• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Responsive osCommerce - Bootstrap

Just a heads up regarding the review date - when I had a date on my reviews, the date appeared next to the description in the search results which resulted in less click throughs (so bad for SEO). At that stage I didn't even have rich snippet markup on the reviews, they just had the date next to them. Having an old date appear in Google made the site seem stale.

Dates are not necessary from a rich snippet point of view, search engines don't care, so it can safely be removed.

osCommerce user since 2003! :thumbsup:

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To get to "gold" quicker, I'm thinking to close these two issues, and reopen at a later date (when the index page is made modular would be a good time)

https://github.com/gburton/osCommerce-234-bootstrap/milestones/Templatise

Does anyone have any input on this course of action ?  

Favor as long as it's not forgotten.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

/includes/modules/content/footer/templates/links.php

</ul>

missed that along the way all good just posting in case someone else missed

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

To get to "gold" quicker, I'm thinking to close these two issues, and reopen at a later date (when the index page is made modular would be a good time)

https://github.com/gburton/osCommerce-234-bootstrap/milestones/Templatise

Does anyone have any input on this course of action ?  

Makes sense to me @@burt.  No point in dragging the release out.

@@burt

Yesterdays proposal pushed for you to view.

As for closing the 2 above issues, that should be fine untill further modularization happens, though they are probably 2 of the most editied parts of the site and adding them to template files would defienetly be the way to go.

Follow the community build:

BS3 to osCommerce Responsive from the Get Go!

Check out the new construction:

Admin Gone to Total BS!

You know, in admin we have the define_language tool, works well for those who may not have external editing tools. I was wondering if such a beast could be made for editing template files! Ive viewed over things but cant get my head around how to pick only the template files in each content directory.

Just thinking out loud.

Follow the community build:

BS3 to osCommerce Responsive from the Get Go!

Check out the new construction:

Admin Gone to Total BS!

Perhaps I can push for modular index page in 2.3.5(normal), so we can reflect it in 2.3.5(responsive) - that would be the way forward I think.

I have not thought deeply on making it easy for shopowners to change the look of their site in the admin area, I dont want to stray too far from 2.3.x(normal) in the admin area.  I know that @@wHiTeHaT was looking at it though.

For the other proposal, have a look at the thread I made for it...let me know your thoughts in that thread.. 

Pretty Messages is now done.  2 more milestones until GOLD.

1.  Pretty Login Modules

2.  Pretty Checkout Success Modules

@@burt

with regards to a pretty login page

I put this together at the weekend. I created a new template module as well (w00t)

Milestones are now complete, there will be no more core code changes.

Future changes:

1.  Bugfixes in our implementation of Bootstrap

2.  Updates to external libraries (eg if Bootstrap release a new version)

3.  Mirroring the path of the 2.3 series.

If you believe you have found a bug in our implementation of Bootstrap please post in this new thread.

THANKS

• Thank you to all Testers - you've done a great job.
  • Thank you to all Contributors - these are the guys you should approach if you need modules created, or site designs or anything else that you cannot manage yourself.
GOLD RELEASE DOWNLOAD

@@PupStar

Is the menu on the far right populated dynamically?

Very interested in that downloads button...

no ray the menu is not populated dynamically. The download by button only links to downloads.php, Its only in as I will be looking at downloads for a future project.

This is how the template file is made up

<div class="col-sm-<?php echo $content_width; ?>">
   <div class="list-group">
    <a class="list-group-item" href="<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_PASSWORD_FORGOTTEN, '', 'SSL'); ?>"><i class="fa fa-question-circle"></i>  <?php echo LOGIN_FORGOTTEN_PASSWORD; ?></a>
   </div>
</div>

I understand it is planned to follow on with paralel versions of standard and bootstrapped oscommerce for a while. So there will be 2.3.5 standard and 2.3.5 bs, 2.4 standard and 2.4 bs and so on. Will these be unified at some point? In my opinion once most work is done and working well on the front side it would be easier for all to have only one version for 2.3.5, don't you think?

I follow this thread and try new code as often as I can do it. I can see a fast development on bs side, but I am unable to find out what's happening to standard version. Is there some place where I can see standard 2.3.5 and 2.4 code and modifications being done like in this post and his github repo?

Also in this thread there were people converting admin side to bootstrap. Will these works be translated to 2.3.5 soon?

@@piernas

No admin changes have been made.

Admin options have been added, but the admin is later on the roadmap, from my understanding.

The standard osCommerce development can be seen here: https://github.com/osCommerce/oscommerce2

I don't think they will be unified, but as long as there is help, production of Bootstrap edition will continue alongside the standard edition.

It would be easier, but not for upgrades. Upgrading a 2.3.4 standard to 2.5 Bootstrap will be no easy task.

I think I'm right, but Burt will chime in if I'm not

@@burt I understand, thank you. I see enormous and fast activity here with bootstrap but few on the main project, so I was just wondering why didn't you unify both so bootstrap version is not limited in many ways from the main release.

@@newburns I had looked at that repository but I got confused by these branches. 2.4 branch has not been updated since two years ago, and master branch has not much activity over the past few months. Is the master branch current 2.3.5 beta? Is 2.3.5 and 2.4 development frozen at this time or am I missing something?

@@burt I understand, thank you. I see enormous and fast activity here with bootstrap but few on the main project.

I think a large part of this it due to the excellent effort @@burt puts forward at getting and keeping the community involved. At this point I think we're just scratching the surface of what can be accomplished as the community gets more and more involved.  IMO we owe a huge thumbs up to Gary. :thumbsup:

• burt locked this topic
  • burt unlocked and locked this topic

Archived