burt

Feedback for BURT, for osCbooks, for oscTemplates, for 28DofC

59 posts in this topic

Open invitation for comments on my service as a freelance developer. Please do post your comments if I have ever done any work for you on your osCommerce shop.

I am also happy to receive comments from buyers of my oscBooks, and my oscTemplates. I look forward to hearing your views or constructive criticism on these products.

--

Please do not post questions or enquiries here. You can get in touch via my community profile where you can find my contact details.

Edited by Harald Ponce de Leon
Fixed tags

The Design 2.3.x (good for osCommerce versions 2.3.1 thru 2.3.4) eBook was extremely helpful to me in gaining a much better understanding of how the layout and design coding works in 2,3.x.

Gary's instructive style is easy to follow it's more like he's having a conversation with you than giving a lecture.

There's plenty of "how-tos" in the book. Once you compete the book you'll have a much better looking and functioning site.

Gary has provided our small company excellent service since December 2011. He handled the development of our osCommerce site from the start. His work is fast, thorough, inventive and very reliable. We are very pleased with both Gary and our osCommerce store. He's the person I contact when I need any work done on our site.

Burt has recently assisted with a crucial function that my client was missing, in an extremely swift and efficient manner...

I will definitely return to him should I have any further osCommerce-related requirements.

It's been a pleasure!

Gary has been assisting me with all my oscommerce problems & queries since June 2012.

No matter what the problem - from small questions through to big, complex programming and upgrading jobs and even creating within oscommerce to tailor to my specific needs.

Gary is always extremely quick to respond, very efficient, very knowledgeable and professional and can be totally relied upon.

I always turn to Gary now no matter what the job entails as I have complete confidence that he will do the job and do the job perfectly.

I cannot praise the work highly enough.

Thank you Gary :thumbsup:

Although I have been working 7+ years on osc still loads to learn I just want to say buying Burts book was the the best value / investment I made in along time.

An incredible price (just a tenner) for a wealth of information on the 960 grid and loads of design.tips.

Within an hour or so I was pushing / pulling just shoving things where I wanted :P

http://www.oscommerce.com/Services&books&oscbooks

It really saved me hours/ days of trail and error and Gary, being very active on the forum was always available and willing to answer any questions I had.

Thanks Burt still owe you that barrel of beer :thumbsup: .

Regards

Joli

Edited by joli1811

As usual another great book from Gary.

Very good design, good explanation, and all that for a incredible price.

It is a great help for me, as a new starter, to learn and understand the code and create my first shop.

I recommend the book to anyone who whish to start and learn oscommerce.

Keep up the good work Gary and we meet again on your next book V3.0. :)

Greetings from Belgium

Mon

I've 'known' Gary for a number of years now, when I first came across his services and ebooks for osCommerce.

I've learnt so much from the ebooks on how to work with the design of osCommerce on the earlier versions to todays, there's no way I would have done so much without them.

With regards to the service he provides, it's nothing short of excellent. emails are answered promptly and his fees are very competitive, especially given his deep seated knowledge of osCommerce.

Why risk your design and programming with anyone else?

I have been using osC for a long time now and am the kind of person that likes to try playing with code herself wherever possible, however, it soon became clear that my limited coding knowledge was never going to be sufficient in setting up and modifying my shop in the exact way that I wanted it to be.

I have hired quite a few other developers in the past, none of whom matched my expectations either in terms of work quality or customer service.

I have met Gary back in 2011 and decided to hire him initially for a template purchase/installation. The experience has been, and still is to this day, nothing short of outstanding.

Emails are replied to very quickly, help, explanation and advice are always given with incredible patience, and the work is always carried out in the shortest possible time, with great attention to detail and with everything working exactly as it should.

The work I have hired him for ranges from upgrading my old 2.2 shop to the 2.3 version, to template installation and design work, to securing of website, to custom coded modifications/addons, to general fixes, personalisations and configurations of certain features.

I have bought his ebook as well, which I find contains tons of useful tips and tricks for anyone like me who's interested in learning the mechanics of osC.

In the past I also bought his "osCommerce on localhost" package, a hassle free, super easy way of quickly installing osC on your home computer, which has been of invaluable help for me.

In short, what Gary provides can be resumed in 3 simple phrases:

• fast, quality service
  • outstanding knowledge and advice
  • great honesty

And all this at very reasonable fees.

I can only wholeheartedly recommend him.

I have used Gary for two custom coding jobs.

On both occasions we had a good email conversation clarifying the scope of each job.

A schedule and delivery date was agreed upon, which was achieved in both cases.

Neat efficient coding was used in order to accomplish the task.

Gary is an excellent choice if you are looking to get some custom coding done.

I've known Gary for quite a while. Great ideas, great insight. I bought a couple of his ebooks way back when, one on speeding up osC and one on SEO for osC. Both were very helpful. The ideas in the SEO one helped us repeatedly get first page Google rankings on seasonal key words and phrases.

-jared

I have been running Oscommerce since 2006 and first employed Gary to update my stores to be compatible with PHP 5.4. All went smoothly and I was impressed by his care and the total understanding that there could be minimal downtime. In fact ultimately there was none. The host upgraded and everything kept buzzing along as if nothing had changed.

I then wanted to create a new function in the shops which required a significant amount of coding and some careful planning. Gary executed some beautiful code which seamlessly merged with the shops, both in the admin and the front end and has lead to a significantly improved user experience and increased sales.

Along the way I asked lots of questions, changed my mind more than once (sorry Gary) and was always met with useful answers that were about the best function and safest coding rather than a quick fix.

Gary understands Oscommerce back to front, top to bottom and if I need something done he is the first person I would ask.

Gary is great to work with, loads of patience, efficient, quick and there doesn't seem to be anything he doesn't know about OSC or can't do.

He has rebuilt my site, added additional funtionality, incorporated Mailchimp, which is brilliant for emarketing and I would recommend his addon for this to anyone wanting to exploit emarketing, and continues to offer support.

Anyone looking for help should go to Gary, I would be lost without him.

Thanks Gary for being a genius and even coping with the odd girly panic!

Andrea

Rist let me say that Gary is awesome. I purchased Penny template. Gary was so very helpful. I really like Penny template because it is clean and pleasing to the eye. I am a novice and this is my first store. If Gary had not helped me, my website would be a mess.

If anyone needs help, Gary is the guy to go to.

Patricia

Gary has been awesome! I opened my business a little over three years ago and Gary was recommended to me by a friend that also uses Gary for his website. We spoke a little bit about what I needed my site to do and what customization I would need.With Gary's experience we would go over what options were available and what looked to work best. My site launched with no problems what-so-ever.

Since then I've leaned on Gary a number of times for enhancements that have made my business run even smoother. It's never a problem and once we identify what it is we are going to do Gary has always made the modifications very quickly. Just recently we've added a blog (WordPress) to our site. Again, a very painless process.

I'm a novie when it comes to websites and Gary has proven to be an invaluable resource. Whether it's offering advice or even walking me through what now seems like the most mundane tasks. I've recommended Gary to a number of people and will continue to do so. Gary made the process of opening my own business a little less stressful. For all the things that can go wrong on a daily basis the one thing I've never had to worry about was my website.

I was very worried at first but Gary has been swift in his responses and made my website transition a smooth one. I will surely get back to him and recommend other to him.

Hi Everyone,

I'm actually Troy's Friend (Fanboy). We have been using OSC since 2005 and our website was really dated and our old programmer retired (he was actually old). LOL. So we emailed several OSC programmers and went with Gary. I'm really glad we did. We came to him with a very specific design and idea that we wanted to implement for our new website. Gary was very easy to work with and was able to interpret our vision into the website we run today. He has been extremnely reliable and honest. Very fair as well. Since he installed our website, it runs beautiful without any problems. When our ISP or a 3rd party company updates their software and we have to update our code, Gary has always been there for us. Evey update has been smooth. Our company has been in business for 25+ years and we always value communication / service. Gary is Fantastic. I can not recommend him enough to anyone who needs work done in OSC. When people ask us "who did your website?", I have no problem giving them Gary's info. :)

Thanks,

Mike

When I started of in 2004, I started to learn oscommerce using his ebooks.

Since then, I learned a lot about osCommerce and take care of most things myself.

However I try not to reinvent the wheel, and rather use properly designed code supported by professionals like burt.

Whenever I need some expert advice or coding done, he's top of my list.

Gary is excellent, does exactly what he says he'll do, when he says he'll do it. Couldn't ask more,and personally I feel finding him was a bit of a god send. Whilst I'm not using OS Commerce right this moment, I will again one day and will Gary will be my first call if I need help. So thanks Gary, and good for you for having such a wicked work ethic, I wish all my suppiers were the same.

Gary is a genius!

Having previously been burned by so called web developers promising the moon and stars only to leg it when things got a little complicated and I wanted custom coding done for our site. He is very professional and always meets his deadlines and is very clear when explaining/trashing out ideas for possible solutions. Having no expierence with coding or oscommerce I would often come up with crazy mad ideas of what I would like my site to do in the back end and Gary has delivered every time. He has saved me thousands of €€€€ by manipulating OS Commerce to achieve the same goal of tracking available stock than having to install a full Epos system then having to integrate with OS Commerce.

So thank you Gary and I look forward to working with you very soon. I have some more mad ideas!

Edited by Mac Fly

Gary is real responsive and real efficient. He always achieve the goals. His services are first-class!

Another product I purchased from Gary is the SEO in Oscommerce ebook. Recently updated to cover the 2.3 series up to and including 2.3.3 this book explains various dos and don't and how tos for SEO. Included is a bundle of SEO update files that you can add to your shop right now. Very well done and as always written for every level: seo dummies <--> seo pros.

There is nothing that I can add to the rest of the comments.

I am also adding a "thumbs up" for Gary

Well what can I say that has not already been said? Gary’s help is always appreciated. Gary gives a prompt reliable service even into the evening. Well done Gary! Keep up the good work.