• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How to make shipping notification AUTOMATIC

OilyPablo

We use v2.2 RC2. We always use USPS. We use stamps.com. We want OScommerce to notify our customers when we ship.

The problem is our order page populates the changes automatically to NOT NOTIFY the customer.

Why does it not notify the customer? Do we need a separate module for this? We shouldn't because I can manually copy and paste the shipping information into the empty comments box, keep the status at shipped, check the NOTIFY CUSTOMER: box and click update. And of course the customer is then notified. Don't want to do this manually it seems like it should be a simple toggle.

Please help, we are baffled.

Is this forum not active any more or are my questions too difficult? Not much help here any more - not whining as it is FREE. Just curious.

Thanks to all. Paul

This forum is active so do not worry about that.

As to your question. How does your store know when you have shipped something. Currently you tell it you have shipped an item and you manually update the order and the customer gets an email. Now you want to automate this, so how does your store know that you have shipped an item ir order. You need to tell it, so where do you want to enter this information. Once you have this worked out, may be there is a way to do it automatically.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Lack of feedback is in general because others don't understand your problem - if you don't take the time to explain things in detail, how do you expect others to spend their (precious) free time to help you ?

Personnally, I will help if I can, but if I can tell it is going to be a longwinded thread to get anywhere I give up before I start ... sorry - but that is just the way I approach this free forum

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

osC was architected to be a completely standalone system that does not expect to talk to anything else. If you have some software in your back office that is aware when an order has shipped, it ought to be possible to modify osC to somehow be informed of this and to toggle the switch and send the email. Not necessarily clean and easy, but at least theoretically possible. osC doesn't have an existing API to do such things, but maybe the "shipped" information could be put into a file (or the database) that osC could read several times a day. Just some thoughts...

Thanks folks. You all have very valid points. I always think I don't have enough knowledge to help answer questions, but by this point we probably do indeed have something to give back to the forum.

This forum is active so do not worry about that.

As to your question. How does your store know when you have shipped something. Currently you tell it you have shipped an item and you manually update the order and the customer gets an email. Now you want to automate this, so how does your store know that you have shipped an item ir order. You need to tell it, so where do you want to enter this information. Once you have this worked out, may be there is a way to do it automatically.

Our store knows because when we batch ship using Stamps.com, it automatically feeds back all the shipping information, like this:

"Shipped on 11/09/2013 via USPS [uSPS Intl Priority], Tracking number CJ4833XXXXXUS"

And adds it to the comments field. But the customer does not get an email. Seems like we just need to have the switch toggled to send it.

osC was architected to be a completely standalone system that does not expect to talk to anything else. If you have some software in your back office that is aware when an order has shipped, it ought to be possible to modify osC to somehow be informed of this and to toggle the switch and send the email. Not necessarily clean and easy, but at least theoretically possible. osC doesn't have an existing API to do such things, but maybe the "shipped" information could be put into a file (or the database) that osC could read several times a day. Just some thoughts...

THIS. Exactly the part in bold. Also the database/file idea is something we had not thought about.

to make your live easy go to addons and llook http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/869 tis is very helpfull and not so hard to modify nad verry easy to install

Will explore this add on.

Thanks - you guys are GOOD!!

@@OilyPablo

You can edit your ShippingZOscommerce.php to add in something to email your customer. I think the reason they just update the database for you is that the software sends an email out for you so why send an additional email through osCommerce to notify them of the same thing.

If you want to edit the function look for the following function in ShippingZOscommerce.php:

function UpdateShippingInfo($OrderNumber,$TrackingNumber,$ShipDate='',$ShipmentType='',$Notes='',$Carrier='',$Service='')

Matt

@@OilyPablo

You can edit your ShippingZOscommerce.php to add in something to email your customer. *I think the reason they just update the database for you is that the software sends an email out for you so why send an additional email through osCommerce to notify them of the same thing.

If you want to edit the function look for the following function in ShippingZOscommerce.php:

function UpdateShippingInfo($OrderNumber,$TrackingNumber,$ShipDate='',$ShipmentType='',$Notes='',$Carrier='',$Service='')

Not sure what you mean by this* what software sends what email?

Thanks for the help.

P