• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Who would like to see a dynamic MoPics?

dreamscape

after needing screenshots for my website, I found mopics to be the best solutions... though I hated putting in each image twice (one for big and one for small)... with 8 screens and a boxshot, that was 20 image paths I had to type in for each product! All my images follow the same pattern, so I came up with a script where I only have to define the thumb in admin and the rest of images are dynamically found by the product info page. I was also tired of 8 different popup windows, so I have just one that gets the right screen to show.

I name my images like this:

thumb: thumbs/IMAGE.jpg

thumb big: images_big/IMAGE.jpg

screen1 thumb: thumbs/IMAGE_screen1.jpg

screen1 big: images_big/IMAGE_screen1.jpg

etc, etc...

I haven't written it up as a contribution yet... thats why I am posting here. If there is a good amount of people wanting or looking for this type thing (where you ONLY have to define the product thumbnail in admin and the other images are pulled dynamically and shown), then I will contribute it...

it is completely dynamic, so you can practically come up with naming system you want:

example:

thumb image: IMAGE.gif

thumb big: images_big/IMAGE.jpg

additional thumb: images_big/IMAGE_1.gif

additioanl pic big: IMAGE_2.jpg

as long as your images follow a naming system, where they are all based on the thumb (eg. IMAGE.jpg, IMAGE_something1.jpg, IMAGE_something2.jpg, etc.) then this would work for you..

you have to upload your images yourself, and the big images have to be in their own directory in the images folder (some people prefer it like this though).

This shows up on the page just like MoPics... you can choose how many images to show in each row and the MAX number of images to show.

so if anyone is interested, please let me know and I will package it up.

The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing

- Edmund Burke

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be rather handy to have.

Now I take it in the Admin ... you do not see anything on the images at all? Or you just load the first one then manually load the rest?

And ... does the preview show all of the images? Or just see it in the Catalog after the first image is added and you upload the others via FTP?

That would be rather handy to have.

Now I take it in the Admin ... you do not see anything on the images at all? Or you just load the first one then manually load the rest?

And ... does the preview show all of the images? Or just see it in the Catalog after the first image is added and you upload the others via FTP?

you just see the 1st image... the regular product thumb. there is no manually loading of the rest...t hat's why I created this... I grew tired of manually loading 20 images for each product, esp since they all followed a pattern.

the preview in admin would only show the regular image thumb... the other images would then show themselves in the catalog if they exsist (after you FTP them up).

I think it makes it quite nice and you can add extra images on the fly without having to go into admin... just make your pics and upload them and viola, they are shown in the catalog.

- Edmund Burke

it can be seen in action one the new site I am building:

http://www.madmacgames.com/mac_game.php?na...&products_id=65

all of the products are using the dynamic moPics... also if you notice the popups all use the same popup_image.php. no need for 8 or 10 different popup files now.

Linda has shown her interest, so I will pack it up... just wanted to see if there was any interest so I didn't waste my time as I have in the past. OK.. gonna pack it up and ship it off now.

- Edmund Burke

Hi, I believe I followed all of the instructions correctly, however, instead of a picture in my product info page, all I see is coming soon!

Did I go wrong with the extentions somewhere??? Also, I am not sure exactly where to put the lines for product info... in the instructions, all it says is the "appropriate section"..... what line would that be?

Hi, I believe I followed all of the instructions correctly, however, instead of a picture in my product info page, all I see is coming soon!

Did I go wrong with the extentions somewhere??? Also, I am not sure exactly where to put the lines for product info... in the instructions, all it says is the "appropriate section"..... what line  would that be?

if you see "coming soon!", then that mean the script is not finding your iamages... so either you did not configure correctly, or didn't name and place the images where you told the script they were.

please post here what your naming scheme is, and then what your dynamic MoPics lines from configure.php look like.

- Edmund Burke

:D  Fellow Mac user?

hehe, has a bit of a XP feel to your site though  :wink:

no not a fellow Mac user yet... XP users... I hope to be a fellow mac user someday. Just can't afford it right now...

yeah it does have a bit of an XP feel to it... but then XP has a bit of a mac feel to it as well... there is definately a little mac influence in the XP gui (in the silver one, no the god awful fisher price one) :wink:

- Edmund Burke

XP is not really that bad. I use it at work on occasion and don't make fun of M$ as much :D

Yeah, apple hardware is still a bit pricey. I pinched and saved for my iBook ... wanted the Ti though :(

Here's something that caught my eye a while ago ... makes you wonder ...

: - P --> + OSX --> OSX: - P - OS --> X: - P - : - ---> XP ....any coincedence of M$ playing a funny on Apple :wink:

@ GUI

I sort of like Apple's eye-candy and M$ fisherprice ... maybe it's because I stare at a screen too much everyday and those colors lessen eye strain.

@ Site

I do like the feel to your site and it renders no problem with Camino 0.7.0!

NewsDesk(934) / FAQDesk(1106) / OrderCheck(1168) :::

@ Site

I do like the feel to your site and it renders no problem with Camino 0.7.0!

Is Camino 0.7.0 a mac browser?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Camino used to be called Chimera which is lite weight and pretty fast Mozilla tweaked version for macs.

So yes.

Another name to watch out for is Safari which is Apple's version of Konquer.

NewsDesk(934) / FAQDesk(1106) / OrderCheck(1168) :::

Another name to watch out for is Safari which is Apple's version of Konquer.

yeah... quite a few of my firends have macs... next time I'm over there I'll be sure to check the site on Safari and make sure its renders well on it.

- Edmund Burke

I guess it would be pretty important to verify that a Mac Game site would be properly viewed through the most popular Mac browsers. :wink:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Did I go wrong with the extentions somewhere??? Also, I am not sure exactly where to put the lines for product info... in the instructions, all it says is the "appropriate section"..... what line  would that be?

if you see "coming soon!", then that mean the script is not finding your iamages... so either you did not configure correctly, or didn't name and place the images where you told the script they were.

please post here what your naming scheme is, and then what your dynamic MoPics lines from configure.php look like.

Dreamscape, It looks like I was getting the coming soon! message because I did not have an additional picture(s) uploaded. So would it make sense then, to leave:

define('TEXT_NO_MOPICS', 'coming soon!'); blank so that it reads:

define('TEXT_NO_MOPICS', ''); in application_top.php instead??

That way, for products that don't have extra images, it would not show the "coming soon" message?

Also, I am still not sure if I am supposed to replace the original pop-up image section in /catalog/products_info.php with the lines from your install file, or whether your install lines are for the "additional" images only.... other words, do I leave the original coding intact and just add your lines where ever I want the additional images to show up???

I.E.

Do I replace Line 89 in catalog/product_info.php from this:

<tr>

<td align="center" class="smallText">

<script language="javascript"><!--

document.write('<?php echo '<a href="java script:popupWindow('' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_POPUP_IMAGE, 'pID=' . $product_info['products_id']) . '')">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $product_info['products_image'], addslashes($product_info['products_name']), SMALL_IMAGE_WIDTH, SMALL_IMAGE_HEIGHT, 'hspace="5" vspace="5"') . '<br>' . TEXT_CLICK_TO_ENLARGE . '</a>'; ?>');

//--></script>

<noscript>

<?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $product_info['products_image']) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $product_info['products_image'], $product_info['products_name'], SMALL_IMAGE_WIDTH, SMALL_IMAGE_HEIGHT, 'hspace="5" vspace="5"') . '<br>' . TEXT_CLICK_TO_ENLARGE . '</a>'; ?>

</noscript>

</td>

</tr>

To This?:

<tr>

<td>

<?php include(DIR_WS_MODULES . FILENAME_DYNAMIC_MOPICS); ?>

</td>

</tr>

Or do I just add your line anywhere on the page where I want the additional pics without modifying the original coding?

PS. this is an awesome contribution! It is so much simpler than installing the original (and equally awesome) mo-pics!

I love your site, too bad I never touch the mac...

But anyway, kind of off-key, but related to your site,

I've been wanting to do exactly the same thing you did with contact_us.php

I wanted to make the email to which a form is submitted be selectable as the first listbox on the form...

IE: Sales, Support, Webmaster

will all submit to a different email address.

IS that what you did? Could you give me some details on that?

If you don't wish to place anything off-note on this forum could you talk to me through my email?

bra ndon @ cook ssaw.com (remove the spaces plz)

Thanks

Everyone for your support.

- - - -

Sometimes, ignorance is bliss.

Dreamscape,  It looks like I was getting the coming soon! message because I did not have an additional picture(s) uploaded.  So would it make sense then, to leave:

define('TEXT_NO_MOPICS', 'coming soon!'); blank so that it reads:

define('TEXT_NO_MOPICS', ''); in application_top.php instead??

Yes if you don't plan on adding additional pictures for each product, then it would make sense to make the TEXT_NO_MOPICS blank.

Also, I am still not sure if I am supposed to replace the original pop-up image section in /catalog/products_info.php with the lines from your install file, or whether your install lines are for the "additional" images only.... other words, do I leave the original coding intact and just add your lines where ever I want the additional images to show up???

I.E.

Do I replace Line 89 in catalog/product_info.php from this:

<tr>

<td align="center" class="smallText">

<script language="javascript"><!--

document.write('<?php echo '<a href="java script:popupWindow('' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_POPUP_IMAGE, 'pID=' . $product_info['products_id']) . '')">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $product_info['products_image'], addslashes($product_info['products_name']), SMALL_IMAGE_WIDTH, SMALL_IMAGE_HEIGHT, 'hspace="5" vspace="5"') . '<br>' . TEXT_CLICK_TO_ENLARGE . '</a>'; ?>');

//--></script>

<noscript>

<?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $product_info['products_image']) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $product_info['products_image'], $product_info['products_name'], SMALL_IMAGE_WIDTH, SMALL_IMAGE_HEIGHT, 'hspace="5" vspace="5"') . '<br>' . TEXT_CLICK_TO_ENLARGE . '</a>'; ?>

</noscript>

</td>

</tr>

To This?:

<tr>

<td>

<?php include(DIR_WS_MODULES . FILENAME_DYNAMIC_MOPICS); ?>

</td>

</tr>

Or do I just add your line anywhere on the page where I want the additional pics without modifying the original coding?

you just place the php include mo pics lines where you want the additional images to appear. there is no need to modify the code for the product thumb you define in admin. The new popup_image.php takes care of sorting all that out and showing the correct big image :)

- Edmund Burke

Hi Dreamscape,

Ok, I have checked everything and it appears to be working exactly as you said.

Only thing I noticed is that, when I delete "coming soon!" from:

define('TEXT_NO_MOPICS', 'coming soon!'); it doesn't appear to do anything at all. I looked to see if any files call TEXT_NO_PICS but was not able to find any php commands that called to this.

I had to go into dynamic_mopics.php and delete "coming soon" from the bottom of that page where it looks like its written as regular text...

<tr width=100%>

<td align="left" class="smallText">coming soon!</td>

</tr>

Was there supposed to be some dynamic PHP Coding there instead?

whoops...

that was supposed to have been <?php echo TEXT_NO_MOPICS; ?> instead of 'coming soon!'. I thought I changed it before I uploaded. my mistake.

do u have a URL I can check it out (I love to see my contributions in action)? If u don't want to make it public but wouldn't mind PMin it to me, that'd be great as well.

- Edmund Burke

Hi Josh,

I would love to show you my site, only problem is that I am still building it with your contribution, off-line on my local machine.... However, Once I get the everything completed with the new ms1 release, I will upload to replace my current old snapshot os oscommerce at: www.toplandtrading.com. Feel free to check that out... It should be similar once I am done with the remake...

-Ant

I just modified the product_listing.php module myself...

just stripped it down and made it how I wanted it. but I think there is a contribution to do it though.

- Edmund Burke

I followed the install very closely but got the following error message;

Parse error: parse error in /www1/mysite.com/html/catalog/product_info.php on line 217

I am not sure why I would get this message:

I looked at the code and it appears that I have the original mopics installed (I am using a phesis load which someone else installed for me). Could that be screwing everything up? If so should I remove the code for it and replace it with yours?

Also I may not be clear on where the new image directories are supposed to go and may not have named everything correctly. Would that cause a parse error?