• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Upgrade to 2.3.4 from older releases with migration upgrade

nobusiness

Hi all,

I'm a systems engineer and DBA and I am looking for the simplest approach for upgrading our store front to the latest version of osCommerce.

If I look at the version of some of my file, they go back to version 1.0 through 1.65 for the few that I checked The store was installed by NewAgeWholesalers but they do not provide an upgrade path to v2.3.4 or any for that matter. So, I'm tasked with doing this so that I can move our store that has been online since 2007. Yes, I've taken a few patches and modules over the years to enhance our store and to frankly get our store to where it needed to be.

What I have done and would like to get done: I've installed the latest 2.3.4 to my host server in a new folder and want to change my domain pointers to it once the upgrade is complete. This was installed using Simple Scripts via my hosting company so that now, future upgrades will be much simpler. From what I've read in various articles and posts is that the simplest way to upgrade is to keep my existing database in tact, install the latest PHP files (done) and then upgrade the database tables with the latest changes to support whatever schema changes are required for v2.3.4 to work properly and then change the pointers of the v2.3.4 install to point to the upgraded database. So it's like a 3 step process but I have not found anything that provides the explicit details for step 2 (sql updates to the database) and step 3, where to make the changes to redirect to the upgraded database from the newly installed one.

I'm looking or a SQL file that will take care of the alters, drops, creates needed for the MySQL Database and the PHP files needing updating to point to the other database. MySQL Version is: 5.5.32, PHP Version is: 5.2 although 5.3 is available if required.

I do not care about the add-ons, as I can always re-install them. I am using PayPal for my payment processing, so would prefer to not break that if possible.

Can someone provide the detail I'm looking for so I can get my store updated quickly? Thanks!!

Steve

@@HedgewitchCrafts

Step 2, varies diversely depending on modifications made to your original store. Data imports are USUALLY quite complex and require a great deal of SQL knowledge. I suggest ensuring that all of your tables are the same, or you're prepared to add/delete/alter tables to the new database to allow the import of your data from your existing database. THIS IS NOT GOING TO BE A QUICK PROCESS.

Also, just to clarify, future updates will NOT be any quicker just because your used Simple Scripts to install v2.3.3.4

Chris

Hi Chris, thanks for your reply. If the schema has changed to allow for additional columns to support the updates, then those features would no longer work which is fine since the newly installed version wouldn't know about it unless it was included by default (which is probable). The only features I've added are shipping modules and reporting, so I'm not sure there would be anything significant that I should worry about here.

If we cannot easily (or reasonably so) provide upgrade options to earlier versions, then we as developers have failed to make osCommerce a leading provider. New installs are great, but what I find very annoying is that we do not make it simple for customers to upgrade. This is after all a greater user community that more focus IMO should be made even if this is open source. Planning for upgrading customers is something we should take into consideration for any new contribution being made so that we maintain a stable and consistent environment on the back end (DB). If columns are not present, don't display the data. It is pretty easy to do this if of course we all keep this in mind. :-)

oh and I am not planning on importing data from my existing schema to the new. I made that clear in my post that I want the new PHP files to point to my current schema, not the new schema that was installed with the test data.

@@HedgewitchCrafts....see this addon...

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8731

It might help. It lists and summarizes all the SQL changes from version 2.2MS2 to 2.3.3 including some SQL statements that were missing in the official upgrade instructions.

@@HedgewitchCrafts I used the addon @@Dan Cole mentioned. Keep in mind it has only been updated to 2.3.3. There are a few DB changes from 2.3.3 to 2.3.3.4, however, there is a tool built into the core to make these changes(UTF-8). Assuming you are at 2.2ms2 or above, and you are doing this on a separate (test) directory (don't forget to back up.... OFTEN), it is really a quick and easy update to the database (took me total 35 mins to run the scripts and change the config files when I upgraded). ALL the work/time/effort, for me (and from what I read of others) is getting the addons you currently have install on your live store - installed in the new 2.3.3.4.

There was one more script I used to add all my images to the new image table;

INSERT INTO products_images 
SELECT "",p.products_id as products_id, p.products_image as image, pd.products_name,"" 
FROM products as p, products_description as pd 
WHERE pd.products_id=p.products_id

Go though the other threads in this forum of others who upgraded (there are many) - here was my thread as an example http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/392970-almost-done-my-upgrade-from-22-to-23/

Tools | Server Info provides me with:

osCommerce 2.2-MSPHP Version 5.2.17

Linux boscustweb 1601.eigbox.net 3.2.44 #1 SMP Tue May 14 15:31:28 EDT 2013 x86_64

Build Date Mar 4 2011 17:05:45

MySQL: 5.0.51a

Are there other inserts required as part of the upgrade to 2.3.3 or 2.3.4 ? I ran the insert to get the images into that table and it appeared to work fine. However, after making the change to the /includes/configure.php I only see about 6 products showing. I have no left panel with the categories and all my customers, products and categories are not showing up. Seems like there may be other files that need updating to point the new install to the old upgraded database?

Tools | Server Info provides me with:

osCommerce 2.2-MSPHP Version 5.2.17

WOW ! Start from scratch from the latest release. That's what I would do.

Chris

oh and I am not planning on importing data from my existing schema to the new. I made that clear in my post that I want the new PHP files to point to my current schema, not the new schema that was installed with the test data.

For someone who may not be so experienced it is easier to import the old 2.2-MS data into a new 2.3.3.4 database

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

Did u run all the scripts in the addon Dan mentioned?

@@HedgewitchCrafts....see this addon...

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8731

It might help. It lists and summarizes all the SQL changes from version 2.2MS2 to 2.3.3 including some SQL statements that were missing in the official upgrade instructions.

Yes, I ran all the scripts in the add-ons, but what no one is mentioning is the changes required for the new store to pick up the old store.

I'll recap here again what is being done. I have an existing store here /public_html and installed the 2.3.4 osCommerce at /public_html/hwc2014. I have updated the /hwc2014/includes/configure.php and /hwc2014/admin/includes/configure.php files to point to the current database.

I also copied over all my custom (images/, html, css, js) files to the new folder from pubic_html/. I noticed hat /hwc2014/includes/boxes was missing so I copied that as well and updated the configure.php to define boxes.

The result is that all I see is the center portion showing (New Products for December) listing 9 products and their images. I don't see the left or right side boxes. So I am looking to see what the php file changes are to get the store converted to the newer version.

@@HedgewitchCrafts There are no more changes to make?

Simplified; Install 2.3.3.4 (done?). Upgrade your 2.2ms2 database with the scripts/addon (done?). Point the configure files for new install of 2.3.3.4 to the new/upgraded database (done?).

Your 2.3.3.4 store should now be up and running. Please anyone chime in if I'm missing something...

If your store is not up and running properly (as it sounds like it is not) it could be a number of reasons. If I were to guess;

1)you have installed addons in your 2.2ms2 store that have been added to your database that have not yet been installed in your 2.3.3.4 store (as I mentioned above this is the largest and most time consuming part in upgrading)

2)you've made a mistake installing 2.3.3.4 - A couple are below...

2.3.3.4 doesn't have includes/boxes directory. This has significantly changed since 2.2 - I believe these are now modules. You can find the files at includes/modules/boxes (don't bother trying to move your files over... whatever changes you made in your 2.2 store will have to be redone).

Moving your 2.2ms2 css and js files - if the 2.2 css files over wrote the 2.3.3.4 file this won't help....

Again, I have overly simplifies this procedure and hopefully someone with more experience can jump in... However, my guess is you have installed addons/modifications to your 2.2 stores database that have not yet been installed/replicated in your 2.3.3.4 store and you have made several assumptions in moving over 2.2 files that are not compatible with 2.3.x.x. Although 2.2 and 2.3.x.x are very similar - most of the files have changes to make it impossible to move things back and forth like it sound like you have.

@@greasemonkey - it seems that your steps made a significant difference in my upgrade attempts. While everyone was mentioning "modules", I did not connect that to the admin dashboard to install the modules. I did that and got my left side boxes showing, I've updated the PHP files to match what I want in my new site and now the user side appears to be working including the NC tax and shipping modules. WOO HOO!!

Now, I wanted to find out why I get a pop up message for clicking on an image of a product while in the store but I can only click on the X to close it. It's like the zoom of the image isn't working right. So I go to the admin dashboard and click on Categories and try to view my products. Unfortunately, all I get is SQL errors showing on the first and any other page. I tried to copy from the site, but it turns to read only so I went into view source to get the error and don't see to be able to paste here either. It is 1054 - Unknown column p.products_msrp' in 'field list' select p.products_id,d.products_name,p.product_quantity, etc.

Any ideas why this is not working when everything else seems to be?

@@HedgewitchCrafts for the second problem in admin/categories.php your clue is here

p.products_msrp'

It looks like you may have an addon in your 2.2, now upgraded, database that has not yet been installed in the files for your 2.3.3.4 store for "msrp" (manufactures suggested retail price).

For the first problem... sorry... I don't know... If I were to guess - I'd say it has something to do with you moving your js and css files around/between the new and old stores.... and you haven't completely "un-done" this.

Yes, you are correct. It was one of the new shipping modules that overwrote the categories.php file. Replacing it with the original got rid of that sql error. What I am now having issues with is the viewing of the larger image for a product. In the admin dashboard, the product edit screen in categories.php shows the same named image file for the main image and the large image. However, the large image never gets displayed. Instead, I see the product name and an X to close that modal window. I tried renaming the file and re-attaching it and no luck. Anyone know what might be causing this? Thanks!

• 7 months later...

WOW ! Start from scratch from the latest release. That's what I would do.

Chris

I second that.

Use Easy Populate to pull out all of your products from the old shop.

Use Filezilla to pull out all of your images from the old shop.

Use Easy Populate to re-upload

Use Filezilla to re-upload

I dont know what you would do about your order history and customers. Maybe keep the old site up and running on a different domain so you still have access.

My two cents.

Archived