• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How to turn a customization into an add-on?

Julien324

Hello,

I am very new to osCommerce.

I developed a customization (basically sort of a widget showing infos to the customers) and tested it against various versions of osCommerce.

Now I'd like to make it an add-on / module. Not sure where to start?

Any documentation?

I have seen most modules have an install.php file ...

Any guidelines?

Thanks a lot!

@@Julien324

Currently, ALL contributions are manually installed. There is NO install.php or any installer incorporated into osCommerce. Therefore, you would have to supply any new files and manual code edit instructions with your contribution to allow others to install it.

I suggest downloading a couple of FULL PACKAGE contribution to get an example of how they are packaged.

Chris

Thanks chris.

Actually I dug into install.php files, and it is mostly about inserts into the DB.

I will try to follow the same process as Full package contributions.

I guess this means I have to make as few modifications as possible into files and have most of my code inside my own php files, so the manual install is easier.

Thanks a lot.

@@Julien324

The install files yu may have found in some contributions, do as you imply, they either create or modify database tables, making it a step or 2 shorter for the one installing.

Depending what you have made, there are a few ways to go about it, you could create a mod that links into the oscTemplate class, and then create a module file for it. Again, depending what you made, it could hook into a template block and function, or simply hook to nothing, yet the module file controls adding or removing its functioanility where ever it may be.

Other than that, carefully write out instructions of what to find, and what to replace with, and a set of sql commands to run. You may find it more work than you wish to deal with writing out documentation, and in that case, simply write a thorough description of what your modification will do, and include the editied files with notes to use a file comparision program for instlling + any sql commands.

If anyone else finds good use for the contribution, they may addon/edit/modify it (including istructions) for the use of others.

I hope that did not confuse you, but in time it "may" become clear.

So what do you have in mind to release? Letting the community know my be the first step in the right direction.

Follow the community build:

BS3 to osCommerce Responsive from the Get Go!

Check out the new construction:

Admin Gone to Total BS!