• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Modding-Up a new 2.3.3.4 Install - Documented

Mort-lemur

@@Tsimi Looking at the file I downloaded it was the install.txt file from 21 Feb 2011 by JohnATYM - I then downloaded the full version of the CKEditor from http://ckeditor.com/download

Many Thanks

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just added a Modification to allow categories to be turned on and off via the admin pages by way of red and green traffic light icons.

Not too bad to install and works well even though the code was written back in 2008 by Spooks

Link: http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/318434-contribution-hide-categories-products/page__st__20

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

• 2 weeks later...

Well site has been up and running for a couple of weeks now - and Im delighted with the way it all works, and the lack of errors in the logs.

Had an issue with the linking of large images to external sites - and a possible bug, but that was fixed by George (multimixer) details of the fix within this thread: http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/395765-large-image-as-an-external-link-how/ which also offers an enhancement on the way external links are called.

Also installed the alternative administration system : http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8940 to allow the easy edit of cost / net etc prices direct from admin (and a lot more) - very easy install, make sure that you use version of at least 0.2.1 as the previous versions have a couple of bugs. (at time of writing 0.2.1 in pre-release stages)

What a great and informative thread, thanks for taking the time to post as you have added each contrib. Sounds like we did upgrades much along the same timeline - I upgraded my 15 yr old osc store to 2.3 last year due to server upgrade to php 5.3 and let a lot of add-ons go since they weren't compatible and I had no time to waste with the site down. In December they upgraded servers to php 5.4 (but this time have ability to choose php versions) so I updated to osc 2.3.3.4 last week as a result and I've been working away at the add-ons ever since. It has all gone smoothly for the most part, I found this thread when searching for a fix to an add-on. In fact I found fixes for 3 of them that you also installed, so I really wanted to say thank you so much!

I was wondering if there is anyone out there who would know how to or has already combined MultiGeoZone MultiTable Shipping with Separate Shipping Per Product. Both products are pretty easy to install.

I love the MultigeoZone, but our products leave the warehouses packed individually. I need shipping to apply to each product.

Please don't suggest another module. I already tried just about all of them.

I know exactly what the shipping cost of my products is by the zone they ship to and the weight of the package. We have 10,000 item ranging from 5lbs to 150lbs. When product shipping weights are combined, We loose money.

we have 51 zones configured. It works perfectly except it combines the products weight. this is an example of our zone rates.

5:9.99,10:12.99,15:14.99,20:14.99,25:16.99,30:18.99,35:19.99,40:21.99,45:22.99,50:23.99,60:25.99,70:29.99,80:39.99,90:52.99,100:65.99,110:76.99,120:85.99,130:93.99,140:102.99,150:109.99,

@@gardenho Thank you - Im pleased that the thread has helped someone, as well as being a permanent reminder for myself as to what I did and how I did it,

• 2 weeks later...

Back Again - Posting progress to date, site is working great and I have installed a couple of additional changes:

1)Add-This Layers menu (social sharing) link: http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/395644-add-social-sharing-to-your-whole-oscommerce-site/page__st__20#entry1691091 - make sure you read the whole thread - especially regarding how to turn off the "Nasty Cookies" if you are within the EU

View Counter by Jack_MCS link: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8781

Cookie Guard link: http://cookieguard.eu/Default.aspx#theCode

Having a bit of an issue with Recover Cart Sales reporting function, but will sort it eventually and post findings here.

Forgot to mention - if you want to find out exactly what cookies your website, its add-ons and widgets set there is a handy add-on for google chrome called Attacat Cookie Audit tool.

Browse to your site, turn it on, start recording, move around your site then view the report of cookies set - you may be surprised!

Couldnt get an answer on the general forum as to if OSC_Sec is still applicable and required on 2.3.3.4, so sent a pm to Taipo - he advised that it is still applicable, so now installed. Easy install -and has always served me well.....

link: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8929

WOW, Heather!!! (w00t) After reading about all of the changes you've made to your new site I am completely exhausted!!! :blink: I was impressed with myself for being able to add 5 or 6 add-ons to my site ... but you are ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!! Thank you so much for posting your journey. I'm going to go back and read everything from the beginning and hopefully some of the information you've shared will stick. :thumbsup: I appreciate all of the time and effort you put into sharing the results of your efforts with us. It is so inspiring!!! :D

• 1 month later...

Very happy to find this topic.....I have been spending a bit too much time trying to install add ons only to discover they don't quite work as expected in 2.3.3.4.

Yesterday I stumbled across a similar topic but outlining the add ons that are known to break in 2.3.3.4 but cannot find it now. Can anyone point me in the right direction??

Thank you! Sarah

• 2 weeks later...

New version of File Optimizer out. Heather posted about this app earlier in this thread: Very useful tool.

http://nikkhokkho.sourceforge.net/static.php?page=FileOptimizer

History

6.00 - 2014/04/06

- Added PCX optimization support with PCXLite (no404error).

- Do not allow adding the same file more than once (mario lópez)

- Improved GIF compression ratio upgrading to gifsicle 1.82 (custom build).

- Compiled gifsicle with Visual C++ 2013.

- Improved JPEG compression replacing jpegtran with mozjpeg.

- Improved GZ, MNG, PNG, and ZIP compression ratio updating to AdvanceCOMP 1.19.

- Improved WEBP compression ratio updating to libwebp 0.4.0.

- libwebp changed to without WIC codes to reduce external dependencies.

- Upgraded ImageWorsener to 1.2.0.

- Upgraded to zRecompress 2.12.

- Updated to ImageMagick 6.8.8.10.

- Fixed remove selected files out of bounds error.

- Windows 8.1 compatibility enhancements.

- Better performance updating to ASMLib 2.34.

- Upgraded to WinCHM 4.35.

- Upgraded distributions to 7-Zip 9.32.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

Thanks steve - Great tool, Use it every day since I initially installed it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Thank you for the your time and effort with this. I am sure that many people (myself especially) will be a lot more confident in getting an osCommerce site up and running soon ( or even upgrading ).

I have one question though, may I ask why you put the modules on in the order that you did please. From what I can see modules overwrite certain files and some files get overwritten several times. Could a central database be created to maintain what is required in commonly overwritten files to maintain consistency for upgrade purposes. All module writers submitting changes to the database as necessary. This is just a thought and not wanting to offend anyone :rolleyes:

@@Prometheus1618 Great Idea - But problem is who sets it up and maintains it?

Also not every shop owner will want the same add-ons, and to just modify some files without carrying out the rest of the mod on other files would break the sites.

Also this would create an un-supportable monster

No logic in the install process for me - just the order I did things in...

• 2 weeks later...

Just for completeness, Have carried out a few more changes:

• A mod (based on a mod by Jack_MCS) to allow multiple attributes to be selected - with the ability to turn on and off from the product entry page - The code for this is quite specific to my setup - but if anyone needs the code or a link to see what it does drop me a pm and Ill email you a copy.
  • A change suggested by Kymation at this post : http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/tracker/issue-683-password-forgotten-does-not-send-html-link/ as I was needing to manually reset the password for some customers who did not receive a HTML link.
  • Added a function to apply a discount to the order when the customer elects to pay by Bank Transfer for orders over a value of £x. This has had a surprising effect and is working great so far.

Just a couple of "loose ends" to tie up now, and Ill post how i get on with them, Namely:

• Tidy up the way the "do something better with the checkout success" page is laid out, as currently it looks very messy.
  • Find a way to include a "Buy a Paypal Gift Voucher" in a Box or somewhere prominent on a page and resize it to fit the site layout (I had this working fine on my 2.2Rc2a sites, and needed it as google shopping banned us for having Gift Vouchers as Buyable products.
  • Eventually would like to add a Points and Rewards module.

• Added a function to apply a discount to the order when the customer elects to pay by Bank Transfer for orders over a value of £x. This has had a surprising effect and is working great so far.

Hi Heather,

Which add-on do you use to achieve this?

Many thanks, Eddy

@@Moxamint

I had not uploaded my updated version to the contributions - but I have now and here is the link: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/9058

• 5 weeks later...

Just carried out a few changes,

• 2 weeks later...

Well the 2.3.4 updates went without any problems - just a few tweeks needed in how paypal express dealt with my shipping modules. And I have to say the Login with Paypal and Paypal express are awesomme!

I have also now included the paypal gift vouchers function and its working great - Ill post a "How to" maybe as a text only contribution on how to set it up.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Great topic! i have a 2.3.3.1 Store tried to do the upgrade to 2.3.3.2 but i have some errors, i think some contributions (no one related with your topic) give me the errors. I try in my localhost PHP V5.5 and store seems to work OK on 2.3.3.1, hope it continue to work fine in my live web.

@@Mort-lemur

I try "admin comment bar" suggested in this topic, almost everything works fine except one thing: when i update the orders, in the account history the order disappear (customer side), but in admin the order still intact and customer get the email notification. I do not know much about coding, the only thing that i have discovered was using the admin comment bar module then select the order status manually and in this form the order appears normally in account history on customer side.

Please, can you make a test in your store and see if the updated order disappear from customer account history if used admin comment bar.

Thanks!

Just had a look at a couple of orders I had updated with admin comments bar from the customers accounts and all looks good on my set up

Archived