• Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Open discussion on SEO

burt

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The products reviews should built in product_info.php as a module and forget outlinked pages.

:blink:
osCommerce based shop owner with minimal design and focused on background works. When the less is more.
Email managment with tracking pixel, package managment for shipping, stock management, warehouse managment with bar code reader, parcel shops management on 3000 pickup points without local store.

• 2 weeks later...

We need some help, our seo has dropped in the last few weeks, and I'm not sure where to begin.

We've had longstanding strong placement for our topic and have been around for a long time.

I'm ashamed to say I'm not even sure where to begin, or even what fields in our database are open to google's bots. A friend set us up years ago on OS and it's been solid and good, but needs updating and not sure where to start.

Is there remedial help for people such as us?

@@Gergely

Apologies in advance if this isn't the right place to ask about this...but with the GitHub fix as above installed for fixing the cPath issues I am seeing this going on for a non existent category.

myshopname dot com/-c-217.html

yields a 302 status then takes the visitor to myshopname dot com/index/html

whereas it would be better to generate a 404 status error and 404 page?

I am not sure what else would be generating the 302 and redirect. This may not be related to the GitHub fix but I am starting there.

Thanks

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

@@altoid

Never mind! Yes, this is good point but my live sites use USU5 where the 404 page is displaying. I use error page handler on my server.

404 status:

Not Found

The requested URL /-c-310.html was not found on this server.

addons: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/933

or you can declare in htaccess the error pages.

osCommerce based shop owner with minimal design and focused on background works. When the less is more.
Email managment with tracking pixel, package managment for shipping, stock management, warehouse managment with bar code reader, parcel shops management on 3000 pickup points without local store.

@@Gergely Thank you. I have a shop with USU5 and do see the same output as you regarding the 404 code. Another shop (using Chemo's SEO urls is generating the 302 status and redirecting non existent categories back to the home page. I can't find where the 302 redirect code is coming from, it's not in htaccess. Still looking for that source. Something I did probably. :)

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

@@altoid

Temporary redirecting is not good solution. If something is not exist than should be redirect an exist category or display 404 page. If you have external links as referal to your shop on non-exist category try to redirect relevant content. If false categories generated by robots you can inform about it that is bad with using 404 page. If you redirected robots with 302 code the robot thinks of "hey this is a good way!" and do it again and again.

I have 500-600 new and outdated products per year. I dont like losing their page ranks when switch off olds and generate new ones so I redirect all of the old to new products. The catagories are the same.

@@Gergely

I agree. I am trying to find where in my shop's coding why non existent category urls are being redirected via 302 to the index page. I've checked htaccess, template_top, application_top and index.php with no luck. I'll keep looking. Thanks

Just a follow up with some feedback on the above commit. About 6 weeks after installing this my duplicate title, etc content on google went from something like a couple hundred to zero. Very helpful for SEO at least as far as Google is concerned.

@@altoid

We got the penguin-2 feet. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have bought x 2 domains www.same-name.com and one www.same-name.co.uk ( the domain name is fictional )

The main domain that I am working on at the minute is the www.same-name.co.uk this is hair acessories / fashion etc...

I would like also to sell on .com eventually but want to avoid the dreaded duplicate content from Google anybody any experience with this.?

I could change the product description slightly but would be nicer if with the .com I could target more the USA / international market

and just keep google happy.

The .com I would also be thinking of adding a few languages Spanish / French / German being the most popular have previously had success with this as regards sales wish I could speak Chinese :D

Any input welcome

Regards

Joli

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

Here is the addon that this thread produced:

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8864

Note:

not everything discussed made it into the 1st version of the addon.

Some of the things in this addon made it into the core code of 2.3.3.4

Some of the things in this addon will be in the core code of future versions of osc

Update on Meta Keywords:

absolutely unused by all the major search engines with the exception of Baidu (chinese search engine). In Google, many sites are shown which LINK to the site with the keyword meta tag, but these sites are all useless "scraper" sites such as webstatsdomain.net, webwiki.com etc etc. It is better to not have this type of site linking to you in my opinion. Conclusion: Meta Keywords = waste of time, unless you are into the Chinese market - Use the Meta Keywords as a internal search engine instead.

Here is the addon that this thread produced:

Thanks Gary, much appreciated. It's now on my every present "to do" list.

• 2 weeks later...

Header Tags SEO Reloaded - Updated

2013 11 12 - Removal of Twitter Cards (now included in Core osCommerce)

2013 11 12 - Removal of Adwords Conversion (now included in Core osCommerce)

2013 11 12 - Removal of ht_product_og_facebook (replaced by ht_product_opengraph)

2013 11 12 - Addition of ht_product_opengraph

2013 11 12 - Addition of category description output in index.php

2013 11 12 - Addition of manufacturer description output in index.php

@@burt, Hey Gary, thank you very kindly. I have gone ahead and installed/updated my product_info and product_reviews_info with the changes to now include the "Structured Data" (rich snippets for Scheme.org).

It took a little work with my store, and SPPC - I had to make some of the price changes in priceformatter.php

I'll report back any changes in google (according to webmaster tools, at this time, structured data is "missing") - I don't expect anything dramatic, however, you never know. I'm sure it will take weeks/months for google to pick up the changes (I have verified, of course, the exists in the source data).

Just been asked by a client to show the given "seo title" for the category/manufacturer in the breadcrumb.

I will add this into the next release, but if anyone else wants it:

/includes/application_top.php

Find:

$categories_query = tep_db_query("select categories_name from " . TABLE_CATEGORIES_DESCRIPTION . " where categories_id = '" . (int)$cPath_array[$i] . "' and language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'");

Change to:

$categories_query = tep_db_query("select coalesce(categories_seo_title, categories_name) as categories_name from " . TABLE_CATEGORIES_DESCRIPTION . " where categories_id = '" . (int)$cPath_array[$i] . "' and language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'");

Find:

$manufacturers_query = tep_db_query("select manufacturers_name from " . TABLE_MANUFACTURERS . " where manufacturers_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'] . "'");

Change to:

$manufacturers_query = tep_db_query("select coalesce(manufacturers_seo_title, manufacturers_name) as manufacturers_name from " . TABLE_MANUFACTURERS . " where manufacturers_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'] . "'");

and lastly if you want to show the given seo title for the product (rather than show the products model, find this:

$model_query = tep_db_query("select products_model from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " where products_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'] . "'");

Change to:

$model_query = tep_db_query("select coalesce(pd.products_seo_title, p.products_model) as products_model from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " p, " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " pd where p.products_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'] . "' and p.products_id = pd.products_id and pd.language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'");

Now your breadcrumb uses your given SEO names for your categories, for your manufacturers and for your products.

Does this seo package do anything different or better than any other seo package. I currently use headdertags_seo on my store, but should I remove that and use this one, or should I be using them both. Totally at a loss over this, and just need a bit of advice

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

This one is using modern code, with new ideas based on latest thoughts shop owners like you who are at the sharp end of selling to customers (rather than people like me who make code happen but are not at the sharp end).

If the one you already have are happy with, stick with it.

My advice would be to use this one in preference to any other as elements of this one will be rolled into the core of osCommerce (as has already happened with a few modules).

The meta description, while not influencing where Google ranks your page (all that much, if at all), is still critically important. It is the difference between a human looking at your page entry in the search engine results and saying "meh", or saying "hey, this looks interesting -- I think I'll click on it and see more." After all, isn't that the ultimate objective?

I just want to chime in and say that you're bang on. Good meta descriptions should be a part of any good online marketing strategy, especially any good SEO strategy. Beyond helping your placement in SEO (which it almost assuredly does, even if in a very minor way), it helps explain to the customer what the product you're selling is, which - if google does its job - will be what they were looking for to begin with. Never skimp on meta!

I just came across this post over the weekend

What is the new SEO

https://medium.com/on-startups/f15264e5d790

For me it means I have to really get serious about google+ and keep on improving the site speed

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

Archived