• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Redirecting customers to shop from domain name

zefeena

Hi, I'm sure this is something really obvious, but hopefully someone can quickly point this out! When I type: www.mydomain.co.uk it foes to my hosts holding page. How do I get it to automatically go to www.mydomain.co.uk/catalog without actually typing the 'catalog' bit - or is it a case of redirecting everyone to it? Thank you

Running a botched up version of  osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.4 bootstrap with the dresscode theme installed, numerous add-ons, terrible coding, terrible website, but will have to make do until I have made up for my losses and can risk shutting down for a couple of weeks while I start all over again. - I did not install my program but am endeavouring to fix it with your help.

You could use htaccess redirect or even better simply move your shop to the root of the domain.

Ha, don't even mention moving the files. I just don't get this 'root' thing. I have uploaded the files about 20 times and they just kept going in the wrong place or failing. I have the worlds worst internet connection and have already lost a sizable portion of my life, so they are staying where they are! I really thought they were in the right place as I copied the positioning from my other website and that is fine. Maybe that one re-directs. I'm not sure.

Running a botched up version of  osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.4 bootstrap with the dresscode theme installed, numerous add-ons, terrible coding, terrible website, but will have to make do until I have made up for my losses and can risk shutting down for a couple of weeks while I start all over again. - I did not install my program but am endeavouring to fix it with your help.

If this is an "Apache" server (it will be if you're on a "Linux" server), edit or add the following file /.htaccess --

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond  %{REQUEST_URI}  !^/catalog  [NC]
RewriteRule  ^(.*)$  /catalog/$1  [L]

That's the ".htaccess" file in the site root. Note the period in the name.

If you're on a Windows server (e.g., IIS), you'll have to find out from someone familiar with that server how to do it.

BTW, it's best to leave your shop in its own folder/directory (/catalog), so that you can easily add other applications (forum, gallery, blog, etc.) in the future without applications stepping on each other.

Archived