• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

PayPal Website Payments Standard - IPN error

otgrouch

I only just recently started receiving emails from PayPal with the following message:

Please check your server that handles PayPal Instant Payment Notifications (IPN). IPNs sent to the following URL(s) are failing:

https://twosrus.com/catalog/ext/modules/payment/paypal/standard_ipn.php

If you do not recognize this URL, you may be using a service provider that is using IPN on your behalf. Please contact your service provider with the above information. If this problem continues, IPNs may be disabled for your account.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this issue.

I have never gotten this error before and coincidentally it follows on the heels of the required changes to conform to new USPS package labeling standards. The site was running error free through 7/27, and has started getting numerous IPN retries as of 7/28.

The only files I touched on the 28th were admin/functions/general.php and modules/shipping/usps.php and I can't see anything in those that would affect the payment handoff.

Any ideas?

I would go back and take a hard look at the functions/general.php to see what and where you added/removed whatever you did.. you did back that file up before making the changes right?????

Debbie D
Franklin County, VA "Moonshine Capitol of the World"
osCmax Mobile Template oscmaxtemplates.com

Of course I did. The changes made to function.php had to do with the ups module. I'll look that file over again, but the site is performing flawlessly with the exception of these IPN error emails (the IPNs eventually go through, they just seem to be taking their time and bouncing back and forth before they do).

After last weeks usps cf, paypal acts up. I wonder if these are are related.

I got the same message from paypal today as referenced above. The file path paypal is calling for doesn't exist.

It appears as if the underscore in paypal_standard_ipn.php has been replaced with a forward slash.

When I look at server logs, I can see where it's failing, and it started right after usps was fixed.

I was hoping to ignore it till Monday.

I have chosen to ignore it unless PayPal actually takes action against me for too many bounces (not likely, but with them you never know). My IPN notifications eventually do go through - they just take a few times.

Here is what I get. It isn't updating the orders. I have a db configuration issue with paypal anyway, and wondered why it ever worked.

I don't even have the paypal_standards_ipn.php file. I have 5 other paypal files though

paypal_direct.php

paypal_express.php

paypal_standard.php

paypal_uk_direct.php

paypal_uk_express.php

66.211.170.66 - - [03/Aug/2013:23:12:55 -0400] "POST /ext/modules/payment/paypal/standard_ipn.php HTTP/1.0" 404 613 "-"

66.211.170.66 - - [31/Jul/2013:19:11:00 -0400] "POST /ext/modules/payment/paypal/standard_ipn.php HTTP/1.0" 404 613 "-" "-"

173.0.81.1 - - [06/Apr/2013:17:33:48 -0400] "POST /ext/modules/payment/paypal/standard_ipn.php HTTP/1.0" 200 - "-" "-"

I have no idea on how the last example from April ever worked, and worked right until the usps fix of last week.

I have a very messed up paypal module, and it is surprising it even worked at all.

There are two modules installed

PayPal Website Payments Pro (US) Direct Payments - this module is not enabled but it has the API username, API password and API signature.

PayPal Website Payments Standard - this is enabled but the ENABLE_ENCRYPTED_WEB_PAYMENTS is set to false and the five fields referring to the following are blank.

Your private key

Your public certificate

PayPals public certificate

Your PayPal public certificate ID

Working directory

The sixth field is OpenSSL and it has the value /usr/bin/openssl

Until last weeks this module was working, but now PayPal can't find the standard_ipn.php file even though it could before, when the file standard_ipn.php didn't exist. I know it sounds crazy, but I can see in the server logs where it was working. In my post above, see the April server log. There was no standard_ipn.php so how can paypal give a 200 file found?

I would like to use PayPal Website Payments Standard, with encrypted web payments. How does one get the private and public keys referenced above?

I am a bit hesitant to blow out these modules and start fresh when they are accepting payment, and the only downside is the threatening emails from paypal. Do they eventually cut you off? I know something is wrong here and calling paypal yielded no useful information.

Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated.

I take it you are not using 2.3 version because in 2.2 I have a folder called ext/modules/payment/paypal/standard_ipn.php on my server. If you go here http://www.oscommerce.com/Products and go to the bottom of the page and download a copy of 2.2 you will see that the file exists and should therefore be in your version.

If you also have the text ENABLE_ENCRYPTED_WEB_PAYMENTS in capitals like this you probably have a language define missing or incorrect.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

• 3 weeks later...

Steve - an update on what happened. Yes I have 2.2RC2a and that file, standard_ipn.php was missing from the ext/modules/payment/...

In fact the paypal folder was missing as well and paypal instant payment notification was working fine with my botched up paypal modules until the latest USPS c/f, when as soon as I get that working, the paypal warning emails started coming.

The text ENABLE_ENCRYPTED_WEB_PAYMENTS was in the configuration table but after I uninstalled PayPal Website Payments Pro (US) Direct Payments it dissapeared. I also took that module off the server and added the /paypal/paypal_standard_ipn.php to the ext/modules/payment folder path.

So, paypal still works but the instant payment notification doesn't. What I didn't do, is uninstall then reinstall the paypal standard module.

Eventually the emails stopped and on random infrequent occasions a purchase will go through and there will be no update as to order status. When that happens, I manually update it.