• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Need help: Please review my website

Awie

In what way do you feel you need help ?

In my view, the site is funtional, but looks very like an "out of the box" new install of osCommerce (other than your category box).

Thanks for your view, Burton.

Some points that I need to improve (but don't know how):

• Design. I want more eye-catching and simpler design, but I don't know what should I add, modify or delete. I am interested to change the template, but I am afraid it will influence the SEO I have made (with keywords: tas gunung, tas gunung murah, perlengkapan outdoor, etc).
  • Pagespeed/pageload. When I run Firebug, my site got Grade F on 'Make fewer HTTP requests'. It says: This page has 12 external Javascript scripts, 7 external stylesheets, and 11 external background images. Firebug recommends to combine them. I have no idea about this.
  • Still on Firebug, my site got Grade F on 'Put Javascript at bottom'. I don't know how to solve this.

Regards,

Awie

I would take a look at your store but after having a blank page for over 15 seconds I gave up. You could have a problem somewhere as other sites seem to load quickly.

Hi wicara,

See the same as Steve very slow loading to slow in fact you will have to find out why.

Regards

Joli

Thanks for your response, Steve and John.

That is the main problem of my site: very slow loading. I don't know what causing that and how to fix it, as I have no webmaster/coding background. That is why I come to this forum.

As comparison, now my site is faster than before since I uploaded two pictures for every product: one small picture (average 4 kb) and one big picture (average 35 kb). But still, it is very slow. :(

If I remember correctly a few months ago the site was loading OK .

You will have to debug.

Did you change servers?

You can measure your site speed at http://gtmetrix.com/ you 'speed to get it up to at least near the 80's at first glance I do not think it is the images they could be better but they are not bad.

Try disabling that product slideshow in the right hand column after you have measured at gtmetrix !

There are few good threads at the minute about site speed

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/394080-my-mobile-oscommerce-site/page__st__20

is about mobile but a few good tips as regards site speed

Gzip compression will make a differnce think there is a new addon for the htaccess

This can be enabled also in your admin.

You can also enable your cache in admin which speeds things up also.

Well were the pages loading ok at the beginning and it is only recently that they slowed or is my memory wrong ??

Moving your css in template_top.php to the top also helps

There is a lot that can be done you will have to research a bit

Regards

Joli

It naturally can also be just a slow server ??

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

Are you using some template? This is not a stock installation is it?

Yes, it is taking a very long time to load on my computer as well.

I had some problems like yours in the beginning of my site so I went to gtmetrix and their suggestion really helps.

I tried your site in gtmetrix and your pagespeed rating is F.... 75 requests, 44.9s.

You can put some simple codes in your .htaccess file to speed things up.

Something like this (btw there are many different ways this is just a sugestion):

# 480 weeks

<filesMatch ".(ico|pdf|flv|jpg|jpeg|png|gif|js|css|swf)$">

Header set Cache-Control "max-age=290304000, public"

</FilesMatch>

# 2 DAYS

<filesMatch ".(xml|txt)$">

Header set Cache-Control "max-age=172800, public, must-revalidate"

</FilesMatch>

# 2 HOURS

<filesMatch ".(html|htm)$">

Header set Cache-Control "max-age=7200, must-revalidate"

</FilesMatch>

# compress text, HTML, Javascript, CSS, and XML

AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/plain

AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html

AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/xml

AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/css

AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/xml

AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/xhtml+xml

AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/rss+xml

AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/javascript

AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/x-javascript

# remove browser bugs

BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html

BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0[678] no-gzip

BrowserMatch \bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html

Header append Vary User-Agent

IMO, your site looks very similair to a stock version so may be if speeding it up is too much due to how things were coded to begin with you can try to buy a nice template from the sponsors on this forum, it will give you the visual impact you are looking for, and should not take so long to load unless you have some server problem.

If I remember correctly a few months ago the site was loading OK .

You will have to debug.

Did you change servers?

You can measure your site speed at http://gtmetrix.com/ you 'speed to get it up to at least near the 80's at first glance I do not think it is the images they could be better but they are not bad.

Try disabling that product slideshow in the right hand column after you have measured at gtmetrix !

There are few good threads at the minute about site speed

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/394080-my-mobile-oscommerce-site/page__st__20

is about mobile but a few good tips as regards site speed

Gzip compression will make a differnce think there is a new addon for the htaccess

This can be enabled also in your admin.

You can also enable your cache in admin which speeds things up also.

Well were the pages loading ok at the beginning and it is only recently that they slowed or is my memory wrong ??

Moving your css in template_top.php to the top also helps

There is a lot that can be done you will have to research a bit

Regards

Joli

It naturally can also be just a slow server ??

Thank you very much for your deep review, John.

I am very excited knowing that you have looked at my site a few months ago and have compared the speed to the current. And yes, you'are right that a few months ago it loaded faster.

My site becomes slower after I installed superfish box and placed background image (that I have deleted a few minutes ago).

I didn't change the server.

Using gtmetrix review, my site speed is very bad. It only got 40%. :( I have also enabled gzip compression via admin by setting it up to 5 level. I don't know if setting it up to 9 level will have bad consequences.

In term of moving css in template_top.php to the top, I don't know how to do this.

Once again, thank you for your great input. I will try them.

Cheers...

Regards,

Awie

@@aurora_cues

Hi Richard,

Just happened to have a fresh oscommerce-2.3.3.4nd thought I would test your .htaccess code

2 x screenshots Before and After taken at Gtmetrix

Unbelievable simply awesome

Thank you very much for your deep review, John.

I am very excited knowing that you have looked at my site a few months ago and have compared the speed to the current. And yes, you'are right that a few months ago it loaded faster.

My site becomes slower after I installed superfish box and placed background image (that I have deleted a few minutes ago).

I didn't change the server.

Using gtmetrix review, my site speed is very bad. It only got 40%. :( I have also enabled gzip compression via admin by setting it up to 5 level. I don't know if setting it up to 9 level will have bad consequences.

In term of moving css in template_top.php to the top, I don't know how to do this.

Once again, thank you for your great input. I will try them.

Cheers...

Regards,

Awie

You can set gzip to level 1, but the code I posted above should give you gzip as well.

If superfish is slowing your site may be uninstall it?

I dont think it is your image that is making it slow.

Thanks for your view, Burton.

Some points that I need to improve (but don't know how):

• Design. I want more eye-catching and simpler design, but I don't know what should I add, modify or delete. I am interested to change the template, but I am afraid it will influence the SEO I have made (with keywords: tas gunung, tas gunung murah, perlengkapan outdoor, etc).
  • Pagespeed/pageload. When I run Firebug, my site got Grade F on 'Make fewer HTTP requests'. It says: This page has 12 external Javascript scripts, 7 external stylesheets, and 11 external background images. Firebug recommends to combine them. I have no idea about this.
  • Still on Firebug, my site got Grade F on 'Put Javascript at bottom'. I don't know how to solve this.

Regards,

Awie

what they were trying to say about js and css is for you to put css before </head> and some js in template_bottom.

I think if you try to place the htaccess code above or something similiar in your shop it should load faster. if it is still slow, may be uninstall the superfish installation?

If you want a slider nivo is what i use and i am happy with it.

I am not too sure why you have 75 requests according to gtmetrix, that is much more than what you normally see in a stock version.

hth. :)

Doubt if it is the Superfish I also done a before after test in gtmetrix the Superfish scored about 8% better than the categories accordion .

The Super fish should be making a cache file in includes/work/categories_superfish_box-english.cache you could take a look and make sure it is there!!

I personally would be suspect of the slide show in the right hand column easy to disable in admin to test!!

I also believe like Richard that the nivo slider is a bit lighter .

An example of moving the css to the top in template_top would be

<!-- EOF: Header Tags SEO Generated Meta Tags -->

<base href="http://www.osc-design.com/demo6/" />

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="ext/960gs/1032_24_col.css" />

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="ext/jquery/fancybox/jquery.fancybox.css" />

<link rel="stylesheet" href="ext/nivo_slider/themes/default/default.css" type="text/css" media="screen" />

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="stylesheet.css" />

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="fontface.css" />

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style.css" />

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="ext/jquery/ui/gary2/jquery-ui-1.10.3.min.css" />

<link rel="stylesheet" media="screen" href="ext/jquery/superfish/css/superfish.css" />

<link rel="stylesheet" media="screen" href="ext/jquery/superfish/css/superfish-vertical.css">

<link rel="stylesheet" href="ext/nivo_slider/nivo-slider.css" type="text/css" media="screen" />

<script type="text/javascript" src="ext/jquery/jquery-1.10.1.min.js"></script>

<script src="ext/jquery/jquery-migrate-1.2.1.min.js" defer='defer'></script>

<script type="text/javascript" src="ext/jquery/ui/jquery-ui.custom.min.js"></script>

<script type="text/javascript" src="ext/jquery/jquery.nivo.slider.pack.js"></script>

<script type='text/javascript' src='ext/jquery/jquery.colorbox-min.js' defer='defer'></script>

<script type='text/javascript' src='ext/jquery/jquery.dcmegamenu.1.3.3.js'></script>

<script type='text/javascript' src='ext/jquery/hover.intent.jquery.js'></script>

<LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="http://www.osc-design.com/demo6/favicon.ico">

etc..etc...

Simple really and does help a lot with speed just make sure you do not change the order in which the stylesheets are called.

Remember you can also turn on your cache in the admin there are x 2 links take a look and test

Regards

Joli

@ :

Many thanks for your suggestion. I used stock template, but have modified some parts. And yes, tested using gtmetrix in term of pagespeed, my site has 75 requests. What does it mean?

Also, I have put the code you suggest and disabled category slideshow, but I don't feel any improvement.

Here is the htacess codes after following your suggestion:

<IfModule mod_expires.c>

# Enable expirations

ExpiresActive On

# Default directive

ExpiresDefault "access plus 1 month"

# My favicon

ExpiresByType image/x-icon "access plus 1 year”

# Images

ExpiresByType image/gif "access plus 1 month"

ExpiresByType image/png "access plus 1 month"

ExpiresByType image/jpg "access plus 1 month"

ExpiresByType image/jpeg "access plus 1 month"

# CSS

ExpiresByType text/css "access 1 month”

# Javascript

ExpiresByType application/javascript "access plus 1 year"

# 480 weeks

<filesMatch ".(ico|pdf|flv|jpg|jpeg|png|gif|js|css|swf)$">

Header set Cache-Control "max-age=290304000, public"

</FilesMatch>

# 2 DAYS

<filesMatch ".(xml|txt)$">

Header set Cache-Control "max-age=172800, public, must-revalidate"

</FilesMatch>

# 2 HOURS

<filesMatch ".(html|htm)$">

Header set Cache-Control "max-age=7200, must-revalidate"

</FilesMatch>

# compress text, HTML, Javascript, CSS, and XML

AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/plain

AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html

AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/xml

AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/css

AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/xml

AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/xhtml+xml

AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/rss+xml

AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/javascript

AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/x-javascript

# remove browser bugs

BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html

BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0[678] no-gzip

BrowserMatch \bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html

Header append Vary User-Agent

</IfModule>

RewriteBase /

# Begin Ultimate SEO V2.2d

Options +FollowSymLinks

RewriteEngine On

# RewriteBase instructions

# Change RewriteBase dependent on how your shop is accessed as below.

# http://www.mysite.com = RewriteBase /

# http://www.mysite.com/catalog/ = RewriteBase /catalog/

# http://www.mysite.com/catalog/shop/ = RewriteBase /catalog/shop/

# Change the following line using the instructions above

#RewriteBase /oscom/

RewriteRule ^(.*)-p-(.*).html$ product_info.php?products_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-c-(.*).html$ index.php?cPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-m-(.*).html$ index.php?manufacturers_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-pi-(.*).html$ popup_image.php?pID=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-by-(.*).html$ all-products.php?fl=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-t-(.*).html$ articles.php?tPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-a-(.*).html$ article_info.php?articles_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-au-(.*).html$ articles.php?authors_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-pr-(.*).html$ product_reviews.php?products_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-pri-(.*).html$ product_reviews_info.php?products_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-f-(.*).html$ faqdesk_info.php?faqdesk_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-fc-(.*).html$ faqdesk_index.php?faqPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-fri-(.*).html$ faqdesk_reviews_info.php?faqdesk_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-fra-(.*).html$ faqdesk_reviews_article.php?faqdesk_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-i-(.*).html$ information.php?info_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-links-(.*).html$ links.php?lPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-pm-([0-9]+).html$ info_pages.php?pages_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-n-(.*).html$ newsdesk_info.php?newsdesk_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-nc-(.*).html$ newsdesk_index.php?newsPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-nri-(.*).html$ newsdesk_reviews_info.php?newsdesk_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-nra-(.*).html$ newsdesk_reviews_article.php?newsdesk_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-po-([0-9]+).html$ pollbooth.php?pollid=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

# End Ultimate SEO V2.2d

To uninstall superfish box is also dilemma for me, because I liket it very much. :)

I have put nivo slider in the past, but it failed because of my lack of knowledge in coding.

@:

I don't find: includes/work/categories_superfish_box-english as you suggested. Maybe I missed something in installation of superfish?

I will try your suggestion to move the css.

I have also turned on cache in admin.

Btw, thanks for your great suggestion, Richard and John.

There are many homework I have to finish to make my site looks better and faster.

Hi all...

Come back again. After modifying some parts, my web pagespeed has increased a little bit.

I have turned on gzip compression via admin. I have also put gzip compression code as suggested by Ridhard.

But I still don't know how to move the css to the top in template_top as suggested by John Dunlop. :(

Tested using gtmetrix, my site still got Grade F (40%) on pagespeed. What does 'Total number of requests: 61' mean?

Regards,

Awie

Just as a bit on an experiment why not install another copy of oscommerce in a seperate folder, and leaving it as standard try your speed tests on the new install. If that is very slow, then it could look like your server is paying up. If it works fast, then it must be some code that you have changed. I must say that your logo image did take a long time to load as I could watch it load a line at a time. This is only a suggestion and may not have any benefits at all.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Hi,

Yes it is slow again I think what Steve says is a good idea as I personally think the server is just plain slow so that is the best way to find out.

Regards

Joli

@14steve14 and @joli1811:

Thanks for your suggestion. I am considering to change my store logo with smaller size. :thumbsup:

I have also asked my provider to change the server location, but they refused. They said my site is OK.

One more thing: my domain is an addons of another domain. Is it the main cause of my slow speed?

No generally not this should not be a problem unless the main site was very busy 1000+ hits a day.

Do what Steve suggested just install a fresh copy of oscommerce in a directory called test takes 15 minutes the only thing you have to do is add a new empty test database to use for the install call the site in your browser

http://www.WahanaStore.com/test

and follow the install instructions then check your speeds with Gtmetrix

This way you know for certain if this is server related or site related

I really do not see much wrong with your images.

This morning the site was taking 15 + seconds to load which is very long.

So really think it is a server issue.

Regards

Joli

I am not sure how gtmetrix works exactly but it seems like a measurement on the clients side rather than the server side. I just wonder if it is just a slow server problem wouldn't your score in gtmetrix improve from F to something else after you have made some changes? Can you install a new fresh stock version of oscommerce and then test it to see the speed. You can just install it into a sub domain that you create. I think there is something weird with your codes. 60+ requests is a lot but it is an improvement from 70+ in the beginning. However, it is loading so slowly you must be losing lots of potential leads who just quit without even seeing your site. If you want a better look and a faster site but do not know how to do it, may be buy a template from a forum sponsor and see if your database can be just switched over? Just sell a few more items on your site will pay for the cost, and you will not keep losing sales because your site takes too much time to load, so you are preventing future lost of potential sales as well.

• 10 months later...

Just sharing after a while...

After having done trial-error for some months (never-ending effort), my website now is much much faster. Following the recommendation from Gtmetrix and Firebug, here are what I have did:

• Minifying CSS and HTML. I am surprised that minifying the two has correlation with Gzip compression. Beforely I have turned on Gzip compression, but the grade is F. After minifying CSS and HTML, the grade increased drastically.
  • Using CDN. This also increased the page speed. Firebug helped this much easier.
  • Using two pictures for every product (small and big). I decreased all photos size using photoshop. Besides, I also made same scale of all product pictures.
  • Putting the CSS at the top and JS at the bottom.
  • Lastly, moving server. As recommended by aurora and others, after moved the server, my speed increased from around 9 seconds to 5 seconds.

So far, I am very happy with my web performance: Page Speed Grade 95%, YSlow Grade 87%, page load time around 5-6 seconds. Big thanks to all who helped me.

Next step: Layout.

Archived