• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

"-2147219101 missing value for service" USPS error message

krdito

Last Friday (Jan 25, 2013), despite making no changes whatsoever, our USPS shipping module no longer provides shipping costs! Instead of providing the cost for parcel post, Priority Mail, and Express Mail, our site shows the customer this error message on the checkout shipping page: -2147219101 missing value for service

Thinking the error was due to the pending "rename" of "parcel post" to "standard post" effective today, we simply deselected this option, but the error remains.

We spent the entire weekend trying to find the reason for this error message, but to no avail. We even spoke to the tech support people at the USPS, but they said it not an issue on their end. We uninstalled and reinstalled the shipping module and verified our zip code is entered correctly. We even searched the internet for this error message, but were not able to find an fix.

We are desperate for help to resolve this error message!

Anyone have any suggestions? We have been shipping with the USPS since 2004 and have never had this error until last Friday.

Thanks to anyone who might be able to help!

Sorry I can't help but we have the same problem. We have the latest version of the USPS methods (6.1b) installed on our osC 2.2 and it was working really well. Yesterday, I first updated the names of the services in the catalog/includes/modules/shipping/usps.com file and everything was working fine, except for I couldn't get the the first class package international service rates to show up, even after the correct name was entered. I then uninstalled the module and reinstalled it. That made the international shipping work (including first class) but now all of the domestic options are gone and it shows the same mistake (-2147219101 Missing value for Service). I'm at a loss of where to start looking, since international shipping works perfectly. If you ever find out what the problem is, please post here and I'll do the same.

irisnoir - so sorry to hear you are having the same problem. My husband "avec" is very experienced with OsCommerce and is at a complete loss on this one. Maybe our collective (and desperate) pleas for help will be heard!

In the interim, we have switched to a "per item" shipping cost for Priority Mail, which works OK because it does not require a connection to the USPS for rates, but is not a long-term option.

Hoping for help soon!

Thanks for your reply, irisnoir. We installed the contribution you referenced above and now receive the following error message:

An error occured with the USPS shipping calculations.

If you would like to use USPS as your shipping method, please contact the store owner.

Anyone know what we need to do to fix this? We are desperate for help! Thanks to anyone who can help sort this out!

• 6 months later...

All fixed!

Awesome that you fixed it.....any way you could provide some more detail on what you fixed, how it was fixed or what was wrong?

That would help myself and anyone else doing a google search for "-2147219101 Missing value for Service oscommerce" and coming across this forum post.

Thanks

Edited by Monk

The fix was a trial by error approach. We deselected all shipping options in the Admin panel, then added them back, one at a time, until we found the one that basically crashed the module.

Because this was more than 6 months ago, and we were plagued with a new host of issues with the July 28th changes, I don't recall specifically with shipping option or options were the culprits, but we were able to isolate them by doing as described in the preceeding paragraph.

Good luck and sorry to not be much help! There is at least one busy thread that addresses the July 28th changes, so you may glean something by looking at the issues other folks experienced.

Thanks for the update. Last night I had installed the newest version on about 5 sites. Some of them worked like a charm and one of them not. This morning one of the sites stopped giving rates and I think it was after the client modified the selected rates. I removed and added it back and worked fine. So I think you are onto something there were one of the rates NOT being selected is killing it.

Another one of the sites International worked fine but domestic did not give any rates which is the site I got that error "-2147219101 Missing value for Service"

I think it could be one of the other settings like Retail vs Internet - no idea what that does.....

Thanks again. If I figure it out for my sites at least I'll come back and make a detailed post.

• 2 months later...

I received this same error right after updating to USPS-osCommerce-7.1.0(1) (1).tar.gz (the patch suggested earlier to fix it) - I upgraded to fix International shipping which auto-broke (again!). I was only using two Domestic shipping methods, Priority Mail and Express Mail. I turned off Express Mail option, and it works now! International shipping works again too!

• 2 weeks later...

I, too, am experiencing this problem.

Thing I noticed is that when the USPS module is "installed" via the admin ->modules -> shipping, all the values for package sizes, shipping methods, etc. are present.

When I edit the module to Enter the USPS User ID, uncheck some of the display options and then click on "Save" when the module reloads all the package size information is set to "Array", none of the shipping methods are checked and none of the display options are check. If I go in to edit them and again click save, none of the changes are saved.

Any clues to what I may be missing?

Oh, osCommerce 2.3.3.4, USPS 7.1 with the two fixes (trying to back out of accidentally "upgrading to USPS Methods 6_4")

One question though. Because I had accidentally 'upgraded to 6_4 from 7.1, I also performed the sql operations that included. This lead me to look at the information in the configuration table of my database where I noticed multiple entries for configuration_title = Dimensions Support. The latest one was from the configuration_shipping.sql file in USPS Methods 6_4. How many entries of this particular record should there be?

Judith

Edited by J_Fyrebird

@J_Fyrebird Your module requires a change to admin/includes/modules.php which you have apparently not made. Do that, then remove and reinstall the module.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

• 2 weeks later...

Dears,

I install update USPS module. also got this error:

United States Postal Service (1 pkg, 0.50 lbs total)

-2147219101 Missing value for Service.

Would you please help to give your suggestion asap?

Edited by sunrise99

Just fix it. You need change admin/modules.php

from old

// USPS START

if( is_array( $value ) ) $value = implode( ', ', $value);

// USPS END

To

// USPS START

if( is_array( $value ) ){

$value = implode( ", ", $value);

$value = preg_replace ("/, --none--/", "", $value);

}