signature that appears on all my posts.  
IF YOU MAKE A POST REQUESTING HELP...please state the exact version
of osCommerce that you are using. THANKS

Get the latest current code (community-supported responsive 2.3.4.1BS Edge) here

Hi

There is an extra <p> in includes\languages\english\modules\boxes\bm_text.php

….took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.</p><p>');

Regards

Ken

just wondering, in BS, is the top level category never clickable when you have subs ?

eg you can call up the gadgets page, but not the hardware category page ?

That's interesting...hadn't noticed it before...I googled for it and found...

That's the default behaviour. The nav's are activated by clicks, not hovers. This explains why clicking the anchor, is revealing the submenu instead of following the link.

There is a work around to make the menu drop down on hover rather than on click but that seems to create problems on small devices where there is no hover.

Well done Matt....good work around for the parent category issue....hopefully this will find it's way into Gary's release...I appreciate your stepping up and tackling the horizontal navbar issue. :thumbsup:

Awesome work, so far. It looks very promising. :)

That looks quite good and very clean, but what happens or how does it look, when there are more categories(10, 15, 20)?

Does it expand to two (or more) rows?

I'm wondering, if it stays this clean or if it becomes a bit confusing.

AD

@@wHiTeHaT

Yes. I thought about it other ways but seeing how the bootstrap.js uses it to control things, I figured it was suitable.

@@AngusD

There is a max_level variable as part of the class that generates the menu. I believe it can be used to set how deep it goes into the category tree but I have not played with that function yet. ***EDIT Yes, setMaximumLevel() works for this.

Edited by mattjt83

Matt

Awesome work, so far. It looks very promising. :)

That looks quite good and very clean, but what happens or how does it look, when there are more categories(10, 15, 20)?

Does it expand to two (or more) rows?

I'm wondering, if it stays this clean or if it becomes a bit confusing.

AD

Yeah was wondering myself if a shop has a lot of cats then it will probably double up or ...???

which is confusing like the old superfish nav bar

done this a while ago it is a bit of a mess and not really responsive although looks ok on smaller screens but decided that the best way to display was

to have just the By Catagory at top level same with manufacture and from there to expand out and down .

Sort of keeps things tidy no matter how many category.

--> link

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

OK, I misunderstood. I thought we were referring to child categories not parent.

I suppose something like this could try to be incorporated if a shop owner needed it. http://geedmo.github.io/yamm/

As always lots of options out there...

@@wHiTeHaT

Yeah it isn't 100% ideal but it works. There aren't really good fallbacks for no-js situations with bootstrap that I have seen, not that they couldn't be coded.

Matt

That is default behaviour, any category can have products or more category, not both.

Get the latest current code (community-supported responsive 2.3.4.1BS Edge) here

code it in and share (if you think the cat class could do with being cached)...

Edited by burt

A horizontal top menu should be optional, it will not work for shops that have many top level categories. Alternatively a solution to select which top level categories are included in the horizontal nav could be added.

Edited by toyicebear

Hi

On the index page where the New Products for the Month are shown, will the

Price of the item also be shown. It seems a little strange asking someone to "Buy Now" when they are unable to see the price. I am aware that if they click on the item they are taken to the product page where the price is shown. I the price should show, but thats just me.

This maybe has been addressed in previous posts.

Cheers

@@joli1811, @@mattjt83

Yes, that's what I meant. Top-Level (Parent) categories, not child. Sorry.

Both solutions are looking great and probably worth a try.

I will certainly take a look at this "Yamm Megamenu".

AD