• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Open discussion on SEO

burt

Yes definitely had in the past a lot of success using multilingual capabilities strongest sales besides the English language were France and Germany but was a while ago, simply not so much competition in the other languages.

Joli

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here the particular page on google help that discusses this

https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/189077?hl=en

rel="alternate" hreflang="x"

Help Google serve the correct language or regional URL

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

Yes definitely had in the past a lot of success using multilingual capabilities strongest sales besides the English language were France and Germany but was a while ago, simply not so much competition in the other languages.

Joli

Joli

Sorry Spanish was also good

• 1 month later...

To be honest i am not good in SEO about it but i am happy to see some here ,lately i am focusing on handling a työaika or working hour system and includng osCommerce core and both of these are really challenging cause they have a lot of reason to be learn everyday.

• 1 month later...

@@burt The concept of deep linking is good but hard to implement easily especially on large shops. For those who don't know about deep linking, it's the practice of linking to an internal page of a website such as the product page instead of the index page.

What are someone's thoughts about deep linking as part of SEO?

• 2 weeks later...

In the end, that's all true. But how can you get your (potential) customers there. A good seo for you category page also seems extremely important. When you sell 30 different types of a product, all with the relevant titles, keywords, tags, image names etc. in place, you might want to attract your visitors to the category page first, to impress them with your range of products and a well written piece of content regarding that product category. Currently we're concerned with keyword stuffing on these category pages, since product names, links, partial descriptions etc. are repeated over and over again in the listing.

I try to group products into collections as much as possible and add relevant content for the collection.

A category for us is too wide to have focused content and keywords.

@@iTea lang geleden, eerste osF meeting, alles goed in't hoge noorden ?

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

You're not concerned by the repetitive use of "steelpan" in your category http://www.keukenlust.be/nl/kookpotten-steelpannen-c-60_51_251.html for example. Might Google consider this keyword stuffing and penalize you for it? We have similar category pages, with partial descriptions containing even more of the same (key)words. We're concerned by this at the moment seeing that competitors seem to rank higher with "low keyword density" category pages.

@@bruyndoncx Tsjaa, we worden ouder papa... alles goed, daar ook, down under? We "exporteren" veel thee naar België de laatste tijd!

You're not concerned by the repetitive use of "steelpan" in your category http://www.keukenlust.be/nl/kookpotten-steelpannen-c-60_51_251.html for example. Might Google consider this keyword stuffing and penalize you for it? We have similar category pages, with partial descriptions containing even more of the same (key)words. We're concerned by this at the moment seeing that competitors seem to rank higher with "low keyword density" category pages.

Not really, knowing that google knows we do ecommerce, selling products and having some of the semantics embedded on pages, I'm pretty sure they see these as pretty repititve product listings, looking quite natural, and not an abnormal way of trying to get more keywords stuffed into them. To be honest, I think we'll probably move more towards listings for google shopping for these kinds of pages.

But you might be right, google might not be that smart yet, but I'm not willing to start using variants that don't make sense to consumers, we stick to using particular terms that are most common in our flemish region.

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@@burt

Hi Gary,

Tested the new sitemap on a site/server with very strange security settings so was waiting for a whoopsie !!

But it was a breeze quick and  light weight :thumbsup:

Looking good have given now to Big Boss google webmaster tools  he says all is ok .

Did not submit manufactures as was not needed for this site.

Thanks

John

PS: Small site few hundred products.

Hello,

Have you seen the new functionnalitie inside google webmaster :  It's seo mobile. Now Google examine if the site is in reponsive and can take decision on your seo.

It's in  seach traffic menu.

Regards
-----------------------------------------
Loïc

Contact me by skype for business
Contact me @gyakutsuki for an answer on the forum

Yes, but now we can say, if you want to develop your business

, if you not invest in technical, marketing and security, it will more and more complicate to have a good presence. The budget of little business can explose

Regards
Loïc

yes I agree, but the little business want all free, included you Burt :)

Regards
Loïc

sorry to come back to this, but I'm staring again at this webmaster tools page about multi-lingual setup.

https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/189077

has anything been done with link rel="alternate" for multi-lingual sites ?

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

In the attached .zip you'll find a new system for creating XML sitemaps.  These 4 files create an up to date XML sitemap on every visit to them, on the fly.

This is different from the other XML sitemap addons I have seen as all these require a cron job or manual update.

Please feel free to download and test by uploading to your shop.  Any feedback you can provide will be useful.

XML sitemaps.zip

These XML sitemaps work fine.   I've had them installed since Gary was testing.  I set them up on both Google and Bing tools,  All's good. 

In the attached .zip you'll find a new system for creating XML sitemaps.  These 4 files create an up to date XML sitemap on every visit to them, on the fly.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

• 4 weeks later...

@@burt I use the latest version Ultimate SEO Urls 5 by FWR Media. It seems to be working fine.

My question is "Are the canonical links suppose to be the same as the links in the address bar of the browser?"

Also, How do I  get rid of "Index Page Title" on the main page? Or let me know what edits to make

Thanks

Archived