burt

Bootstrap 3 in 2.3.4 - Responsive from the Get Go

I'm for a simple footer, often it gets big and dominating, which I think "Stuart" is.

I would wote for a system where you select what goes in.

/Jesper

Edited by kvadre

I would like to find some payment icons (they have to be MIT licensed for commercial use and have no restriction on distribution). If anyone comes across some, please post.

@@De Dokta - the other user in the German Forum is clueless, needs to be educated ;)

Edited by burt

This is a signature that appears on all my posts.  
IF YOU MAKE A POST REQUESTING HELP...please state the exact version
of osCommerce that you are using. THANKS

Get the latest current code (community-supported responsive 2.3.4.1BS Edge) here

Bear in mind also, that making a modular system does limit the shopowner in what they can do (until they know how to get past the standard functions and extend it themselves), or pay a developer to extend it. Does that matter ?

It's up to you guys to have a think about that, and provide feedback on your thoughts to this thread. In essense, Magento went this way (making things easy at first glance, but incredibly difficult when first glance becomes unwanted) - and that is what a lot of people hate about Magento....

Get the latest current code (community-supported responsive 2.3.4.1BS Edge) here

Hi

Reviews look great :thumbsup:

Stuart and prestashop footers are similar. But prestashop creates many contrast errors with the choice of colours. Check them here http://wave.webaim.org/

Regards

Ken

.. put contents of infoboxes (e.g. information, contact us, reviews) into the footer, maybe some content like languagues, currencies and/or search into the header - and all others which are really necessary for the purchase process, into the left column

IMO, this is the key to good design. Too many stores have information scattered around the place - keep related items together, where possible and try to group in terms of function.

A few examples of live stores (though nobody's saying they're perfect):

http://www.technogroom.co.uk/catalog/

http://macupgrade.eu/catalog/

These are just to illustrate the point of grouping, particularly with scope for enhancements/extensions, for example to display with/without tax (a requirement in some EU countries). Note: it's only the index page that I'm focussed on here - not the underlying page structure etc. Also, the footer in both cases had to be manually 'tweaked' to achieve those layouts, with the displayed contents.

Edited by ejsolutions

Bear in mind also, that making a modular system does limit the shopowner in what they can do (until they know how to get past the standard functions and extend it themselves), or pay a developer to extend it. Does that matter ?

It's up to you guys to have a think about that, and provide feedback on your thoughts to this thread. In essense, Magento went this way (making things easy at first glance, but incredibly difficult when first glance becomes unwanted) - and that is what a lot of people hate about Magento....

Hi

Please keep it simple.

All this requires is a few simple links placed in the footer. Or create a new file called footer_links.php which can be included in the footer.

No need for complicating this by involving admin and extra database queries.

This could be made into an add-on if required.

Regards

Ken

I think for the long term well being of osCommerce, modular is the way to go. That would allow so many more newcomers to get right along with their shop goals more easily, thus attracting that audience which I believe is important for osCommerce future. If someone wants to delve into coding they can, or as mentioned hire a pro for specific work.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

Heres where I'm at, all controlled modularly. These are infoboxes which look different in the footer and normal if in the side columns. Thoughts ?

I am in desperate need of some payment icons (vias, mastercard, paypal) which must be GPL or MIT license and distributable. Anyone got any or know where to get some?

Heres where I'm at, all controlled modularly. These are infoboxes which look different in the footer and normal if in the side columns. Thoughts ?

I am in desperate need of some payment icons (vias, mastercard, paypal) which must be GPL or MIT license and distributable. Anyone got any or know where to get some?

I like it. I changed some classes on mine, so it now looks different in the footer than the side column.

The account box in yours is something I think is needed.

I was also thinking a simple text box, which the store owner control's by way of the modules language file. This makes it modular, yet also easily customizable without a lot of markup.

Follow the community build:

BS3 to osCommerce Responsive from the Get Go!

Check out the new construction:

Admin Gone to Total BS!

I particularly like how when going through the checkout process, the shipping address and method are displayed in one panel style, and the billing address and payment method in another.

The separation is good for taking in the info at a glance, and the different classes will make css customization a breeze.

Follow the community build:

BS3 to osCommerce Responsive from the Get Go!

Check out the new construction:

Admin Gone to Total BS!

I was also thinking a simple text box, which the store owner control's by way of the modules language file. This makes it modular, yet also easily customizable without a lot of markup.

bm_text.php coded and ready. Good idea @

Footer can now be seen live: http://www.template.me.uk/2334bs3/index.php

Remember that these footer components are controlled the same way as normal infoBoxes - you can sort them, you can remove them, you can add new ones. But with this ease brings limitations - you need to know how to code an infoBox so that it is available for you to include it into the Footer via the admin > modules > boxes page.

Edited by burt

Hi

I was rather loath to post here as I thinkthis may be a straight development thread.

Im wondering is there anyway a absoulute complete novice can be of any help. I realize that you guys can probably just about walk on water.

Cheers

Grandpa

You can use the set for all of your projects for free and without any restrictions. You can freely use it for both your private and commercial projects, including software, online services, templates and themes. The set may not be resold, sublicensed or rented.

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/10/21/free-png-credit-card-debit-card-and-payment-icons-set-18-icons/

Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike

http://www.mezzoblue.com/icons/chalkwork/payments/

Creative Commons license

http://urlm.co/blog/2009/12/02/20-free-payment-option-icons/

Royalty free for use in both personal and commercial projects.

http://www.pixeden.com/e-commerce-icons/payment-method-icons-set-vol-1

Free for use in both personal and commercial projects.

http://www.premiumpixels.com/freebies/mini-cards-15-creditdebit-card-icons/

Edited by toyicebear

Footer can now be seen live: http://www.template.me.uk/2334bs3/index.php

Remember that these footer components are controlled the same way as normal infoBoxes - you can sort them, you can remove them, you can add new ones. But with this ease brings limitations - you need to know how to code an infoBox so that it is available for you to include it into the Footer via the admin > modules > boxes page.

Looks nice... The information box reminds me that oscommerce should definitely have a way to make info pages in admin, with the option of including the page link in the box or not.

Edited by toyicebear

Hi

I was rather loath to post here as I thinkthis may be a straight development thread.

Im wondering is there anyway a absoulute complete novice can be of any help. I realize that you guys can probably just about walk on water.

Cheers

Grandpa

Indeed there is Grandpa - have a look at the two test sites;

Gary's at : http://wsfive.com/bs-master/

Mine at : http://www.template.me.uk/2334bs3/

They are running the same core code, with some subtle differences. Some things from Garys are scheduled to be included into mine. Vice versa. Report any bugs or inconsistencies to this thread. Or any ideas you might have if you have seen any sites you really like and want us to look at for inspiration.

The more people can become involved in this project, the better chance it has of being released on schedule...

Looks nice... The information box reminds me that oscommerce should definitely have a way to make info pages in admin, with the option of including the page link in the box or not.

Agreed. Could be the first addon ?

You can use the set for all of your projects

:thumbsup: I'll drag one out of that list. Thanks!

Hi

Several months ago when I was tossing up whether to update our site using Oscommerce or Zen Cart, I came very close to using this one with a few modifications and a general appearance tidy up. maybe it could help give further "inspiration. The one thing that I really disliked about his template was that the product boxes were always uneven, and to me could show a lack of proffesionlism(?) about the site.

Heres the link

http://zenlyzen.com/responsive/index.php

With your test site and Gary's is it Ok to create account etc.

Cheers

John

With your test site and Gary's is it Ok to create account etc.

Go ahead. Obviously choose a payment method such as "cash on delivery", not paypal!

I came very close to using this one http://zenlyzen.com/responsive/index.php

There's nothing responsive about that, as far as I can make out.

Hi Gary

Did you notice the change in layout when the browser window was dragged smaller, that was what I was calling "responsive"

Cheers

John