• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

order confirmation email not received

mustang62

One of my clients contacted me saying that she is not receiving the order confirmation emails as she used to. I checked the admin panel and they are all listed there. I set up her store admin to send extra confirmation emails to 3 other email accounts (all different servers). None of these accounts received email confirmations as well. This is all of a sudden. No changes were made to the site and no new products were added. Could it have something to do with the web host? Maybe they updated or upgraded their system and it affected oscommerce?

Did you checked your error log files on your hosting panel?

What was your last changes on the page maybe language files?

What osC version are you running?

• 3 weeks later...

If you believe that the fault lies wiyth oscommerce hare you sent a support ticket with full details of what is and isnt happening.

Oscommerce works out of the box, the emails are all sent, so I would assume that it is something that has either been altered in the code, or there is some setting with the hosts that ias preventing things from working.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Apparently this plague of a problem is not problematic enough to get the development team involved. Come on people, this is what gives open source a bad name.

Hi,

SILLY PERSON never noticed a new plague of problems with emails just false data in the admin so would think the dev team have better things to do than work on a non existent problem!!

Regards

Joli

PS:I sometimes come across a bad server config !!!

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

Hi,

What on earth are you doing ??

Here are the sessions settings in the Configurations tab:

Session Directory /path/to/the/website.com/store(I changed this from catalog)/includes/work/

Just weird no wonder you get probs did you remember to change in the database ?

Hi,

What on earth are you doing ??

Here are the sessions settings in the Configurations tab:

Session Directory /path/to/the/website.com/store(I changed this from catalog)/includes/work/

Just weird no wonder you get probs did you remember to change in the database ?

@@joli1811 Interesting tip with the sessions directory. I'll give that a try now. What would someone need to change in the database?

Cheers,

DesertCoder

By any chance are these emails suddenly ending up in junk/spam/bulk email folders? Maybe, due to some idiot you share your server with sending out spam, your server is now on a spam blacklist? Sometimes you'll get bounces back that state why an email wasn't delivered, but other times emails will vanish into thin air. If that's the case, get your host involved in tracing what happens to emails. Your email recipient may have changed something at their end that now results in emails being rejected. Is there anything in common with recipients who no longer receive emails? Has your host changed the rules, such as reducing the caps on emails per minute and per hour?

That would be the development team that put out software that 1000s of shops successfully use that none of them paid a penny for. And because you have some random server related problem your reaction is to expect the osCommerce development team to ask "how high" when you say "jump". Yes?

The joy of Open Source is such that when problems crop up, you are expected to find a fix. Never ever rely on anyone else including the experts that brought you the software.

@@joli1811 Interesting tip with the sessions directory. I'll give that a try now. What would someone need to change in the database?

Cheers,

DesertCoder

@@DesertCoder

in the database/ configuration.... you could check if the Session Directory is correct about line 148 in standard install

check the Cache Directory while you are there anyway line 136 standard install

Regards

Joli

@@burt That's not entirely fair. Not everyone who uses osc is capable of troubleshooting code. I'm about a mid-level PHP programmer and this store often has me scratching my head long before I figure things out. I have Googled this email issue many times and the number of please from people for a solution is large. This particular problem has me hamstrung on not one store, but four. This is an area that needs serious help.

@@MrPhil Though we receive the emails after doing a test transaction, I did check the spam folders, and nothing is sent to us during real transactions. Again, the only difference between the test transaction and a real one is the credit card number. The biller, CCBill, provides test credit card numbers to use on their system.

Could this be an SMTP/sendmail issue? If so, where would one look on the server end?

Many thanks.

Cheers,

DesertCoder

Though we receive the emails after doing a test transaction, I did check the spam folders, and nothing is sent to us during real transactions. Again, the only difference between the test transaction and a real one is the credit card number. The biller, CCBill, provides test credit card numbers to use on their system.

Can you think of any other differences between the (successful) test transactions and the (unsuccessful) real transactions? In the tests, did you actually access the store from some remote PC on a different ISP, and email back to an address not on your server or associated with your site, or was everything happening within your server?

My question about the spam folders was for your customers who are expecting emails -- are your outgoing emails ending up in their spam/bulk/junk folders? If your server is on a spam blacklist that could happen. If your return address does not match the sending IP address, and your return address account does not give permission (SPR record?) for your store to send mails using its name, some (inbound) mail systems will discard them as spam.

Could this be an SMTP/sendmail issue? If so, where would one look on the server end?

See the above issues I quoted. Maybe something there will cause a lightbulb to go on over a tech's head.

@@MrPhil Thank you for the thorough reply, let me answer your questions in order. All test transactions are performed on my PC, I access the store, log in to my store account then complete a test transaction using the test credit card numbers CCBill provides. The person who owns the store requested to have store emails sent to their Gmail account. I did set up an email account on their server (store@@website.com), and it is in the list of addresses under configuration > My Store > Send Extra Order Emails To. However, I also have two of my own emails in that list, one goes to my dedicated server and one to an ancient Yahoo webmail account. When I run a test, all of those addresses receive the emails. My client has a shared hosting package with Host Gator, that is where the store is. My server is with Lunar Pages, and the final stage of the transaction takes place on CCBill's website, then is redirected back to the store after 3 seconds.

Regarding spam folders, we have checked everything and no emails are showing up there. Again, the test transaction emails go through A-OK, I get them on my dedicated server and at my ancient Yahoo webmail, everything arrives in my inboxes,, not into spam folders. I'll call hostgator again and see if they have anything to tell me.

Many thanks!

Sincerely,

DesertCoder

Any idea how "test" credit cards are handled differently from "real" credit cards? Do they generate different kinds of email responses (from CCBill)? Will CCBill swear that test and real accounts are handled exactly the same (from the viewpoint of the store and customer)? I'm wondering if because a credit card isn't actually charged, and the merchant account doesn't receive funds, that a slightly different path is being followed than with a real credit card. As presumably most CCBill customers have it work correctly, that would suggest a minor error in your CCBill configuration. All I can suggest at this point is that you work with CCBill to go over everything with a fine-toothed comb. For example, is CCBill expecting your interface with it to be in any particular encoding? I would presume that some text (alpha) data would be going to them (customer name and address). That begs the question: why the difference between test and real? Is the test customer information all ASCII and all real orders are UTF-8 (accented characters, etc.)? Do you have any indication from CCBill, the merchant account, or the customers that real money is being transferred and only the email(s) are missing? That would suggest that the process is getting all the way through (from CCBill's perspective) without error, so the problem is strictly on the store email-sending end. Have you tried placing a test order with exactly the same name and address as you use in placing a "real" order for something?

As you can probably tell, I'm getting into wild hand-waving territory here. I would first confirm with CCBill that they are actually receiving the orders and processing them, and real money is going from the credit card company to the bank. If test order emails come through, it sounds like any callback from CCBill must be working. For test CC's, does CCBill come back looking exactly like a successful real CC charge, or are there subtle differences, perhaps in the wording of any message?

@@MrPhil I spoke with them again today. Just now I got an email from my client saying another store purchase was made and no email was sent from the store. I got nothing either.

They do handle it exactly the same, they apparently have these special numbers in their system that allow us to process transactions.

There is no CCBill configuration/encoding, the whole thing works off of the module written for osc by a third party (which is why this is so infuriating, why doesn't a company with CCBill's wealth not write their OWN store package?!?!?!?!)

I have been using the SMTP setting for the past few days because this problem started when the default sendmail setting was active. Seems to make no difference. Here are th esendmail and SMTP settings from the server_info page:

sendmail_from no value no value

sendmail_path /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i

SMTP localhost localhost

I read somewhere that there should be an anti-spam flag for sendmail, -f which this server clearly does not have in place, and I'm also assuming this has to be changed in php.ini. What do you think?

Many thanks!

Sincerely,

DesertCoder

No idea about the sendmail configuration. The thing is, if it successfully sends for test purchases, it ought to work for real purchases. That's why I'm wondering if there's something "just off" in your configuration that when CCBill returns, it's handled correctly for what comes back from a test charge but what comes back from a real charge is just a little different?

I would suggest "instrumenting" the code to report what's going on upon return from CCBill, and make a small test purchase with a real CC. Follow the path through and compare it to what happens with a test CC purchase. Also check with your credit card to see if there was a charge made. Don't forget to get your client on board so they refund your purchase (outside of CCBill -- you don't want to be flagged as a problem customer) and don't ship. If there is a code problem, my guess would be that it's most likely in the CCBill-specific module, so I'd look there first.

Is it only some purchases that don't get emails, or all purchases? Is the customer also not getting any confirmation email, or is it just you and the store? Does the purchase actually complete (payment made, shipping notifiied) except for the email issue?

• 1 month later...

Has anyone been able to resolve this issue? About the same time period, our confirmation emailshave become difficult - sometimes they are

1) sent to the customer as well as copied to the in-house people

2) sent to the customer and not copied to the in-house people.

3) not sent to anyone.

We're using PayPal not CCBill.

I'd appreciate any help.

Archived