• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Alternative for PayPal?

zeus_r6

We have two osC stores and an eBay store in which we're constantly dealing with scammers who exploit the buyer protection program and PayPal is costing us tremendous losses based on this. What alternatives are out there that work well with osC for accepting online payments?

Thanks in advance

@@zeus_r6

osCommerce is bundled with more than 20 available payment processors, I suggest you do some research and figure out which is best for your company. I personally had to switch to an Payflow gateway offered by my bank because of the number of scammers that use PayPal. My Payflow gateway does not allow disputes or chargebacks so when I sell my virtual goods, the sale is final.

Chris

I'll speak with our bank tomorrow as we're in the thousands of dollars lost in the past couple weeks and PayPal is making ridiculous decisions favoring the scammers every single time. Just did a quick search in google and cannot believe some of the horror stories I'm reading.

This is interesting to say the least:

screw-paypal.com/pdf/toolkit_pro.pdf

If you send an item by a recorded method of delivery you are better protected with paypal. The customer will find it hard to say they have not received the items when a signature is required.

You may also find that a new processor will be cheaper than paypal.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

@@14steve14

You may also find that a new processor will be cheaper than paypal.

My Payflow gateway is much more expensive than PayPal was, but considering the thousands of dollars I lost using PayPal, this processor will pay for itself each year. Also, those who sell virtual goods have NO protection under PayPal's seller policy.

Chris

So are there any PayPal-like third party processors you can recommend? I don't want to be handling CC numbers on my site and have to get PCI-DSS certified. PayPal used to be a good deal, but I'm hearing more and more that they always take the customer's side in disputes. Chris mentioned Payflow, but after a quick glance at their site, it sounds like they're a conventional payment gateway (to your merchant account), which would require PCI-DSS certification. Is there anything as convenient as PayPal, that doesn't screw the merchant every time?

Are certain businesses more vulnerable to scammers than others? I think I've heard of jewelry and high-end electronics being particularly targeted.

So are there any PayPal-like third party processors you can recommend? I don't want to be handling CC numbers on my site and have to get PCI-DSS certified. PayPal used to be a good deal, but I'm hearing more and more that they always take the customer's side in disputes. Chris mentioned Payflow, but after a quick glance at their site, it sounds like they're a conventional payment gateway (to your merchant account), which would require PCI-DSS certification. Is there anything as convenient as PayPal, that doesn't screw the merchant every time?

Are certain businesses more vulnerable to scammers than others? I think I've heard of jewelry and high-end electronics being particularly targeted.

It looks like payflow is a go between which is governed by PayPal policies which in turn will still allow you to be scammed.

• 2 weeks later...

Which gateways are compatible with both oSC and eBay? The only one I can find so far is authorize.net

Try Propay. They're cheaper than Paypal as far as overall costs of a single transaction and they're an approved eBay form of payment

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a decent volume every month, you must refrain from ewallets like Paypal.

I would recommend you a direct Merchant ID with a reputed Processor.

if you fall under low risk business category, my suggestions would be to go with the following processors and integrate the merchant account with Authorize.net gateway.

CDG Commerce

Heartland Payments

North American Bankcard

Merchant Warehouse.

Archived