• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

GLWalker

Kremoya online shop, http://kremoya.net , is built on the osCommerce 2.3.X series. It features a responsive framework, checkout funnel, and multilingual switching between English and Spanish, including banner areas which change on language switch.

No real changes were done to the banner manager, just simply appended . $language to the end of the banner name. At first I used a fall back, if the banners defined language did not exist, then load banner without any language extension. However, that is an expensive way to serve banners, so to cut down on queries I just added the language name to the end of each banner group. (come to think of it, I may have increased the length of the banner_group column)

Another feature I'd like to point out is the responsive design. No fancy mobile detection scripts, or tons of extra files - responsive design comes with its own heavier than usual features as it is, no need wasting server space and resources, not to mention the extra file maintance. Certian things hide when in mobile view, while other things load.

The checkout funnel, as I coined it, is simply a reduced checkout procedue that starts on the shopping cart page

Shopping_cart > Login/create accout > shipping and billing > confirm

No side columns, no distractions. Simply a full page view with each element structured in a way that is easy to follow, and loads in good order in smaller screens as well.

As well as the standard login/create account, the customer has an option to use facebook or goolgle to login, or continue on as a guest.

All suggestions are appreciated.

Follow the community build:

BS3 to osCommerce Responsive from the Get Go!

Check out the new construction:

Admin Gone to Total BS!

• 2 weeks later...

@

Thanks for sharing and explaining what's driving this. checked it out on my android...

The rwd is very interesting. on the android overall, nice presentation. the left two social links are skewed far left. twitter appear to be slightly out of the body area.

took the checkout process up to shopping_cart..worked well and looks very user friendly/attractive on the android.

nice, nice work.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

@@joli1811

Thanks for the kind comments. I noticed the facebook title sticks out at certian sizes, but It loads from facebook and I havent figured out how to make it break line or even hide for that matter - I do believe I styled the box with overflow: hidden and yet it still hangs around.

Any chance of a copy haha :D

Soon I will be releasing the framework with a bog standard theme on GitHub. Ive got to clean up some of the bloat first, Im running more scripts than I have too, mainly becuase of the admin still needing *some jQuery UI elements, and the buttons are still jQuery UI. The framework Im using is from http://foundation.zurb.com/ . I'm using the 3.x version, while they have recently released V4, which is a bit lighter and faster overall. I plan to convert the admin and then drop back to the catalog with all the new tricks.

@@altoid

Thanks. Good to know it works well on the Andriod, I have not been able to view on one, but today after reading your reply I found this: http://itabbar.com/

I noticed the social links just dont fit quite as well on a smaller screen, I am tempted to just hide them in small screen mode. They could be stacked atop each other, but then they take up valuable real estate. I wonder how may mobile users would actually use them anyway?

Follow the community build:

BS3 to osCommerce Responsive from the Get Go!

Check out the new construction:

Admin Gone to Total BS!

guess lately the social media aspect is getting more important noticed a month ago that more users/customer on a typically 18 - 24 year old website tended to connect more through face book etc using mobile devices so guess me being an oldie I have to change .

Last website I would hazard a guess that more than %50 used mobile so ??? It was targeted towards face book users but really made me think :-

What happens if you take this out of the box and insert index.php or footer.php

PS: I seem to remember there is a minimum width (290 PX) about the width for these boxes but really not sure just an ear worm :) maybe back to facebook developer tools

All in all a great site .

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

Archived