• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Where does EMAIL_TRANSPORT get set?

Schizolocal

I'm having a problem with sending email (my local testing server is Windows but my live site is Unix, so I am trying to juggle the use of the two).

On my Windows server, I cannot successfully send via smtp, and it seems that the variable EMAIL_TRANSPORT is blank. The same test of the value of this variable occurs 4 times on my site..viz:

if (EMAIL_TRANSPORT == 'smtp') {

etc

..but I cannot find anywhere that actually sets it. Am I missing something or have I deleted a file by mistake?

Thanks

Stuart

Thanks for the reply, but it's not quite what I wanted.

I know how to use the configuration tool in Admin, but I am at a loss, at the php level, to work out how the variable EMAIL_TRANSPORT is given a value, which, at the time it is tested, is always blank.

I think there is something I do not understand about the php referencing mechanism, since the variable is a value in the Configuraton table of the database. But how does the php statement use that?

Stuart

As you say, EMAIL_TRANSPORT is in the configuration file. It is in the configuration_key column, at about line 140 . The corresponding entry in the configuration_value column should be 'sendmail' (without the quotes). Many osC files include the line

require('includes/application_top.php');

and application_top in turn includes

// set the application parameters
$configuration_query = tep_db_query('select configuration_key as cfgKey, configuration_value as cfgValue from ' . TABLE_CONFIGURATION);
while ($configuration = tep_db_fetch_array($configuration_query)) {
define($configuration['cfgKey'], $configuration['cfgValue']);
}

This creates a great many 'defines', pretty much like those in

catalog\includes\languages\english.php

and so php will just replace 'EMAIL_TRANSPORT' with 'sendmail'.

Thanks for the reply, but it's not quite what I wanted.

Are you sure that is not what you wanted ?

By setting this in the admin area, you change data into the database => you get EMAIL_TRANSPORT defined from within the database. Think of it as a "key" and a "value". EMAIL_TRANSPORT => sendmail

As @@Chris H states, this is also true for items in the language files, again, keys and values:

define('HEADER_TITLE_TOP', 'Administration');

key: HEADER_TITLE_TOP

Value: Administration

echo HEADER_TITLE_TOP

outputs: Administration

However, if you are developing on localhost, it's pointless trying to get email to work - total pain in the hoop - just turn off emails in the localhost DB and do without them.

@@burt

Well, in a way it was what I wanted, except that the missing information that I needed was the loop Define in application_top. (It is true that the value gets assigned when I use the admin tool, but I just couldn't find the place where it was defined)

I am using my own Windows server as a webserver (using Fastream IQ) for testing, but my live application will be hosted on a Unix machine (outside of my control). I have previously, with a different project, managed to get email to work on both, switching smtp and sendmail depending on the context. I was trying to build that into my oscommerce project too, but I thought I needed to know where the definition took place. When I didn't understand how the variable was defined, I was a bit stymied.

Thanks for your help, all - I'm happy now.

(You might ask why I am testing on a local machine - the answer is in my address. I live on the island of St.Helena in the middle of South Atlantic Ocean, at the end of a very thin satellite link over which extremely expensive bytes pass. I cannot afford to be profligate with my uploads and downloads, so testing locally is a financial imperative. The hosted live site will be on YOUR end; my intended customers will surely thank me for that!)

Stuart

Archived