• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Server overloaded

LotusE

Hi everyone,

I received a mail from my provider today stating that my oscommerce webshop was overloading the server. Apparently, a whole lot of sql statements were executed. This is part of the sql log file:

Kill 472827 terter_webwink Query 0 Sending data SELECT count( * ) AS total

FROM products p, products_to_categories p2c

WHERE p.products_id = p2c.products_id

AND p.products_status = '1'

AND p2c.categories_id = '883'

Kill 472832 terter_webwink Query 0 Sending data SELECT count( * ) AS total

AND p2c.categories_id = '811'

Kill 472837 terter_webwink Query 0 Sending data SELECT count( * ) AS total

AND p2c.categories_id = '212'

Kill 472843 terter_webwink Query 1 Sending data SELECT count( * ) AS total

AND p2c.categories_id = '853'

Kill 472844 terter_webwink Query 0 Sending data SELECT count( * ) AS total

AND p2c.categories_id = '263'

Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

Thanks for the help!

Cheers Steve

@@LotusE

It could be anything from a persistent SE bot, to someone running a script on your site. If your hosting provider has account limitations, change hosting providers. There are MANY that have NO limitations and are reasonably priced.

Chris

My provider has blocked the ip-adress from which the queries were sent. This will solve the problem for now, but I don't think that's a definitive solution, because today they can change ip-adress and then the whole story just starts over again.

Is there any way to find out what script they are running? I suppose I can't do anything against a bot?

I'm using oscommerce online Merchant 2.3.1, are there any known security issues with this version?

Cheers

Steve

You should get the IP they blocked from your host to see if you can find anything out about it. It may be a data skimmer and some of those allow a friendly way to block all of their IP's. Or you may find they are from a country you have no intention of selling to so you can just block the whole country. Switching to a host that has unlimited whatever is not a good solution. Besides it being impossible, most hosts have TOS's that will not allow your site to run when it loads the server as yours is doing, regardless of the limits. And even if you went to a dedicated server where that would not be a problem, this problem would still persist and it would slow your site down. So you should fix the problem, not sidestep it. You can also install the View Counter addon that will give a tally of the IP's hitting your site. This can allow you to get rid of some of them before they become a problem.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

From the queries, it sounds like a poorly written product information skimmer or site consolidator (e.g., from a price comparison site). It would be fine to block its IP address at the .htaccess level, at least for the time being until you can find out more about it. As Jack said, maybe there's a way to configure this particular bot so that it can get the information it needs (you may want to be included on its price comparison site) without bringing your server to its knees.

• 1 month later...

Archived