• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Modding-Up a new 2.3.3.4 Install - Documented

Mort-lemur

Ajax Attribute Manager Installed.

Link: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/7888

Appears to work as it should. This is an excellent way to manage a products attributes direct from the product entry admin page.

Easy install - 3 files to edit and a ned directory to upload.

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ajax Attribute manager gives a shed load of errors in the error log when running on php 5.4.21 (maybe others as well)

The solution is solved by the code changes on page 64 of this post : http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/195959-ajax-attribute-manager-support/page__st__1260 by mommaroodles on 23 september 2013

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

Products monitor installed without problem - easy install

Link: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8341

Another useful modification added to admin: Products Sold per Month / Year - This lets you see what months are most popular for sales of a given product - great if you are trying to plan stocks ahead for seasonal items.

Link: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/4040

Easy Install - Just remember to alter the install instructions for admin/includes/boxes/reports.php to match the convention of OSC 2.3.x stores

Works as it should with no depreciated functions.

Backup time

Whoops! as this is a 2.2 mod it does not call up the template_top.php file etc so messes up the page format - I will amend and place changes required below.

OK - to sort out the page formatting in the Products per Month Mod above carry out the following changes:

in admin/stats_products_per_month.php

find

require('includes/application_top.php');

Change to :

require('includes/application_top.php');
require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'template_top.php');

Find:

<?php require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'application_bottom.php'); ?>

change to:

<?php   require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'template_bottom.php');
require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'application_bottom.php'); ?>

Next remove the code between the comments "Left Navigation"

Next remove the code between the comments "header"

Next remove the code between the comments "footer"

Now it displays as it should.

Next Mod Installed - Easy Populate

Link: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/7725

Easy install, however, to maintain the format for the code in admin/includes/boxes/catalog.php I changed the code from that in the install instructions to:

array(
    'code' => FILENAME_EASY_POPULATE,
    'title' => BOX_CATALOG_EASY_POPULATE,
    'link' => tep_href_link(FILENAME_EASY_POPULATE)

Then at the bottom of admin/includes/filenames.php before the ?> add:

define('FILENAME_EASY_POPULATE', 'easypopulate.php');

finally in admin/includes/languages/english.php with the other BOX_CATALOG defines, add:

define('BOX_CATALOG_EASY_POPULATE', 'Easy Populate');

Installed Information Pages Unlimited

Link: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/1026

Install was another easy one - But ignore step 6d of the install instructions - Also, as I have installed CKEditor and turned it off for most boxes I want the info box to be able to use this feature so in admin/information_form.php simply find the following at around line 97:

<td class="main" width="100%"><?php echo tep_draw_textarea_field('information_description[' . $languages[$i]['id'] . ']', '', '100', '20', (($languages[$i]['id'] == $languages_id) ? stripslashes($edit[information_description]) : tep_get_information_entry($information_id, $languages[$i]['id'], 'information_description'))); ?></td>

and replace it with this:

<td class="main" width="100%"><?php echo tep_draw_textarea_field('information_description[' . $languages[$i]['id'] . ']', '', '100', '20', (($languages[$i]['id'] == $languages_id) ? stripslashes($edit[information_description]) : tep_get_information_entry($information_id, $languages[$i]['id'], 'information_description')), 'class="ckeditor"'); ?></td>

Now you can add your info pages in html formatting if you so choose.

Come across another depreciated bit of code:

in admin/order_editor/functions.php

change around line 243

$keyword = ereg_replace("(,)|('s)", "", $keyword);

to read

$keyword = preg_replace("/(,)|('s)/", "", $keyword);

This is one of the best threads for a very long time.

I hope that other shopowners who come along once in a while will realise just how much effort Heather is putting into her build, and the effort in this thread and thank her for it.

Thanks Heather.

Time for another backup.....

Then to tackle URL re-writing, I have decided to use SEO URLs (Chemo). I made my decision based on the following:

• It is a well tried and tested method of URL re-writing
  • When I migrate my database the urls will hopefully be the same as existing - which will ensure links in google remain
  • I could not get USU 5 Pro by FWR Media to fit in my install - it killed the site and the thread is not supported
  • SEO URLs (Chemo) is very well supported by Jack-Mcs

So decision made - now to install..............

Thanks Heather.

No thanks needed - I have drawn on this community support for many years now - so its my way of giving something back........and a way of reminding myself what I have done.....

Installed Ultimate SEO URLs (Chemo) without any issues.

Link: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/2823 I used the version 2-2.2d-11 by Jack-MCS

Error logs still clear....

Another Backup....

Thank you Heather for all the info you are posting.

Good luck with your site editing... keeping my fingers crossed all goes well for you and nothing breaks. :thumbsup:

- :: Jim :: -

- My Toolbox ~ Adobe Web Bundle, XAMPP & WinMerge | Install ~ osC v2.3.3.4 -

Spent all morning installing Recover Cart sales - as I use this a lot and it generates a lot of sales.

Link: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8333

This install was far from easy due to the following:

• The Language files are a mess and miss out a lot of the defines needed for table headings and general text on the admin pages.
  • admin/recover_cart_sales.php has several (about 5) instances of
    mysql_num_rows

which need changing to:

tep_db_num_rows

• one of the language files is wrongly named as recover_cart_sales.php, it should be stats_recover_cart_sales.php

When carrying out the above changes this mod now works on 2.3.3.4 - I would post an update to the package, but simply dont have time at the moment.

Next install will be a header tags controller.

Decision almost made to go with Header Tags SEO (Jack MCS) as It has a proven track record of getting me excellent Google placements

OK Header Tags SEO installed:

Link: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/5851

Bit of a long install - put a good hour or so aside with no distractions.....

also include the change detailed here: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/5851 (post 7325)

Still testing but seems to be working ok so far...

OK going to spend some time testing the site now and looking for glitches or things showing up in the error logs, as that is almost the end of my admin mods process.

There are still a few things that I need to install at a later date (once someone more knowledgeable than me sorts them out) - these are:

• Option Types V2
  • OSC Affiliate

Im also playing with a module I put together for my 2.2 stores where the payment method offered for orders over a certain value is restricted to Bank Transfer only - I needed this to enable me to be competitive on price for high value items, and the only way I could do this was to remove the % charged by paypal / CC companies for card transactions.

If I find errors in my current install I will post them here + the solution (if I find one)

:thumbsup:

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

Spent several hours now testing and everything works as it should - with no errors showing up in the admin or catalog error logs - So Im very pleased :)

Whole set of files and database now downloaded to a data-stick for safe keeping - Just in case I manage to destroy something .....

Now to tackle the way the shop-front looks.....

Just thought I would share something I have come across:

A file on my server kept dissapearing includes/classes/seo_class.php which caused my site to white page.

This file is part of the Ultimate SEO URLs Mod (Chemo).

I asked my hosts what was happening, and they told me that the file was being quarantined then removed by their malware scanner due to occurances of Base64 within the code.

They have now added this file to their ignore-on-scan list.

Thanks

Spent several hours now testing and everything works as it should - with no errors showing up in the admin or catalog error logs - So Im very pleased :)

Pardon me for probably sounding like a total idiot, but what logs are you speaking of? I don't see any error logs in my admin control panel. Browsing my directory structure with my FTP client does not reveal anything as well. Are these logs something provided by your host?

Thank you for your time.

@@Snarg catalog/admin/error_log and catalog/error_log

@@Snarg

The error logs I get are in the root folder and the admin folder and are generate I assume by the hosts system. If you want to check for errors whilst testing it is also possible to change this line in includes/application_top.php

error_reporting(E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE);

to

error_reporting(E_ALL & ~E_STRICT);

Errors on the site and page will be shown. It should not be done on a live site as all errors will show. Just don't forget to turn it back once finished. You can also do the same in the admin/includes/application_top.php file.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

@@Mort-lemur & @@14steve14

Thank you for the help. It seems that my host (1&1) does not log PHP errors. At least, not that I can find.

I made the change steve recommended on my localhost test site and, of course, found errors that had no clue were present. The don't seem to be critical errors so, for the time being, I am going to ignore them. We are at the height of our selling season and do not wish to take the site down for maintenance.

My test site and my live site are in two different environments. I test on XAMPP but my live site is hosted on on a shared Linux server. This leads me to another question: Does anyone know of a mod that will log PHP errors?

Mort-lemur, I'm not trying to hijack your thread. If you would like me to take my questions elsewhere please, let me know. Thank you for your time.

The KISS Error Handling & Debugging addon lets you view errors and database query response times. You can even view errors on a live site without your customers ever seeing the error codes. I find it very useful.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

Archived