• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

View Counter

Hi @@Jack_mcs, I'm back again :D

In the meantime I installed a fresh copy of osC 2.3.3.4 and installed View_Counter on top of that.

Strange enough I still have the same problem: Monitor page doesn't work.

Added ALL the possible modifications I found in this section (trail and error) and still no good.

The other parts of View_Counter seem to work fine.

Checked everything again and again......

Can you please help me here?

Thanx in advance

Kees

The code works with that version so it must be something related to your server, though I don't know what that might be.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

The code works with that version so it must be something related to your server, though I don't know what that might be.

Okay @@Jack_mcs, That will be some heavy searching for me :P

In the meantime I wil have to do with the parts that do work...

Thanks for your replies!

Kees

It depends upon the settings. View Counter uses two tables to store data. One is for temporary data that is deleted every-so-often to keep the response time down. Before its contents are deleted, they are copied to the other table. That table will be flushed too at some point. When these tables get cleared is determined by the Force Reset and Force Reset Storage settings. You can have them to never delete, though I wouldn't suggest that for the first table. If you don't have a busy site, you can leave them active for longer. But if your site is busy, the sizes would get very large, very quickly. I installed this into a very busy site and the storage table reached a GB in just a few days.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

• 2 weeks later...

Jack,

When selecting a country to block in tools then submit query it goes to the tools selection with out adding country to the banned list.

I had selected three countries at some point prior and it added those.

Thanks

Ken

The latest php version is always best since It contains any security patches. But not all shops/addons will work with 5.4 so you need to test it first before upgrading. As far as I know, View Counter will work with 5.4 though I've not tested it.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hmmm replied earlier but not showing up.

View counter seems to be working fine with 5.4+, Country blocking is still no joy though, perhaps that can be added through the data base instead.

Just got an order in under 5.4 so the store and mods seem to be ok with it as well.

The code may not be working with 5.4. If the code in admin is failing to record the countries you want to block, then the code on the shop side that does the actual blocking will probably fail to. You can edit the database to add which countries you want to block but if the code on the shop side is failing, it won't matter. May be worth a try though. I plan on setting up a test shop running 5.4 so I can test such things.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Tried 5.3 something as well, the default PHP that had been working and it failed to add any additional countries as well.

Almost impossible to say what and/or when it started, one makes changes and it's almost impossible to test every avenue, even then, who did what?????

Just have to live with it I guess.

Jack,

Believe it is banning new ones, just not updating the data base with the country name.

When you ban a country and a IP comes in from that country, when it is banned does it go into the banned list viewable in the View Counter?

Pretty sure I see more then there was before from that country in it.

Edited by Ken_Shea

OK, not sure if my recollection is incorrect or if is dealing with banned IP addresses differently.

Seems it used to delete the banned IP address from the page listing when "ban" was selected.

My imagination?

Thanks

Edited by Ken_Shea

Ken: There are changes in the unreleased version that may fix the problems you are having. Since you ordered the installation from me, I'll send you the details of those changes.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 2 weeks later...

IP's are not assigned by country so there can be some overlap. But when something like that happens, it is usually because the person is using an IP to try to hide his original one, either on purpose or just because he has an account with a host in a different country. The code used to determine the location is different for different parts of the monitor, thus the different results.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack,

Is there a way when clicking on the "?" in the list of IP's to use another IP information service site rather then "Arin Who Is", other then using a service independent of View Counter.

More often then not Arin Who Is seems to give no useful information as to where the IP is located.

Generally showing similar to this.

Thanks

Ken

#

# ARIN WHOIS data and services are subject to the Terms of Use

# available at: https://www.arin.net/whois_tou.html

#

#

# Query terms are ambiguous. The query is assumed to be:

# "n 208.115.111.71"

#

# Use "?" to get help.

#

#

# The following results may also be obtained via:

# http://whois.arin.net/rest/nets;q=208.115.111.71?showDetails=true&showARIN=false&ext=netref2

#

dotnetdotcom.org 208-115-111-64-28-DOTNETDOTCOMDOTORG (NET-208-115-111-64-1) 208.115.111.64 - 208.115.111.79

Wowrack.com WOW-IPV4-NET2 (NET-208-115-96-0-1) 208.115.96.0 - 208.115.127.255

#

# ARIN WHOIS data and services are subject to the Terms of Use

# available at: https://www.arin.net/whois_tou.html

#

Hello.

My View Counter behaves like there is nobody online every time I check it. Who's Online add-on shows people online. View Counter doesn't show any errors. I've setup an account with "IP2Location" and entered my API key into admin. I really don't know what can be wrong. I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

Assuming you've enabled it in the settings, I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work short of not being installed correctly. If you are able to look at the view counter table in the database and it is not empty, that will show it is working on the shop side but not the admin side though, again, I can't even guess at why that would be the case. All I can suggest is that you run back through the instructions to be sure something wasn't missed.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Both tables, view_counter and view_counter_storage have data in them, but nothing is showing in admin. I checked the instructions again, and everything seems to be fine. I even updated the view_counterDB.BIN database, but still, nothing is showing on the Monitor page, even the bots. I can view the different counter reports on the Reports page, though.

Edited by Irin

It seems the problem is in your admin but I can't think of anything that would cause entries not to display. I suppose something is being recorded incorrectly for some strange reason but this isn't something I can solve in a support thread.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons