• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Forum Rules Update (10th May, 2013)

What bothers me is the fact that professionals like you seemingly don't find it useful, or necessary, to support this project even though they have been making money for years out of it, and even though the cheapest sponsorship plan costs as little as 10 Euros per month. Moreover, they post into their addons what I personally see as commercial advertisements.

I simply asked if that was allowed ot not.

I never questioned the quality of your work as I am not competent to do that, I am sure others would do that a lot better than myself, and I never questioned the quality of your support either.

I guess we have different definitions of support. In my mind, I support more than the majority of members. If it weren't for addons and the free help given here, the package would not ever be successfull.

I dodn't mean to say you were questioning my work or support, just that you were igorning it in your determination of what is considered support of oscommerce.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Posted · Hidden by Harald Ponce de Leon, May 20, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Harald Ponce de Leon, May 20, 2013 - No reason given

@@Biancoblu :

Jack_mcs :

offre, à titre gracieux, à cette communauté, depuis des années, des choses qui sont bien plus importantes que le pognon : son temps et son talent.

d'ailleurs, tu oublies de souligner que dans la même présentation de sa contribution, il a également ajouté un lien direct vers ce forum pour le support sans aucune condition financière.

moi ce qui me choque dans ta démarche : la délation que tu opères sans aucune vergogne et distinction.

tu aurais été un excellent agent de la Stasi. tu me fais me vomir.

Hi All,

Well just what I said earlier guess the pandoras box has now been opened !!

How to make a rules that fits all cases is not going to be possible the only thing that will work is the common sense of all members and maybe a definition of working in the interest of the community. no doubt in my mind that the work and time that Jack has put into the community is worth more than any sponsorship plan actually I think it is guys like him that keep the community alive.

This is really a case in my opinion of what Harald said earlier.

"Again, not each issue brought to our attention is a black and white issue. This is why "may" is used and not "will".

So lets hope common sense prevails over any attempt to impose black and white rules in a world that is not black and white.

Just to many rules everywhere nowadays and no common sense.

Regards

John

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

@@Biancoblu :

Jack_mcs :

offre, à titre gracieux, à cette communauté, depuis des années, des choses qui sont bien plus importantes que le pognon : son temps et son talent.

d'ailleurs, tu oublies de souligner que dans la même présentation de sa contribution, il a également ajouté un lien direct vers ce forum pour le support sans aucune condition financière.

moi ce qui me choque dans ta démarche : la délation que tu opères sans aucune vergogne et distinction.

Stuck the above into a translator incase others only speak english on english forums

offer, free of charge, to the community for years, things that are more important than the dough: his time and talent.

Besides, you forget to note that in the same presentation of his contribution, he also added a direct link to this forum for support without any financial situation.

me what shocks me in your approach: informing that you operate shamelessly and distinction.

you would have been an excellent Stasi agent. you make me sick me.

Have to agree with this.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Are you proposing some one buy it and review it and see if there are really GPL issues involved rather then just taking his word for it (especially given some of the controversy surrounding this individual).

I'm more than happy to test this if someone has purchased an addon from this individual then send it over and I'll review it for any violations and will happily upload it to the addons section

Mark Evans

osCommerce Monkey & Lead Guitarist for "Sparky + the Monkeys" (Album on sale in all good record shops)

---------------------------------------

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free. (Linus Torvalds)

@@foxp2

@@Biancoblu :

Jack_mcs :

Tu peux peut-être jouer au petit caïd sur ton forum Français mais rentre-toi bien une chose dans la tête: ici tu vaux pas mieux que quelqu'un d'autre, alors ne te permets en aucun cas de m'insulter en me traitant d'agent de la Stasi parce- que je constate que Jack poste des annonces commerciales dans ses addons et parce-que je DEMANDE si cela est permis. Pour qui tu te prends exactement? le détenteur de la Vérité?

Alors ferme ton clapet 2 secondes et ouvre bien tes écoutilles: continue à te comporter comme un gosse de 5 ans et demi et tu verras bien ce qui risque de te tomber sur le coin.

@@14steve14

Translation of my reply to Foxp2:

Maybe you can act like a boss over at the french forum but get something into your head: here you're not worth more than anyone else, so don't you dare insult me by calling me a Stasi agent just because I point out the fact that Jack posts commercial advertisements into his addons and because I ASK if this is allowed. Who exactly do you think you are? The beholder of the Truth?

So shut your mouth for 2 seconds and listen carefully: keep on acting like a 5 and a half yearold kid and you'll soon see the consequences.

@@All reading, including you Steve:

I will not accept any insults coming from any of you, your acting that way doesn't make you look very clever, on the contrary, so think carefully before hitting your "add reply" button.

@@Harald Ponce de Leon

just making sure get to read this.

~ Don't mistake my kindness for weakness ~

@@joli1811

Hi All,

Well just what I said earlier guess the pandoras box has now been opened !!

How to make a rules that fits all cases is not going to be possible the only thing that will work is the common sense of all members and maybe a definition of working in the interest of the community. no doubt in my mind that the work and time that Jack has put into the community is worth more than any sponsorship plan actually I think it is guys like him that keep the community alive.

This is really a case in my opinion of what Harald said earlier.

"Again, not each issue brought to our attention is a black and white issue. This is why "may" is used and not "will".

So lets hope common sense prevails over any attempt to impose black and white rules in a world that is not black and white.

Just to many rules everywhere nowadays and no common sense.

Regards

John

I never questioned Jack's work and the time he's put in here, all I asked is "is it allowed to post commercial adverts into addon descriptions".

Surely you understand that if some members are denied posting commercial adverts whether in posts or sigs whilst others are allowed it in addons descriptions, there must be something wrong, or not?

@@Harald Ponce de Leon

@@Biancoblu

les menaces de bannissement de ce forum n'ont strictement aucune influence sur moi, qu'elles proviennent de toi (qui n'a aucun pouvoir) ou bien directement de l'équipe.

tes maigres 50 euros, que tu as donné pour être "community sponsor", n'atteindront jamais la moitié du quart du tiers de ce que les développeurs ont donné pour le projet osCommerce.

et contrairement à toi, qui ne fait parti de rien, l'équipe osCommerce France, m'a recruté dans leur équipe, il y a 3 ans, malgré tous mes défauts, pour tout ce que j'avais / j 'ai / j'aurai à offrir au projet osComlmerce, et que tu ne seras jamais capable de donner - même dans 10 ans.

alors oui, je l'affirme à nouveau : pour les nazis, tu aurais été un excellent agent. honte à toi d'être ce que tu es !

@@foxp2

@@Biancoblu

les menaces de bannissement de ce forum n'ont strictement aucune influence sur moi, qu'elles proviennent de toi (qui n'a aucun pouvoir) ou bien directement de l'équipe.

tes maigres 50 euros, que tu as donné pour être "community sponsor", n'atteindront jamais la moitié du quart du tiers de ce que les développeurs ont donné pour le projet osCommerce.

et contrairement à toi, qui ne fait parti de rien, l'équipe osCommerce France, m'a recruté dans leur équipe, il y a 3 ans, malgré tous mes défauts, pour tout ce que j'avais / j 'ai / j'aurai à offrir au projet osComlmerce, et que tu ne seras jamais capable de donner - même dans 10 ans.

alors oui, je l'affirme à nouveau : pour les nazis, tu aurais été un excellent agent. honte à toi d'être ce que tu es !

I will not bother to translate this nonsensical talk much less Laurent's delusions of grandeur, saying how much he's worth and how little I am worth.....too much waste of energy.

Anybody reading the above is free to run it into a translator.

I will nevertheless translate the best bit which is priceless:

pour les nazis, tu aurais été un excellent agent. honte à toi d'être ce que tu es !

Tranlation: "you would have been an excellent Nazi agent, shame on you for being what you are"

I will not bother to reply to anymore of your provocations Laurent, you simply aren't worth it.

@@Harald Ponce de Leon

still making sure you don't miss any of these vicious attacks towards me

@@joli1811

I never questioned Jack's work and the time he's put in here, all I asked is "is it allowed to post commercial adverts into addon descriptions".

Surely you understand that if some members are denied posting commercial adverts whether in posts or sigs whilst others are allowed it in addons descriptions, there must be something wrong, or not?

Hi Isabella,

I understand perfectly what you mean and agree that you have a made a good point that was going to be made sooner or later by somebody either with good intentions or bad intentions yours being as I see it with good intentions.

That there is something wrong I agree but not with Jacks offer of installation help !

Here comes the common sense who better to help somebody with an installation than Jack the creator of the addon lot better than some unknown freelancer.

Think it is actually an nice service offer.

I for one, after having thought a while about Haralds reply, would say lets keep the lid on the box and leave it to the discretion of the team to decide what crosses that grey line the word he used in a slightly different context was "MAY act " small word but nice meaning.

At the end of the day I do think rules should be used as guide lines but not as infallible truths.

@@multimixer

It's good also that they are in such a "vague" form with no point systems and such, I trust the forum moderators will use them with caution researching each case carefully

PS: should not have been slaps point system I meant to say spanking point system :)

Bye the way my history lessons always taught me that Switzerland was renowned for being neutral so not sure which planet Laurent is on at the minute.

Regards

John

@@Harald Ponce de Leon

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

always taught me that Switzerland was renowned for being neutral

si on commence à rentrer dans les clichés .... ça peut aller loin.

les personnes les plus importantes sur ce forum ne sont pas ceux qui donnent de l'argent, mais bien celles qui donnent :

- de leurs temps

- de leurs énergies,

& celles qui partagent leurs connaissances techniques depuis de nombreuses années.

Le perroquet helvétique décérébré, qui pour faire son intéressante, sur des sujets dont elle n'a aucune maîtrise, devrait commencer à respect les développeurs - et leurs propos, si elle souhaite que l'on ait autant de respect pour elle.

Hors, ce n'est en aucun cas un fait établi.

En aucun cas, je ne viendrai critiquer de la qualité ou de la beauté des bijoux qu'elle vend sur sa boutique : la raison est simple : je sais rester à ma place.

Par contre, lorsque je connais un sujet, tel qu'osCommerce, je suis libre de faire des constats sur des faits avérés, et non pas comme la plupart, simplement donner une opinion.

Fondamentalement, la démarche est différente.

Il faut vraiment être stupide pour de ne pas savoir faire cette différence.

@@joli1811

I just believe in there being a rule that is followed by everybody, how fairer than that can you get?

I agree that nothing is black or white, but if for example the rules clearly state that "commercial adverts aren't allowed either in posts, signatures, or addons" then that is clear and then people are free to follow the rules or not, then take the risk of possibly being reprimanded. The same applies to the opposite. ie: if the rules state that "commercial adverts ARE allowed", so much the better for those benefiting it.

At present there are no rules regarding addons, hence my asking.

Bye the way my history lessons always taught me that Switzerland was renowned for being neutral so not sure which planet Laurent is on at the minute.

it's actually quite simple, Laurent has been (for a while now) on the "I hate BIancoblu" planet. :D

@@Biancoblu

que tu pointes les dérives commerciales de certains 'rapaces' ne me dérange pas.

que tu choisisses (au hasard ou pas) Jack me fait gerber.

il ne mérite pas que tu l'épingles, après tant d'années de dévouement pour osCommerce.

à l'avenir, essayes de mieux choisir tes cibles.

(et stp, ne me prêtes pas des sentiments que je n'ai pas, il faudrait que tu es un peu plus d'importance dans ma vie pour qu'ils naissent, hors ce n'est pas le cas.Ici, tu n'es que Lambda, tout comme moi)

You can post as many insults as you like, I'm here to translate them because see, they are of interest to people who are still in doubt over what kind of person you really are. :thumbsup:

@@foxp2

si on commence à rentrer dans les clichés .... ça peut aller loin.

les personnes les plus importantes sur ce forum ne sont pas ceux qui donnent de l'argent, mais bien celles qui donnent :

- de leurs temps

- de leurs énergies,

& celles qui partagent leurs connaissances techniques depuis de nombreuses années.

Le perroquet helvétique décérébré, qui pour faire son intéressante, sur des sujets dont elle n'a aucune maîtrise, devrait commencer à respect les développeurs - et leurs propos, si elle souhaite que l'on ait autant de respect pour elle.

Hors, ce n'est en aucun cas un fait établi.

En aucun cas, je ne viendrai critiquer de la qualité ou de la beauté des bijoux qu'elle vend sur sa boutique : la raison est simple : je sais rester à ma place.

Par contre, lorsque je connais un sujet, tel qu'osCommerce, je suis libre de faire des constats sur des faits avérés, et non pas comme la plupart, simplement donner une opinion.

Fondamentalement, la démarche est différente.

Il faut vraiment être stupide pour de ne pas savoir faire cette différence.

TRanslation of the best bit:

The mindless Swiss parrot, who posts just to look interesting over subjects she knows nothing about, should start respecting the developers and their opinions, if she wants respect in return.

@@Harald Ponce de Leon

for you to read the neverending insults coming from this sorry individual.

@@Biancoblu

que tu pointes les dérives commerciales de certains 'rapaces' ne me dérange pas.

que tu choisisses (au hasard ou pas) Jack me fait gerber.

il ne mérite pas que tu l'épingles, après tant d'années de dévouement pour osCommerce.

à l'avenir, essayes de mieux choisir tes cibles.

(et stp, ne me prêtes pas des sentiments que je n'ai pas, il faudrait que tu es un peu plus d'importance dans ma vie pour qu'ils naissent, hors ce n'est pas le cas.Ici, tu n'es que Lambda, tout comme moi)

mais mon cher, si je n'ai aucune importance dans ta vie, arrête de me harceler.....tu sais ce que c'est que le cyberstalking? non? oh mais attends, il me semble me souvenir que tu ne savais même pas ce que c'est qu'un fork.....ah oui, tu est vraiment un expert :D sur ce, sujet clos, comme tu te plais à le dire si souvent

My dear, if I have no importance in your life, then stop harrassing me, you know what cyberstalking is? no? oh but wait, if I remember correctly you didn't even know what a fork is, oh yes, you really are the expert :D end of discussion, as you like to say so often.

@@Harald Ponce de Leon

ce n'est pas à toi de dire si cette discussion est close ou pas, tu n'en as pas le pouvoir.

maintenant, je te mets au défi, dans ce forum, ou ailleurs, de trouver un seul de mes propos ou je pourrais prétendre d'être un expert.

mais une chose est sure : toi tu n'es experte qu'en cyber-bêtise profonde comme il m'a été rarement donné de rencontrer sur internet.

merci pour les crises de fou rire ! (w00t)

ce n'est pas à toi de dire si cette discussion est close ou pas, tu n'en as pas le pouvoir.

maintenant, je te mets au défi, dans ce forum, ou ailleurs, de trouver un seul de mes propos ou je pourrais prétendre d'être un expert.

mais une chose est sure : toi tu n'es experte qu'en cyber-bêtise profonde comme il m'a été rarement donné de rencontrer sur internet.

merci pour les crises de fou rire ! (w00t)

Tu sais lire Laurent?

Sujet clos.

Can you read Laurent?

End of discussion

Hi All..

This topic was locked last night due to inappropriate behaviour. Several postings in this topic were removed and Laurent (foxp2) received a 48 hour suspension and final warning due to his behaviour.

Criticism is welcome and can be part of a good discussion as long as it is constructive and progresses the discussion further. "Name calling" and "personal vendettas" not only stop the discussion from progressing, it is also inappropriate and intolerable in this community.

Please also do not judge someone for not being a Community Sponsor. Community Sponsorship is not a requirement. Community members are welcome to provide value by other means (Add-Ons, support in the forum, feedback, ...).

Back on topic.

• Commercial advertisements are not allowed in Add-On descriptions. Developers are however welcome to promote their commercial services and donation links in the documentation inside their Add-On download package.
  • Add-Ons must have code and functionality included.
  • Functional demos or light versions are also welcome as long as the code for the functional parts are included.
  • Add-Ons without code or require an external download for functionality are not allowed.

:heart:, osCommerce

Functional demos or light versions are also welcome as long as the code for the functional parts are included.

The "light version" is not clear to me. Does this mean that part of an addon can be excluded? For example, one of my addons has a reports section with five reports. Are you saying that could be changed to four reports and have the fifth say something like, "Only available in the paid package."? I'm no expert in open source law but doesn't that violate it? Or am I missing the point entirely?

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

The "light version" is not clear to me. Does this mean that part of an addon can be excluded? For example, one of my addons has a reports section with five reports. Are you saying that could be changed to four reports and have the fifth say something like, "Only available in the paid package."? I'm no expert in open source law but doesn't that violate it? Or am I missing the point entirely?

If the code in the fifth report uses GPL code, then the fifth report must also be licensed under the GPL.

:heart:, osCommerce

Back on topic.

• Commercial advertisements are not allowed in Add-On descriptions. Developers are however welcome to promote their commercial services and donation links in the documentation inside their Add-On download package.

I support this particular provision, specifically to promoting commercial services links in the documentation side.

I've seen where several developers do this and it's gives a shop owner the option to have the add on installed for them.

Maybe the shop owner doesn't have the time/nor skill to do the install. Why not permit the code author to offer an install for fee. I've chatted with some shop owners who are very happy to have that install done for them.

At the same time, others (like me) like to do-it-yourself and here's this open source add on set to go. So I am seeing win/win in all this.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

deleted....double post error

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

Most important to me, as someone who has hired "non sponsoring programmer" from this forum and been disappointed beyond description, and used their signature and reputation as a poster (yes, stupid me...) as a reference is that this type of commercial advertising stops for all who are not a sponsors and thereby "approved" by the owners of the forum.

I like many others are transient to this forum and do not understand or care about the politics behind curtain. So, when someone (anyone) is allowed to advertise in anyway I think (@@Harald Ponce de Leon) OsC risks having the employer assume you have "approved" this person when in fact you haven't.

I say clamp down... no advertising except by sponsors period.

If not, and you wish to allow this to be a type of activity continue, like another posted suggested (sorry I can't recall who), a community rating system like ebay or freelancer is a must.

@@greasemonkey

Your post would suggest that all sponsors have been checked and approved by oscommerce. You or I can become a sponser just by paying a very small fee. Check out this page http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/subscriptions/

I personally say ban all forms of commercial advertising by anyone as most other forums do. That way no one can accuse anyone of doing any thing they shouldnt, and hopefully harmony can once again be restored to these forums. If people loose money out of this, then they were only on these forums to make money, and not for the benefit of oscommerce and its users, which is what these forums should be for. Partners can still get a mention, as I would like to think these have been vetted and all the code they supply is under the GPL license and can be used by anyone.

The paid help section has not helped things here, and that should either be opened up to eveyone, or again got rid of. If not an open rating system should be placed in the forums for all to read. Those who do not do a good job, will not get other work because of these ratings. What oscommerce has got to be carefull of is that it could be made liable for what people are posting.

I know for a fact that the attitude of some members of these forums have driven people away from using oscommerce, myself included. All I will say is that what ever happens must be the best for oscommerce and not just a few members of these forums. Oscommerce needs to regain its position as the best cart software that is available. If coders move away, they are more than welcome to try to start their own cart software. this has been tried by several, but only a few have suceeded.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Archived