• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Development] USPS Shipping Module

kymation

@@Supertex  You're welcome to learn PHP and join in the fun if you want to. But don't discount your help in debugging/testing, as that is essential as well.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

• 1 month later...

Jim, thanks for the many great modules you've developed. As a software engineer I truly appreciate your hard work AND your documentation!

I have downloaded the current version (0.8) and the installation instructions refer to the superfish categories box. I checked 0.7 and they are the same. Can I simply use an older version of the install manual and the files from the current release?

Thanks in advance, Dave

It appears on 5/31/15 the next change is being implemented. Here's the email message that I received from USPS Webtools Support:

Hello,

Thank you for using USPS Web Tools.

We would like to remind customers that on May 31, 2015 at 12:01 AM, CST USPS Web Tools will be implementing modifications and additional features to the U.S. Postal Service APIs. The following changes may especially impact shipping systems:

• Origin ZIP Code required for Priority Mail International to Canada
  • Modified special services
  • Modified service IDs
  • Modified available mail classes for Merchandise Return Services

Updated release notes (version 1.1) are now available on the Web Tools home page at USPS.com/webtools under the Web Tools Announcements section. Included in the release notes are the URLs of the staging environments, which are now available to developers for testing.

To receive future Web Tools updates, follow us on Twitter @USPSWebTools. If you have any questions, encounter any issues, or have any feedback, please let us know by simply replying to this email.

Thank you,
USPS Web Tools Program Office

@@davidcthursby  I haven't written the instructions yet, so there is nothing available. It's nearly the same as any other module: Just upload the files and install in your Admin panel under Modules >> Shipping. There is one extra step: After you have it installed, edit the settings and enter your USPS Web Tools username and save. You can then edit again and set up the services you want.

@@nepm  Nice of them to give us a whole week's notice. I doubt I'll have any time to work on anything this week; I'm swamped again.

Regards

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

I installed the module and it is working fine with domestic services, but cannot get any international service to come out.  What could it be?

Another thing, I do not know if related.  I was not able to find any info on the domestic and international zip and country.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Arturo Duncan

Please read the notes on the Addon page and the first post in this thread. Use development code at your own risk.

Regards

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for getting back to me.  Yes, I am very aware that this is a development version.  I was just wondering if there is any insight on the issue.  The domestic shipping appears to be working very good, it is just the international not showing up.

Just let me know if you think that there is something that I can check.

Arturo Duncan

No, the international problem is a known issue. It doesn't work, and it won't until I have time to look at the problem. Also, some of the Domestic services may not show up, since the USPS now limits me to requesting only 25 services at a time and they have at least 28. I just need to find some time to work on this.

Regards

Jim

• 4 months later...

Hello,

Im Confused on the way you install the module. When I installed this module it didnt come with the files that the User Manual said i needed if you could help me out I would be very pleased

Thanks,

Mark

First, this code is still under development. If you want production code, please use one of the other USPS modules in the Addons section.

If you still want to play with this one, all of the files that you need are included in the distribution package.

Regards

Jim

• 1 month later...

And the wonderful USPS has decided to change things yet again. During the Christmas season. Well, just after it anyway -- the deadline is January 17. You can get the change documentation here.

The major change seems to be that they are changing the name of Parcel Post Standard Post to Retail Ground. Apparently they really hate this service class. Not to mention their customers.

I really need to finish this module.

Regards

Jim

• 1 month later...

I've uploaded a new version. The changes are:

1. Completed the International quotes section. This should now work.
  2. Improved the error reporting email. The Request and Response are now sent as XML attachments. The best way to view these is to save them as Request.xml and Response.xml and then view them in Firefox or Chrome.
  3. Fixed some small bugs in the installer.
  4. Updated the User's Manual. This should now be usable.

I would appreciate any and all bug reports. @@nepm, @@burt, and anybody else who has some time, please test this. I'd like to get it in shape to release before the USPS drops their next bomb, or soon afterwards if possible. I'm going to keep working on it, but I can't do everything.

Regards

Jim

I've uploaded a new version. The changes are:

1. Completed the International quotes section. This should now work.
  2. Improved the error reporting email. The Request and Response are now sent as XML attachments. The best way to view these is to save them as Request.xml and Response.xml and then view them in Firefox or Chrome.
  3. Fixed some small bugs in the installer.
  4. Updated the User's Manual. This should now be usable.

I would appreciate any and all bug reports. @@nepm, @@burt, and anybody else who has some time, please test this. I'd like to get it in shape to release before the USPS drops their next bomb, or soon afterwards if possible. I'm going to keep working on it, but I can't do everything.

Regards

Jim

Sucks to be on a path all on your own :(

Installation Manual refers to "Superfish", so I have guessed that the files included are the only ones that need to be amended ...

Thanks for working on this Jim.  Will test eventually here.  We're still in the holiday mode with post Christmas parties, family and family gatherings etc for a while.  :)

Regards

Jim

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

@@burt  You have an old version. The current one actually says USPS Codes and Version 0.9. I checked the download and it's the latest version.

The "quoted price of zero" email happens when a service errors out. This is usually caused by requesting quotes for Parcel Post Standard Post Retail Ground (or whatever the name is this week.) That service is usually not available and generates an error. Take a look at the attached Response file and search it for the word error. That will tell you which service is really causing the problem. There may be more than one.

Thanks to everyone who is testing this. I'll do my best to keep up with the bugs. I would like to get this out before the USPS makes there next big change. We only have a week, so this may be too quick, but I'll try.

Regards

Jim

That’s the right version of the software. Apparently I used an old version of the manual. Sorry about that. In any case, the install is pretty easy, and it looks like you have it installed correctly. I'll have to try to figure out why you are getting the error emails without having any errors in the response. Looks like you found a bug....

Regards

Jim

Just a note for people use the older MS2.2 / Rc2a USPS V4 module there are service name changes to Domestic you will need to make changing Standard Post to Retail Ground.  It will be in several places in the code.

Uninstall and reinstall to test.   Don't forget to keep your USPS ID to add back when you reinstall.

See https://www.usps.com/business/web-tools-apis/2016-jan-webtools-release-notes.rtf

Other changes (Flat Rate boxes as a container) do not seem to impact the old module.

Switch your current module to $usps_server = 'stg-production.shippingapis.com' to test impact

I only see one spot where it needs to change:

this is what I am using:

/*
USPS Rate V4 Intl Rate V2 - v.1.7
  $Mod: Changed from Parcel Post to Standard Post 20130129 Kymation $
  $Mod: USPS API changes 20130729 Kymation v 1.3 $

Copyright (c) 2012 osCbyJetta
Released under the GNU General Public License
*/

and on line 269 I see:
         } elseif ($request_type == 'Standard PostRM') {
            $service = 'PARCEL';
thats the only instance.. should there be more??

And if I make the change prior to the switch on the 17th will the module still work now?

Debbie D
Franklin County, VA "Moonshine Capitol of the World"
osCmax Mobile Template oscmaxtemplates.com