• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Important USPS API Updates Releasing January 27

USPSWT

January 27th USPS Web Tools Update: USPS Web Tools will be implementing changes and additional features to the U.S. Postal Service APIs listed below effective January 27th, 2014 with testing available January 13th.

Detailed release notes are available on the USPS Web Tools Developer Page here: http://j.mp/18dTBs1.

Please follow @USPSWebTools on Twitter for Web Tools Updates.

@@USPSWT Thanks for the notice. I was just going to post the email that you sent out.

Not that much of a change this time. A new class “Priority Mail Express 1030 AM Delivery” to compete with UPS/FedEx Next Day Early AM delivery, and some restrictions on Standard Post.

This one probably won't break all of the existing modules. Probably. I still need to finish that new module code. Back to work....

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

Yes - despite your assessment right now, I am worried every time one of these updates come out. They ALWAYS break something.

P.S. I got the e-mail notice from USPS, too - at 5:08 PM EST. :(

Edited by TomB01

my client had some panic today -- whatever version of USPS we're using broke -- after some investigation, i noticed that the $server being used was set to 'stg-production.shippingapis.com' instead of 'production.shippingapis.com'...

changing it back to the non-"stg-" server fixed the problem, but I have a feeling the problem will be back again on 27 January.

Would this be causing an issue with the checkout_shipping.php page returning an error?

(update) *sigh* NEver mind. Turns out the ISP ended up rebuilding their web servers... and subsequently upgraded their PHP installation. *grumble grumble* Now to go through and "fix" everything they broke.

Judith

Edited by Judith.Precision

I apologize in advance because I don't exactly know what add-ons I have. :)

After the recent USPS changes, retrieving USPS rates and having them displayed and calculated during the checkout process is not a issue. Everything appears to function properly for that aspect. Thankfully.

However, what is an issue after the recent USPS changes is the USPS shipping label function in the admin no longer works. The shipping address information is no longer imported/populated into the USPS site to create a label (https://cns.usps.com/go/Secure/LabelInformationAction!input.action).

Sometime back, as a result of a previous USPS change, admin modifications where made to a file called usps_ship_label_fix.php, which is the utility used to import the shipping address info into USPS.com in order to create the label.

Has anyone else experienced problems with creating USPS shipping labels as a result of the 1-26 USPS changes?

• 2 weeks later...

USPS now has the February (!!!) change document available from their website. This is supposed to just add a delivery option for express, so it should not affect any existing modules. Should not. I guess we'll find out the end of this month.

Regards

Jim

• 1 year later...

And the wonderful USPS has decided to change things yet again. During the Christmas season. Well, just after it anyway -- the deadline is (again) January 17, 2016. You can get the change documentation here.

The major change seems to be that they are changing the name of Parcel Post Standard Post to Retail Ground. Apparently they really hate this service class. Not to mention their customers.

Regards

Jim

• 1 month later...

I've updated the development version of the module that is designed to replace these older USPS modules. The new code is designed to be less vulnerable to the constant USPS changes. For example, changing the name of a service will not break the code as it does now.

I could use some help testing. If you have a development site (and you should) please install the new module and report back on bugs. The development thread is here.

Regards

Jim