• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Newbie - Can figure how to install addons

Deelee

Hi

I have just installed oscommerce and am having a real problem understanding how to install the addons, normally previous carts I have used this has been easily done via the admin panel.

One of the addons I am trying to install is http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/5407

My installation of oscommerce is installed directly under public_html, so I downloaded the addon, unzipped it and uploaded it to the admin folder:

/public_html/admin/RequiredCustomerDetails_22rc2a

Then I log into cpanel and go to phpmyadmin, but I cannot see the database Installation-CustomerDetails.sql anywhere.

Please can anyone advise. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance

Dee

@@Deelee

Dee, also if you just installed osC, then it may be a newer version and that add on is for older versions. If so that will complicate things a bit.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

Hi

Well I am running v2.3.3 and just double checked and the first two addons are for versions 2.2, does that mean they won't work with the latest version?

Not at all, it's a fair point, however the first think I did was read the Installation file, but with the Customer Required Fields add on it said:

Sorry, no time nor the will to write full-blown install instructions.

Just compare the files with KDiff3, or copy over existing files.

Being a total newbie, that means nothing to me.

Then it gave the SQL code to run, but as I mentioned when I checked using phpmyadmin, there was no database showing called Installation-CustomerDetails.sql

Second addon I tried was Store Mode, the first step says:

* STEP 1 *

in catalog/index.php

Find this:

<tr>

<td><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tr>

<td class="pageHeading"><?php echo HEADING_TITLE; ?></td>

<td class="pageHeading" align="right"><?php echo tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'table_background_default.gif', HEADING_TITLE, HEADING_IMAGE_WIDTH, HEADING_IMAGE_HEIGHT); ?></td>

</tr>

</table></td>

</tr>

My copy is installed at the root, so I looked at the index.php file under public_html and the above code is not there.

So all in all not having a great start.

Are there any addons for the latest version that allow you to collect additional customer details? I need them to enter their full address, as well as a few other fields.

Thanks

Dee

@@Deelee

Dee....yea I'd say step back, take a deep breath before deciding what you want to tackle here. Being a newbie there's a bunch that needs to be digested so as you don't spin your wheels too much.

The 2.2 series add ons can be adapted to 2.3 if they have not already. There's a tutorial here on the forums how to do that by @@kymation.

But I'd recommend not tackling that and look for addons alreay full converted over. Not to be further discouraging but sometimes folks upload add ons that are buggy or don't have perfect install instructions. It's part of the nature of how things are and work.

The applications that compare files are great tools but you need to know what your looking at to begin with mostly.

And the SQL that you mentioned is another matter. database updates are generally done from your hosts control panel (nothing directly to do with osc) then into something call phpmyadmin which ultimately allows you to run an sql query that will alter the database you are working with.

so anyway, not to be discouraging but there's a bunch of basic concepts to get down before you tackle add ons and such.

my recommendation is peruse through various forum postings along the topics you are interested in and read them over. search the forums for specific topics that deal with newbie questions.

check this out, it may help as well. it's a bit dated but some good fundamentals are there.

good luck

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.