• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Open discussion on speeding up osCommerce

burt

Has anyone got any experience of using tools such as minify for css / javascrips etc compression on an OSC set up ? Link: http://code.google.com/p/minify/

Would it help or would it break things?

Thanks

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well first thing I done was move all the css to the top in template_top.php

This made a measurable difference.

Some of my files let me minify but with certain ones can not remember exactly which I had font problems where the colours were read wrong for some strange reason.

No harm to try all just rename to _old and test

Regards

Joli

PS:

Also interesting is using defer for certain scripts

Example:

<script type="text/javascript" defer='defer' src="ext/jquery/bxGallery/jquery.bxGallery.1.1.min.js"></script>

But did not measure results.

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

@@joli1811

Thanks for that - as I have now finished (apart from polishing) my sites, I can start to play with speed improvements on my now development site.

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

A significant waste of time, unless you are near the Paypal server, is fetching the customer's address twice from PP. Admittedly it doesn't happen until the customer has committed to purchase, but still.

line numbers in catalog/ext/modules/payment/paypal/express.php :

233 $response_array = $paypal_express->getExpressCheckoutDetails($HTTP_GET_VARS['token']);

495 tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_CONFIRMATION, '', 'SSL'));

line number in catalog/checkout_confirmation.php :

89 $payment_modules->pre_confirmation_check();

line numbers in catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_express.php :

102 function pre_confirmation_check() {

110 $response_array = $this->getExpressCheckoutDetails($ppe_token);

122 tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_PROCESS, '', 'SSL'));

As we see, 'getExpressCheckoutDetails' appears twice in the sequence. My line-numbers may not quite match yours, since I have done a certain amount of tampering.

Open-source software represents the freely-given labour of altruistic people, so I express no opinion upon burying a redirect inside a function.

Much of the code in checkout_confirmation, it seems to me, does not normally execute. But that's another topic.

Burt is right about re-sizing images once-and-for-all, instead of repeatedly doing it afresh. And sizing several thousand images need not be time-consuming. I would myself use Perl and Imagemagick, though that might not be everyone's choice.

@@joli1811 had a play with

Also interesting is using defer for certain scripts

Example:

<script type="text/javascript" defer='defer' src="ext/jquery/bxGallery/jquery.bxGallery.1.1.min.js"></script>

But did not measure results.

Tested with gtmetrics and pingit - no measureable speed increases......

Made a demo version of oscommerce 2.3.3.4, removed jquery ui, fancybox, bxgallery and grid960 replaced those with Bootstrap 3 and a bootstrap compatible lightbox image/video pop-up, added a thumbnailer and some htaccess optimization.

This gave a GTmetrix score of:

Front page: Page Speed Grade 98% and Yslow Grade: 92%

Product page: Page Speed Grade: 97% and Yslow Grade: 83%

Product page with social bookmarks module disabled: Page Speed Grade: 99% and Yslow Grade: 93%

To compare the default oscommerce 2.3.3.4 demo, http://demo.oscommerce.com/

Front page: Page Speed Grade: 75% and Yslow Grade: 81%

Product page: Page Speed Grade: 83% and Yslow Grade: 79%

NOTE: Not entirely fair though since the default demo could be further optimized to get higher grades too.

Since the social bookmarks module had quite an effect, I tried out some alternatives.

Product Page with AddThis: Page Speed Grade: 97% and Yslow Grade: 86%

Product Page with Share This: Page Speed Grade: 91% and Yslow Grade: 88%

Product Page with "Sexybookmarks": Page Speed Grade: 98% and Yslow Grade: 92%

And the winner: Addthis Layers , it is responsive and available site wide.

Front Page with AddThis Layers: Page Speed Grade: 99% and Yslow Grade: 90%

Product Page with AddThis Layers: Page Speed Grade: 99% and Yslow Grade: 91%

Made a demo version of oscommerce 2.3.3.4, removed jquery ui, fancybox, bxgallery and grid960 replaced those with Bootstrap 3 and a bootstrap compatible lightbox image/video pop-up, added a thumbnailer and some htaccess optimization.

Is it possible to get a link to this shop ?

I just saw the light at the end of the tunnel :thumbsup:

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

I think I have gone just about as far as I can on the speed side of things now - without doing major things to js or using CDNs etc - I have to realise that there is a limit. Below is a screenshot of my latest score:

post-253268-0-28348600-1388413569_thumb.png

Or should I be striving for faster ??

Yes, click on the different points in the GTmetrix report and follow their suggestions.

I am thinking that - but my question is what is acceptable in terms of speed?

I mean I could spend many hours trying to gain a 0.02 second increase - would that be worth the effort? Also setting up images on a cookiless domain looks like it is one of the big savers - but again is it worth the effort or expense?

I have looked at some major websites and their speed scores are terrible!

If your site and another competing site are about equal on other criteria, then if one have a better speed score that could tip the ranking in their favor.

Using a CDN and/or cookie-less domain might be a bit of stretch for most small to medium businesses.

I was referring more to the other points where you can improve the score in your posted chart without major changes, like for instance: Combine images using CSS sprites, Optimize Images, Avoid a character set in the meta tags, Avoid CSS import, Inline small js, Minify CSS, Serve ressources from a consistent URL, Leverage browser caching, Avoid bad requests.

But my question remains - is it worth the effort? I have done speed tests on Sears, John Lewis & Screwfix - who are all very successful online stores - and their results are far worse than mine - as you can see by the screenshots below - if its not that important to the big boys with mega budgets then should we really worry about 1/2 second improvements here and there ?

Why bother with any SEO optimization at all, if many of the "big" players don't?

The difference is, they are already a known entity/brand in addition to having huge advertising budgets.

So if your main source of traffic are from paid advertisement or from people who already know your url, then yes it might not be worth the extra work.

If on the other hand you try to get as much "free" traffic as you can then utilizing all facets of SEO and SMO is usually worth the extra work.

Ofcourse at a certain point diminishing returns kicks in, then your time might be better spent focusing on other aspects instead.

In the days of slow internet speeds I would have said it was important. Today, with faster broadband and better serviers, it seems not so important. Just my opinion though.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Thats my question:

Ofcourse at a certain point diminishing returns kicks in, then your time might be better spent focusing on other aspects instead.
what is that point?

At what speed score should we be happy on OSC - as there is no point chasing something that is unobtainable, and gaining little benifit if it is achieved.

In the days of slow internet speeds I would have said it was important. Today, with faster broadband and better serviers, it seems not so important. Just my opinion though.

Besides the usability advantage of a fast loading webpage, it has become more of a focus again recently due to how much of peoples surfing are now done on the go via tablets/mobiles. Also its become part of SEO optimization since your pages speed is now an integral part of Googles ranking algorithms.

Thats my question:

what is that point?

At what speed score should we be happy on OSC - as there is no point chasing something that is unobtainable, and gaining little benifit if it is achieved.

First and foremost its a mater of usability and visitor satisfaction. Ie. does you site load fast enough for your visitors.

Secondly its a mater of gaining some extra leverage in the search engine rankings.

In your case, as long as your site loads fast your current score is ok and I don't think its worth moving heaven and earth to improve it.

Its just that in the chart you showed, there were several deductions which you should be able to "fix" without major changes and if doing those could gain you a point or two better score...then why not just do it....

Archived