• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Responsive osCommerce - Bootstrap

When you created the subdomain, did you redirect it to the directory you created for it? Sometimes Cpanel creates that redirect automatically, so if you add one it gets done twice. Result: Endless redirects.

To find out, try using the directory under the main domain and installing there. That is, install in www.example.com/test and not test.example.com.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no, my hosting tech support said there are no redirects on that sub-domain, but I do need to try that cookie path change. I also noticed that v2.3.4.1 does not have a directive for the Header unset ETag. I'm not sure what the ETag is for but the htaccess file for the BS-Edge does have this directive. I am installing v2.3.4.1 now so I will try it with and without that htaccess mod.

Thank you so much for taking the time to install this on your own server to test this issue.

osCommerce: made for programmers, ...because store owners do not want to be programmers.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&geo=US&q=oscommerce

Jim,

Thank you for the reply. I will definitely try that as well, though hosting tech support says there are no redirects on that sub-domain.

..and I did not create a redirect in the C-Panel when I created that sub-domain. I've actually never used that redirect feature when creating a sub-domain.

osCommerce: made for programmers, ...because store owners do not want to be programmers.

ok, Finally! The Issue was resolved. I'll tell you,.. I still don't have an idea as to what was happening because I could not get the osC auto-installer to connect to the database in the first step of the installation. So, here is what I did to get this resolved.

My hosting company has an auto installer called, Softaculous Apps Installer. I used this to install osC v2.3.4.1 (because they don't have BS-Edge) on a sub-domain called "test." I did this because I wanted to know if I was going to experience the same problems and also because I wanted to pull both configuration files from it for review.

Meanwhile, I had my v2.3.4-BS-Edge installed on another sub-domain called "dev2" with that issue where the admin page was not redirecting properly and would not load.

After installing osC v2.3.4.1, I went to the site (test.mydomain.com/) and was greeted with the same osC auto-installation window. I entered the information in the first step of the install (database server, user name, password, database name) and again, the connection was stuck. So, I went and pulled both configuration files to see what was going on. To my surprise, Softaculous Apps Installer created a database, user-name, and password for this new install, while BS-Edge did not. I'm not sure if this is supposed to happen or not, but for the BS-Edge installation I created the database in the C-Panel before initiating the install.

So in those two configuration files, I changed the database information to the one I had already created for BS-Edge and changed the appropriate sub-domain name and then uploaded both configuration files to the dev2 (BS-Edge) installation. Now, everything seems to work properly.

In summary, I think if anyone else runs into a similar odd-ball issue with the auto-installer via database connectivity or cannot access the admin login page due to a redirect loop, it is a good idea to try and install the same or latest version of the software on another sub-domain. Then change the directory path in both configuration files and use those files in the original install.

I had a tough time finding how these configuration files should be set-up and most people would not need to see this information because the auto-installer automatically writes to these files.

A big thank you to everyone here for their help.

Demitry

@burt thank you for setting 2.3.4.1

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

I have, what I hope, is a simple problem.

I have uploaded my store logo and set it for 12, for full width.

However, it only extends half way across the screen.

Is there a way to correct this, or, failing that, at least center it on the screen?

I'm using 2.3.4 Gold BS-3

Thanks...

No Good Deed EVER Goes Unpunished

Hi,

After getting past the installation issues, I am trying to redesign the layout of the header (first) and having some problems with it. I found a great source of information regarding how the Bootstrap CSS grid is designed:

https://getbootstrap.com/docs/3.3/css/

However, I am having a tough time finding where all the sub-modules and elements are structured within the header. If I know this piece, then I can use CSS based on the grid to position them where I need them.

The /includes/template_top.php file requires the /includes/header.php file, which calls $oscTemplate->getContent('header');

I get that all the 5 header templates for the header are located via /includes/modules/content/header/templates/... However, where are all these header sub-modules / elements / templates,.. structured into the actual header? There has to be a file where these elements are all compiled to form the header. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4 hours ago, Demitry said:

Hi,

After getting past the installation issues, I am trying to redesign the layout of the header (first) and having some problems with it. I found a great source of information regarding how the Bootstrap CSS grid is designed:

https://getbootstrap.com/docs/3.3/css/

However, I am having a tough time finding where all the sub-modules and elements are structured within the header. If I know this piece, then I can use CSS based on the grid to position them where I need them.

The /includes/template_top.php file requires the /includes/header.php file, which calls $oscTemplate->getContent('header');

I get that all the 5 header templates for the header are located via /includes/modules/content/header/templates/... However, where are all these header sub-modules / elements / templates,.. structured into the actual header? There has to be a file where these elements are all compiled to form the header. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The template function you have quoted returns what has been added to it by the execute functions of each installed/enabled content header module according to sort order. What you get is basically a sequence of divs with the column widths that you have defined, which fill up the header section of the page one after the other. There isn't a structure, just a sequence.

Contact me for work on updating existing stores - whether to Phoenix or the new osC when it's released.

Looking for a payment or shipping module? Maybe I've already done it.

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

4 hours ago, Demitry said:

@BrockleyJohn

John,

so where do I alter this sequence?

by changing the sort order of the modules in admin / modules / content

Contact me for work on updating existing stores - whether to Phoenix or the new osC when it's released.

Looking for a payment or shipping module? Maybe I've already done it.

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

On 9/4/2017 at 1:18 AM, Druid6900 said:

I have, what I hope, is a simple problem.

I have uploaded my store logo and set it for 12, for full width.

However, it only extends half way across the screen.

Is there a way to correct this, or, failing that, at least center it on the screen?

I'm using 2.3.4 Gold BS-3

Thanks...

Is the image you are using for your logo the same width as the page?

osCommerce user since 2003! :thumbsup:

OK, so, basically, I have to double the size of the logo, since it only extends halfway across the screen at the moment.

That may be easier than trying to figure out how to center the current one.

No Good Deed EVER Goes Unpunished

@BrockleyJohn

John, thank you ...that helps a little bit, though there is still the issue of how to insert an element in between other elements.

@Druid6900

Unless someone has a better solution, here is a simple CSS hack that will work, though you have to test it on mobile as well.

In the user.css file add the following line:

.storeLogo { top:0; left:50%; margin-left:-100px }

Then change the margin-left value to whatever the width of your logo is divided by half. I used the width of the osCommerce logo, which is 200px, and divided by half is 100px.

Though I have to add that centering your logo is not a good idea for page layout because it leaves a lot of empty white space to the left & right of the logo. And everything above-the-fold is valuable page real estate.

6 hours ago, Demitry said:

@BrockleyJohn

John, thank you ...that helps a little bit, though there is still the issue of how to insert an element in between other elements.

This is precisely what the sort order achieves...  

Module A = sort order 100, column width 4

Module B = sort order 150, column width 4

Module C = sort order 200, column width 4

Let us say that you want to add in another module in between B and C:

Module A = sort order 100, column width 4

Module B = sort order 150, column width 4

NEW Module = sort order 175, column width 4

Module C = sort order 200, column width 4

Now Module C drops to start a new Row.  

This is unwanted, what you want is to have these 4 modules all in one row:

Change column width of all 4 modules

Module A = sort order 100, column width 3

Module B = sort order 150, column width 3

NEW Module = sort order 175, column width 3

Module C = sort order 200, column width 3

But now you change your mind and want the NEW module BEFORE Module A

Change the sort order of the new module

NEW Module = sort order 75, column width 3

Module A = sort order 100, column width 3

Module B = sort order 150, column width 3

Module C = sort order 200, column width 3

It's so very simple...on the face of it.

@burt

Hi Burt,

Thank you for that explanation and it certainly make it easier, however, I seem to be missing one piece here. This is likely a dumb question,.. but ordering the sort-order of these loaded elements is performed in the admin section, so how do you add a new module to that?

I was thinking of possibly adding a couple of new elements and the only way to do that without having it managed as a module in the admin area, is to code it into one of the existing module templates.

Because BS-Edge strives to be a modular design where developers can add their own modules as contributions, is there any documentation on requirements/guidelines for structuring new modules that would abide by the osC design and code integrity?

You would make a module.  You would then install it.

If you are a developer...this should be straightforward.

If you are not a developer...it won't be.

From the very start I advised that making things simple in the admin area would make things much harder to code.  
Shop-owners are not expected to code anything, so why are you doing that?  You just need to click click...

Anyone have a clean brand new version of responsive they could quickly test for a bug?

From the admin just try and upload/save a NEW logo.... brow

When I do so I'm being returned to: admin/FILENAME_STORE_LOGO?action=save

obviously not a good URL since filename has been removed.

Looking at the code in admin/store_logo.php I do see a reference to filename

if ($store_logo->parse()) {
          if ($store_logo->save()) {
            $messageStack->add_session(SUCCESS_LOGO_UPDATED, 'success');
            tep_db_query("update configuration set configuration_value = '" . tep_db_input($store_logo->filename) . "' where configuration_value = '" . STORE_LOGO . "'");
          } else {
            $error = true;
          }
        } else {
          $error = true;
        }

I don't see that in my copy. Maybe something you have added has introduced it. In that case, the easiest solution is to install the Compatibility Addon. Install it in the Admin as well as the Catalog side.

Regards

Jim

42 minutes ago, kymation said:

I don't see that in my copy. Maybe something you have added has introduced it. In that case, the easiest solution is to install the Compatibility Addon. Install it in the Admin as well as the Catalog side.

Regards

Jim

the code is copied off github

https://github.com/gburton/Responsive-osCommerce/blob/master/admin/store_logo.php

Or do you mean you don't experience the problem in your fresh copy?

I don't see FILENAME_STORE_LOGO anywhere in my copy or in the code for store_logo.php on Github. The redirect link in that file is:

tep_redirect(tep_href_link('store_logo.php'));

which has the filename spelled out, not the older constant value. So either you've changed something or something really odd is happening. Maybe your server is haunted with the spirit of v1.3.4?

Regards

Jim

• burt locked this topic
  • burt unlocked and locked this topic

Archived