• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

What editing Software are YOU using?

Tsimi

I was wondering what Software YOU use to work with codes such as PHP, HTML, CSS and so on...

I use the following Software:

for HTML, PHP etc...

Notepad++

Winsyntax

Winmerge

for CSS

TopStyle Lite

Sublime

Is there anything besides Dreamweaver that has some sort of preview window so you can see how the changes in the code affect the

design of the page?

If this is the WRONG place for this Topic, please forgive me. I didn't know where else to ask.

Editing/Debugging: Eclipse, occasionally gedit

Comparison: Meld

To see the effect of your changes in real time, install Apache/PHP/MySQL on your local machine and edit the files in the web root of that local server.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

To see the effect of your changes in real time, install Apache/PHP/MySQL on your local machine and edit the files in the web root of that local server.

hi jim

thanks for your info.

that is what i'm currently doing. always edit -> save file -> refresh browser.

i thought if there is a preview window you could just mark or click a certain piece of code and i would highlight the selected area in the preview window.

I found an old Topic where Supertex attached a picture with something that looks similar to what i'm looking for.

You can see the HTML/PHP Code at the bottom, right side are the CSS definitions and a big preview window in the middle.

Does anyone know the name of that software he's using?

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/392719-product-listing-header-defining-cell-width-possible/#entry1669225

That's probably just a browser window with the browser's Inspect Element function. I prefer using Firebug in Firefox for this. See this screenshot for an example with Firebug using the link on your comment as the target. It's not automatic, but it is very helpful when trying to figure out why something is being displayed in a certain way.

Regards

Jim

I was wondering what Software YOU use to work with codes such as PHP, HTML, CSS and so on...

I use Dreamweaver, Winmerge, Firefox/Firebug and XAMPP. ;)

- :: Jim :: -

- My Toolbox ~ Adobe Web Bundle, XAMPP & WinMerge | Install ~ osC v2.3.3.4 -

To both Jim

Thank you for the Input. Appreciated.

I'll definitely use firebug from now on, very helpful tool.

Too bad that not more people posted what they're using. I was very curious to know what other skilled coders use.

People from the Dev. section? People that earn their daily bread with coding?

Of course not to forget Photoshop or Gimp the Colour picker browser extension and a screenshot tool ( pictures are sometimes better than a thousand words) :)

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

Too bad that not more people posted what they're using. I was very curious to know what other skilled coders use.

People from the Dev. section? People that earn their daily bread with coding?

This question gets asked quite often. If you search the forums using google, you should be able to find several threads on the subject.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

As a storeowner, parttime coder I now use

Notepad++ (with firefox and fireftp)

Firebug

Firefox Webdeveloper Extension

BeyondCompare (tried winmerge, but just like beyondcompare more)

HeidiSql if you have direct access to database

as an IT professional in the past, have used UltraEdit and ultracompare quite happily too

for images work,

ObviousIdea Light Image Resizer and Paint.net

for banners/ads opensource dtp sw: scribus

big development I do locally with typical xamp solutions,

smaller changes I have a copy of production code online to try and use beyond compare to sync directories

HTH

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

Heh - I'm not plugged in but I'm knocking on a bit ....

Dreamweaver CS3 (code view only)

Apache2Triad (now that's really getting old) for site view

B2C for comparison

Tortoise SVN (when I can be bothered)

As a Luddite I'm sworn to the above but, time permitting, or when I am on the laptop...

Notepad++ is good

XAMP for testing

Aptana at times but whilst I think it is really good I'm in a middle aged rut so the 'dissimeralities' between that and Dreamweaver hurt my brain

Filezilla for ftp outside of Dreamweaver.

If you want something IMHO much better than Dreamweaver for php you should take a look at Netbeans which is completely free. They have version for PHp that they continue to develop and inmprove. It's come a long wayin the last few years and it will do more than you probably imagine and is actively developed with a new version in release canidate. I haven't used it in a few months so I haven't used 7.4. There's a learning curve but it works pretty well and you can add Xdebug to it for a debugger which is also free. Check it out

https://netbeans.org/features/php/index.html

and the blog

https://blogs.oracle.com/netbeansphp/

I also agree that BeyondCompare is great software and $50 well spent.

I use http://www.editpadpro.com/ daily because it's fast and highly configurable, plus it integrates with RegexBuddy which has taught me a lot.

I'm not really a dog.

What software do you use to backup and restore the oSC database...I can export it using the phpMyadmin software but it times out when I try to import it. I've tried downloading a few of the various mysql editing programs but I don't seem to be able to do a simple import. Can someone please point me in the right direction.

Dan

I use MySQLDumper to backup and restore large stores. It breaks the backup into smaller chunks (usually the default 1 MB works well). It has allowed me to do a selective restore of certain tables from an osCommerce store with about 60,000 products, and to make a development copy of that same store, so I'm fairly confident that it will work when I need it.

Regards

Jim

I use MySQLDumper to backup and restore large stores. It breaks the backup into smaller chunks (usually the default 1 MB works well). It has allowed me to do a selective restore of certain tables from an osCommerce store with about 60,000 products, and to make a development copy of that same store, so I'm fairly confident that it will work when I need it.

Thanks Jim I'll give that program a try.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I've moved from a Mac using TextMate, Sublime Text, Netbeans, and Git Tower (git client), to Windows 8 using Brackets and SourceTree (git client).

Windows has IIS (webserver) so I'm using that with PHP Manager to easily install and switch between PHP versions - and of course to make sure OSCOM works under IIS.

The website recently migrated from Apache2+fcgid to Nginx+FPM, so OSCOM also works well in that environment.

:heart:, osCommerce

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I found an editor called Aptana Studio 3 - its open source and you can download a stand alone version or Eclipse plugin. So far I like it, has all the features of the paid editors and seems pretty productive. I grabbed a version for Mac, but do believe they have Windows and Linix versions as well.

Follow the community build:

BS3 to osCommerce Responsive from the Get Go!

Check out the new construction:

Admin Gone to Total BS!

I use phpstorm now, it's detect all errors php, html .... After I use sublime text.

Actually phpstorm is one of the best for me. I use since several years and test lot of other editor. no equivalent

Regards
-----------------------------------------
Loïc

Contact me by skype for business
Contact me @gyakutsuki for an answer on the forum

• 3 months later...

I just found this - have not used it, but wanted to share it - http://brackets.io/?lang=en

( :ph34r: Ok - I really am just being sloppy and using to forum to bookmark links I want to check out later)

Follow the community build:

BS3 to osCommerce Responsive from the Get Go!

Check out the new construction:

Admin Gone to Total BS!

Archived