• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How to upgrade from v2.2 RC2a to 2.3.3

sormui

Going from the 2.2 series to the 2.3 series is not straightforward. You have pretty much only 1 option;

1. update the database to 2.3.3.1 standard. This adds the necessary extra bits to your existing database meaning you don't lose clients/orders/categories/products and so on.

2. install 2.3.3.1 fileset (and link it to the datsabase you updated)

3. reskin the new 2.3.3.1 to match your older site (or of course refresh the look to something new)

4. install any required addons (some of which, if they have Database entries, may not need SQL changes, only fileset changes

If none of that made sense, then this job should not be tackled by you, and that is what the "commercial support enquiries" channel is for, to find a suitably qualified developer to make these changes for you.

For reference, going from the 2.2 to 2.3 series (including design and porting addons) could be as much as months work. Or could be as little as 10 minutes work. It all depends on how modified your existing site is.

Going from the 2.2 series to the 2.3 series is not straightforward. You have pretty much only 1 option;

1. update the database to 2.3.3.1 standard. This adds the necessary extra bits to your existing database meaning you don't lose clients/orders/categories/products and so on.

2. install 2.3.3.1 fileset (and link it to the datsabase you updated)

3. reskin the new 2.3.3.1 to match your older site (or of course refresh the look to something new)

4. install any required addons (some of which, if they have Database entries, may not need SQL changes, only fileset changes

If none of that made sense, then this job should not be tackled by you, and that is what the "commercial support enquiries" channel is for, to find a suitably qualified developer to make these changes for you.

For reference, going from the 2.2 to 2.3 series (including design and porting addons) could be as much as months work. Or could be as little as 10 minutes work. It all depends on how modified your existing site is.

For 1. update the database to 2.3.3.1 standard. This adds the necessary extra bits to your existing database meaning you don't lose clients/orders/categories/products and so on.

How to update the database to 2.3.3.1 standard? Does it mean install the fresh database for 2.3.3.1? Or converting my existing database to be 2.3.3.1?

If you want to update your old site, then you will have to do it incrementally one version at a time. 2.3 , 2.3.1 , 2.3.2, 2.3.3 and then 2.3.3.1 OR if you instead choose to do it the way Burt explained then start by looking at this: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8731

If you want to update your old site, then you will have to do it incrementally one version at a time. 2.3 , 2.3.1 , 2.3.2, 2.3.3 and then 2.3.3.1 OR if you instead choose to do it the way Burt explained then start by looking at this: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8731

Which way is easier vs time? Upgrading incrementally one version at a time? or Burt's way? Are there any documentation showing how to upgrade incrementally one version at a time? Thanks!

When you are as far back as 2.2 , I would say usually Burts way is the fastest/easiest. If you wish to use the incremental way, you simply download the different versions and inside each you will find an upgrade manual.

When you are as far back as 2.2 , I would say usually Burts way is the fastest/easiest. If you wish to use the incremental way, you simply download the different versions and inside each you will find an upgrade manual.

But from Burts way, For 1. update the database to 2.3.3.1 standard. This adds the necessary extra bits to your existing database meaning you don't lose clients/orders/categories/products and so on.

How to update the database to 2.3.3.1 standard? Does it mean install the fresh database for 2.3.3.1? Or converting my existing database to be 2.3.3.1?

If you need to ask that question, you are out of your depth.

For reference; if you install a fresh database for 2331, then you will be working on a new install. Which is not your desired aim.

Sorry, it's my first time to do an upgrade for oscommerce so I might have some stupid questions. How can I convert my existing database to be 2.3.3.1 compatible?

• 4 weeks later...

i am also at 2.2RC2 and need to upgrade. i have absolutely no experience worth mentioning with databases (despite the fact that i was a tester for a company that made email software, which meant installing multiple complex SQL and Oracle instances, and then running tests against them), and i don't know where to start.

i'm looking for recommendations on what to do next. i would appreciate any input. thanks.

⇑ Hybrid Elephant ⇒ http://www.hybridelephant.com/ ⇐ The World's Finest Exotic Incense ⇓

method 1. download each version of oscommerce after 2.2RC2 and follow the upgrade docs included one by one until you are up to the current version. method 2. start over with a fresh install of the latest version and import over info from the old db. method 3. modify the old db to "conform" with the latest version and then start over with a new install of the newest version followed by changing the configuration files to use your old db.

• 3 weeks later...

method 1. download each version of oscommerce after 2.2RC2 and follow the upgrade docs included one by one until you are up to the current version. method 2. start over with a fresh install of the latest version and import over info from the old db. method 3. modify the old db to "conform" with the latest version and then start over with a new install of the newest version followed by changing the configuration files to use your old db.

So I believe method 1 is the best solution for me as I already have some addon for my current site. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Archived