best_sellers <-- Very useful

categories <-- Extremely Useful

currencies <-- Needs separate function for plug and play use elsewhere

information <-- Extremely Useful

languages <-- Needs separate function for plug and play use elsewhere

manufacturer_info <-- Needs separate function for plug and play use elsewhere

manufacturers <-- Very useful

order_history <-- Very useful

product_notifications <-- Needs separate function for plug and play use elsewhere

product_social_bookmarks <-- Needs separate function for plug and play use elsewhere

reviews <-- Very useful

search <-- Needs separate function for plug and play use elsewhere

shopping_cart <-- Needs separate function for plug and play use elsewhere

specials <-- Very useful

whats_new <-- Very useful

################################

customer_greeting - - - needs a different position, like the header

With that said I feel everything is already there in a box should just remain to appease those who want to use them. But the items I marked as plug and play functions, most can be fir into the header, or even footer, as you do find on a lot of sites. By plug in play im not really thinking of coding osc_template functions all over the header and footer, just writing a function and placing it where you want it to show.

If anyone looks on my testing site I placed earlier, you can see a bit more what I'm talking about, though its generally become a scratchpad of ideas now and may or may not be broken when you visit it.

Follow the community build:

BS3 to osCommerce Responsive from the Get Go!

Check out the new construction:

Admin Gone to Total BS!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hummm....I was thinking :wacko: that for XS screens where there were info boxes in either column, those boxes or rather links to where those boxes point would be added to a menu/nav bar....let the shop owner decide which boxes are used on their site. Shop owners could add or subtract boxes, like they do now and for XS screens the links to those info boxes would show on a menu/nav bar instead of displaying the info boxes themselves. To me that would keep the XS screen clean, allow access to the information via the menu/nav bar for users wishing to get to it and give some flexibility to shop owners to include the information they want and is relevant to their shops.

I don't know enough about bootstrap to know if that is possible or not but, if so, could we not move in that direction rather than debate which boxes are useful or not and where they should appear?

Hummm....I was thinking :wacko: that for XS screens where there were info boxes in either column, those boxes or rather links to where those boxes point would be added to a menu/nav bar....let the shop owner decide which boxes are used on their site. Shop owners could add or subtract boxes, like they do now and for XS screens the links to those info boxes would show on a menu/nav bar instead of displaying the info boxes themselves. To me that would keep the XS screen clean, allow access to the information via the menu/nav bar for users wishing to get to it and give some flexibility to shop owners to include the information they want and is relevant to their shops.

I don't know enough about bootstrap to know if that is possible or not but, if so, could we not move in that direction rather than debate which boxes are useful or not and where they should appear?

Exactly my idea, eloquently said, but afraid implementing this will be less straightforward

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

Now you guys continue on that theme...

1) best_sellers – Maybe best sellers should have a page of their own (like specials) then there could be a link to this page in the Navbar.

2) categories - Move to Navbar in phone view

3) currencies - http://html5demos.com/geo

4) information – A Dropdown in Navbar to reveal Shipping etc.

5) languages - http://html5demos.com/geo

6) manufacturer_info – Move to product info

7) manufacturers - Move to Navbar in phone view

8) order_history – can be seen in account info and not really required on index page

9) product_notifications - Move to product info

10) social_bookmarks - Move to product info

11) reviews - Move to Navbar in phone view

12) search - Move to Navbar and keep in header in default

13) shopping_cart - Move to Navbar and keep in header in default

14) specials - Move to Navbar in phone view

15) whats_new - Move to Navbar in phone view

16) & 17) Login/Off - Move to Navbar in phone view

Regards

Ken

1) best_sellers – Maybe best sellers should have a page of their own (like specials) then there could be a link to this page in the Navbar.

2) categories - Move to Navbar in phone view

3) currencies - http://html5demos.com/geo

4) information – A Dropdown in Navbar to reveal Shipping etc.

5) languages - http://html5demos.com/geo

6) manufacturer_info – Move to product info

7) manufacturers - Move to Navbar in phone view

8) order_history – can be seen in account info and not really required on index page

9) product_notifications - Move to product info

10) social_bookmarks - Move to product info

11) reviews - Move to Navbar in phone view

12) search - Move to Navbar and keep in header in default

13) shopping_cart - Move to Navbar and keep in header in default

14) specials - Move to Navbar in phone view

15) whats_new - Move to Navbar in phone view

16) & 17) Login/Off - Move to Navbar in phone view

Regards

Ken

Now, I could live with that too, except for the reviews - I don't think they merit a navbar slot, they should just be linked to on the product info page

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

I understood from Dan Cole that he meant somekind of admin interface for the shop owner, evidently, show-hide based on css is always possible, but it does mean that the php code and db query for the desktop infobox (eg specials) is executed, even if there is no special product shown ...

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

PS: using geo-location for currencies or languages is totally the wrong way.

So you decide when i am in another country, what language i should read your site? or what currency to use?

I agree. I can say for certain that geo-locates will not be provided in the core.

I'm currently working in the reviews area of the shop.

Proposal #1

- give option to show mini reviews (maybe the first 20 words or so) of say 4 or 5 reviews in the product page,ordered by reviews rating descending (in other words, best reviews show in the product page).

Proposal #2

- show full reviews in the products_reviews page eg here: http://demo.oscommerce.com/product_reviews.php?products_id=19 - at the moment this page has cut down reviews and each review leads to an individual review page

Proposal #3

- Nuke the individual review page eg http://demo.oscommerce.com/product_reviews_info.php?products_id=19&reviews_id=1

Not needed now that the full reviews show as per proposal #2

Any of that a bad idea? If so, why ?

Would end up looking like:

Hi.

My vote goes to Option 1. Too many words from reviews could start to affect the products SEO.

Also, it would be easier to alter option 1 into option 2 if any store owner wished to do so.

Regards

Ken

@@burt

Looks good....the only thing that looked strange is "stars" that appears on the overall review page. This is a direct view from the link you posted...I haven't looked at it on a XS screen yet...

@@burt

The ideal situation is very complicated to code up as @bruyndoncx alluded to at http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/396152-bootstrap-3-in-2334-responsive-from-the-get-go/page__st__180#entry1693750

It might be that what's provided is fairly simple, and can then be extended by way of "add on".

Where did we leave this? Looking at the responsive utilities information that @@wHiTeHaT pointed out this does look like a fairly simple matter and I think really needed if we are truly going to have a responsive site from the get go.

@@burt I had a look at the products review page both on my laptop and using the FireFox utility and I wonder if the "average rating bar" should be placed either before or after the product information....it looks pretty good where you have it now when you view it on a large screen but when you go to the small screen it shows up in the middle of the product information as you'll see in the attached...

I was playing around with the bootstrap collapse classes, following along with navbar-collapse. I redid them and and applied to an infoBox and it works out very well with no change in any javascript functions.

So if you go into a smaller viewport the infoBox will collapse, just like a nave menu, leaving the button to open it the infoBox Content beneath.

This may be a good way of saving room while still letting the user pick which content they want to see. I think it is better than applying a hidden class because the content still has to load even if hidden and this at least will let one see what loaded, while saving space.

Admin Gone to Total BS!

yes, but the site is being worked on, so depending when you look it could be errored out, same place as before: http://wsfive.com/bs-master/

It has been applied to the categories box so far.

Admin Gone to Total BS!

@@burt

So this is doing away with the product_reviews_info page? That is really not needed anyhow.

I like how it is looking, but would recommend just stacking the reviews as a list, and add an anchor text using the review ID. Then when viewing just a specific review from the main reviews page, (if applicable) the product_info page, the anchor id can be appended to the url so it lands on the proper review.

I think pagination could become a problem unless a function were wrote that figures the exact page based on the number of reviews for that product divided by the page results setting?

Admin Gone to Total BS!

@@burt

So this is doing away with the product_reviews_info page? That is really not needed anyhow.

Nuked.

I like how it is looking, but would recommend just stacking the reviews as a list, and add an anchor text using the review ID. Then when viewing just a specific review from the main reviews page, (if applicable) the product_info page, the anchor id can be appended to the url so it lands on the proper review.

Specific reviews are now unavailable. Can only see a page full of reviews, a bit like how Amazon does it, eg: http://www.template.me.uk/2334bs3/product_reviews.php?products_id=19

I think pagination could become a problem unless a function were wrote that figures the exact page based on the number of reviews for that product divided by the page results setting?

Pagination should not be a problem...if it becomes an issue we'll look at it.

I was in two minds whether to dump the reviews entirely and make it into an addon.

Hi Burt

The last commits at Github.

There is no size given to the images in reviews.php

SMALL_IMAGE_WIDTH, SMALL_IMAGE_HEIGHT needs adding back.

Regards

Ken

@@burt

I like what you guys are doing :thumbsup:

I also like the categories collapsed in XS view as shown by @WebSource5

I was thinking since you have a reviews page, it would be nice (addon) to have a reviews content module to show on categories pages - not truely a responsive issue, but just a related mental note ...

On our site just showing all reviews is not as usefull as being able to show best reviewed products on a category basis

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

@@burt

I like what you guys are doing :thumbsup:

I also like the categories collapsed in XS view as shown by @WebSource5

I was thinking since you have a reviews page, it would be nice (addon) to have a reviews content module to show on categories pages - not truely a responsive issue, but just a related mental note ...

On our site just showing all reviews is not as usefull as being able to show best reviewed products on a category basis

Maybe this can be extended as an addon - pump the category_id into the reviews page to show only those products from the given category. It's a good idea, put it on your to-do list for after release of the core product.

Hi

OK I was wrong. The images should be responsive, However the attached file shows what I am seeing. The images are displayed at 600x600

Regards

Ken

Reviews_Capture3_zps1a07ae9a.jpg

• burt locked this topic
  • burt unlocked and locked this topic

Archived