• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

An error occured with the USPS shipping calculations.

AquaticTerrain

We've upgraded osCommerce from 2.2ms2 to 2.3.3.

If I de-select one or more of the of the following (only these) "Domestic Shipping Methods" in the image file

attached within the "shipping module":

- Priority Mail Padded Flat Rate Envelope Hold For Pickup

- Priority Mail Gift Card Flat Rate Envelope

- Priority Mail Gift Card Flat Rate Envelope Hold For Pickup

- Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Envelope

- Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Envelope Hold For Pickup

- Priority Mail Window Flat Rate Envelope

- Priority Mail Window Flat Rate Envelope Hold For Pickup

I receive the following error:

An error occured with the USPS shipping calculations.

If you would like to use USPS as your shipping method, please contact the

store owner.

post-323004-0-11900100-1374871554_thumb.png

I had the same problem back in January with the changes that were implemented then. For me, it became a "game" of trial and error, deselecting options and reselecting them one at a time to see which basically crashed the site when deselected. It was time consuming, but I finally found the right combination of selected options.

USPS has now implemented their July changes to their rates and services. There is currently no module that works properly with all services. You'll probably have to wait a few days for a working version.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

Yes, I agree that's the situation. The problem is, Jim is all our eggs in one basket?

I am very, very grateful that he's taken up the challenge, but seriously - I've searched every thread on the oscommerce forum. There seems to be about a dozen of us (perhaps a few more) who are complaining about USPS. What's with that? Isn't OsCommerce the pre-eminent open-source e-commerce system? Are there no more than 1-2 dozen people affected by this? Is there only one person attempting a long-term solution (kymation) and only one person looking at a short-term fix (bkpie)?

I have to tell you, I'm a bit dis-heartened at this. Or perhaps I'm totally ignorant and the vast majority of OsCommerce users are doing something else of which I'm not aware?

Hi Tom,

There is always only one would say a big thanks to Jim for taking on the problem with the help of a few other community members even noticed a few members from different shopping carts who are pulling there weight testing etc.. together to try and solve !!

If USPS decide to change there code I think complaints should be directed to there website for not providing a decent working code as they obviously knew that many online businesses would be affected.

Guess it is not only oscommerce that is having problems but better said the majority of online retailers.

So all in all guess you are lucky that kymation took on this problem maybe a small donation for his time and work would be applicable.

Regards

Joli

Edited by joli1811
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

@@TomB01

I think that the twice-yearly thrash has driven a lot of people away from the USPS modules. Or away from USPS in general. I'm hoping that a less fragile module will bring some of them back. We'll see.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

Hi Tom,

There is always only one would say a big thanks to Jim for taking on the problem with the help of a few other community members even noticed a few members from different shopping carts who are pulling there weight testing etc.. together to try and solve !!

If USPS decide to change there code I think complaints should be directed to there website for not providing a decent working code as they obviously knew that many online businesses would be affected.

Guess it is not only oscommerce that is having problems but better said the majority of online retailers.

So all in all guess you are lucky that kymation took on this problem maybe a small donation for his time and work would be applicable.

Regards

Joli

@@TomB01

I think that the twice-yearly thrash has driven a lot of people away from the USPS modules. Or away from USPS in general. I'm hoping that a less fragile module will bring some of them back. We'll see.

Regards

Jim

By all means, I am totally grateful to kymation (Jim). I am looking forward to his results and pledge to help in whatever way I can. Seriously, though, are you saying that all other OsCommerce users (beside the 1-2 dozen that seem to be complaining) have switched to something other than USPS? I find that hard to believe, but maybe I'm naïve.

Anyway ... I certainly want to declare my thanks to Jim ... as I did with fulluvscents and wkdwich a year or two ago. I've been running OsCommerce and USPS Methods since 2006 and would've thought that a more permanent solution - or many more people complaining - would've happened before now.

I received an e-mail from B.M.J. of the US Post Office:

Web Tools Customer,

USPS will release updates to the Web Tools APIs on 28 July 2013. The staging environment is currently open for testing your updated applications. You may review staging information and the release notes at the USPS Web Tools site here for more details.

If you rely upon a third-party developer (e.g. software or ecommerce/cart provider) for USPS products and services on your website or your shipping application, please direct any application-specific questions to them.

For questions and concerns, please contact our customer support at 1-800-344-7779 or [email protected].

Regards,

Web Tools Program Office

Needless to say, I replied to him from my personal e-mail and suggested that many of us were up in arms about another change that literally "breaks" our webstores. Yet, I can't help but be a bit surprised that there's not more of an outrage on the OsCommerce forums, etc.

Well, I will continue to stay tuned unless there's something else out there that I'm not aware of ...

Edited by TomB01